Congress urging baseball to ban smokeless tobacco

Shaft

http://www.google.co...5GE8ywD9F34QP80

Just saw this, hope it hasn't been posted yet, but... (also hoping it's on the right forum)

Seems kind of ridiculous. I personally find it disgusting, but what someone puts in their own body shouldn't really be anyone's business. They're outdoors, what does it matter? There's no second hand smoke involved. I know there's been "Tobacco Free Florida" ads during Marlins games for a few years now, but the government stepping in? Where will it stop?

EDIT: Was meaning to say *BAN smokeless tobacco, is it possible for me to edit my title?

ehh, honestly I might change my mind. It's already banned in the minor leagues and in a few years that new generation of players is sort of "weaned out" would it be a big deal? A lot of kids do watch baseball. Also, at the bottom of the page there are links to similar pages, and theres some video of a man who had his lower jaw removed due to cancer. Kind of... nauseating.

Guest Guest

I think that stuff is disgusting, but I think such a move to ban it from MLB would be terrible. Unfortunately, that seems to be what this country is moving toward.

They should also ban them from cursing while on the field.

I don't chew and think it's pretty nasty but if guys wanna chew let them chew. As for the ban in the minors I wonder how strictly that in enforced.

While this is quite topical after Tiger Woods' colourful language last week at the Masters, I am going to say I have no problem whatsoever at cursing during a sporting event. Heck, I get rather pissed at times on the golf course and swear out loud. I can understand people saying it sets a bad example for the kids, but when you hit a bad shot, why shouldn't you express your disgust at it? Especially for professional sportsmen, when like a bad shot in golf or in baseball a pop-up can potentially cost them $$$.

That's f***ing stupid.

I don't chew or smoke (or drink for that matter) so I'm not for tobacco but for the government to tell MLB to ban something that is perfectly legal, that's sheer stupidity.

This.

It's nice to know our Congress is worried about tobacco chewing in the majors... what a joke.

Guest Guest

That's a bit of a red herring. If MLB bans the substance due to Congressional "pressuring" or "urging" it doesn't change the fact that it's a bad league policy. I don't think it should be banned in MILB either.

Why does Congress think it should be pressuring MLB to be doing anything? Do you really think that this is an issue that our federal elected officials should be concerned with and dedicating time to?

I love some of the silly logic in the that article too. Waxman's always been one of the most repulsive people in Congress, but I love Anna Eshoo's purely ignorant remark that the players should just chew gum instead of dip. Is she aware of the fact that it isn't really chewed? Is she ignoring the fact that it has the effects of nicotine?

Let's put the social engineering to rest.

That's a bit of a red herring. If MLB bans the substance due to Congressional "pressuring" or "urging" it doesn't change the fact that it's a bad league policy. I don't think it should be banned in MILB either.

Why does Congress think it should be pressuring MLB to be doing anything? Do you really think that this is an issue that our federal elected officials should be concerned with and dedicating time to?

I love some of the silly logic in the that article too. Waxman's always been one of the most repulsive people in Congress, but I love Anna Eshoo's purely ignorant remark that the players should just chew gum instead of dip. Is she aware of the fact that it isn't really chewed? Is she ignoring the fact that it has the effects of nicotine?

Let's put the social engineering to rest.

What a stupid argument. If gum and dip were really interchangeable, why not let them dip? Clearly there is a significant difference between the two so why simplify the issue with that ridiculous comparison?

With everything going on in our country, why is Congress preoccupying themselves with something as irrelevant as whether or not grown men should be allowed to use legal substances?

If children watching baseball is the area of concern, just make children aware of the consequences of dipping which they've already been doing with tobacco free Florida commercials. Although I never had any intention of dipping, after having watched that terrifying commercial of the man missing his jaw, it only reinforced my stance.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.