Do the Uggla & Ross trade rumors start soon ?

Right now its Johnson, and everyone else. What am I not seeing ? I haven't been blinded by the Lord yet. Maybe by Father Morgan, but thats a story for another time.

You see what you want. There's no point.

Well tell where is Andrew Miller ? Where is Jeff Allison ? Those are guys that should be cornerstones of our rotation.

Wait what?!

Allison, 1st round pick and Miller traded for Cabrerra. You need to do better than what we have done in the FO. You can't keep missing on 1st round picks, and trades and expect the team to be a playoff team. This time Beinfest has to get the better of the trades to come, because Cody, Uggla and Cantu together won't garner us what we should have gotten for Cabrerra. That trade with Detroit really will handicap this team for years. You needed to haul in Ft. Knox with that trade and instead you got the gold from Mike's Pawn Shop in downtown Miami. :confused The trade for Hanley was a good one, but its been evened out with the trade of Cabrerra/Willis.

Back to square one for the FO.

I'm usually not one to point fingers at people who so call "troll" on this site, but at this point a little time off seasons sufficient. I understand certain people voicing their opinions, but this does seem like Sister Mary is simply arguing for the sake of arguing rather than trying to make a point.

Right now its Johnson, and everyone else. What am I not seeing ? I haven't been blinded by the Lord yet. Maybe by Father Morgan, but thats a story for another time.

You see what you want. There's no point.

Well tell where is Andrew Miller ? Where is Jeff Allison ? Those are guys that should be cornerstones of our rotation.

Wait what?!

Allison, 1st round pick and Miller traded for Cabrerra. You need to do better than what we have done in the FO. You can't keep missing on 1st round picks, and trades and expect the team to be a playoff team. This time Beinfest has to get the better of the trades to come, because Cody, Uggla and Cantu together won't garner us what we should have gotten for Cabrerra. That trade with Detroit really will handicap this team for years. You needed to haul in Ft. Knox with that trade and instead you got the gold from Mike's Pawn Shop in downtown Miami. :confused The trade for Hanley was a good one, but its been evened out with the trade of Cabrerra/Willis.

Back to square one for the FO.

I know WHO they are, it's just a silly notion. Who though Allison was going to go all Josh Hamilton on us?

Now our FO doesn't do anything right (not drafting, not trades)? Silly. That Cabrera trade was the best we could do at that moment (our biggest mistake was waiting so long to trade him). Seriously, you're beating this FO on 2 moves. And yeah, all those failed 1st round pick that they never make good on, like 2009 Rookie of the Year Chris Coghlan.

Mary Mary, why you buggin'?

I still don't think the Cabrera trade was that awful. Everyone and their mothers knew we weren't going to be able to resign Miguel. Maybin and Miller were highly regarded prospects (and Badenhop is more than servicable). The problem is that the FO felt the need to insert Miller ASAP into the rotation and not give him the proper seasoning to our style of pitching and be able to be coached up in the minor leagues. Now, this is somewhat excusable by the fact that Detroit rushed Miller to the big leagues via their contract so it sorta painted the FO into a corner with that and with the fact that Miggy was our most popular player at the time and the FO didn't want to look like fools in getting players that really needed some more time. They wanted, I bet, to show people "Hey, we got an immediate payback!"

I know WHO they are, it's just a silly notion. Who though Allison was going to go all Josh Hamilton on us?

Now our FO doesn't do anything right (not drafting, not trades)? Silly. That Cabrera trade was the best we could do at that moment (our biggest mistake was waiting so long to trade him). Seriously, you're beating this FO on 2 moves. And yeah, all those failed 1st round pick that they never make good on, like 2009 Rookie of the Year Chris Coghlan.

Mary Mary, why you buggin'?

Lets reserve judgment on Chris. His slow start seems to be extended this year. He might be just a a one-year wonder. Lets hope he gets it going soon.

It just seems that maybe some new fresh blood in the FO might help.

But seriously, where is this team going ? We all know Uggla has to be gone by the end of the year. If they wait too long, they won't get diddly for him. They may not anyways. Last year was the year to trade him, but we couldn't as long as we stayed close to the WC. Is the team being primed for a big year in 2012 ? Then a lot of changes have to be made this off-season to set that up.

By the way, getting rid of Uggla, Cody and Cantu, while the correct things to do, will be perceived once again by the locals here in Miami as another "firesale" and gives them more reason to distrust Loria. That is another reason to get rid of Uggla last year, just to deflect a lot of the "firesale" talk that will come up this off-season.

Loria will have his hands full and a PR nightmare that the stadium opening alone will not make go away. Yes at 1st the public will love the new place, but this is Miami, and the new glitter and glam of the new stadium will last a few weeks and then the crowds will subside to more normal Marlins crowds. Its then that Loria and his word about spending for the team will be tested.

Can this season be saved ?

yes, just ask the 2003 marlins or the 2007 Rockies.. we are one month into an entire season campaign. We have been playing below our potential for a few weeks, so has the rest of the division save for the mets. we are only 3 games back with over 100 to go...people need to calm down....seriously

Well! That's a perfect segway into a Fredi Gonzalez discussion. Didn't both those teams in both those years replace their managers and, who then sparked their team into the playoffs?

I don't think it's time to throw in the towel yet, but I personally would like the brass to do something sooner rather than later. Anything.

I still don't think the Cabrera trade was that awful. Everyone and their mothers knew we weren't going to be able to resign Miguel. Maybin and Miller were highly regarded prospects (and Badenhop is more than servicable). The problem is that the FO felt the need to insert Miller ASAP into the rotation and not give him the proper seasoning to our style of pitching and be able to be coached up in the minor leagues. Now, this is somewhat excusable by the fact that Detroit rushed Miller to the big leagues via their contract so it sorta painted the FO into a corner with that and with the fact that Miggy was our most popular player at the time and the FO didn't want to look like fools in getting players that really needed some more time. They wanted, I bet, to show people "Hey, we got an immediate payback!"

But you can't act that way as a GM. You have to do what is better for the long-term of your franchise. If Miller needed to go to the minors 1st, he should have been there. Period. Beinfest screwed that one up. He should have taken the PR hit but moved Cabrerra the year before he did, and gotten the Crown Jewels of someone's organization, instead of their fools gold that we received instead.

The FO will get a free pass concerning whomever is traded as the precursor to Mike Stanton's arrival in the big leagues. The fanbase is too excited about this kid to be really upset if his arrival means that Dan Uggla is gone, IMO.

What if Mike Stanton = Jeremy Hermida (by the way another 1st round bust by Beinfest) ? You can't put all your eggs in that one basket. If it busts you are really screwed.

But you can't act that way as a GM. You have to do what is better for the long-term of your franchise. If Miller needed to go to the minors 1st, he should have been there. Period. Beinfest screwed that one up. He should have taken the PR hit but moved Cabrerra the year before he did, and gotten the Crown Jewels of someone's organization, instead of their fools gold that we received instead.

I agree in that I think we struck with Miller at a big league level too long. But he is still relatively young and so is Maybin, so if they struggle for, let's say, the next two years or so, but then meet expectations or even, dare I say it, pass them for the next five to six years after that, then yes, the trade is worth it. For Miller, people point to Randy Johnson, who didn't really become Randy Johnson until he was 27 or so.

It is hard to put a stamp of failure on the trade when both players are still learning and growing. If Miller is suddenly in Single A ball with no future and Maybin is out of here for a handful of neglible prospects, then yeah, we can have this discussion. The future of these players may not be as bright as one might have thought in being traded for Miggy, but any grade we give has to be incomplete at this point.

and gotten the Crown Jewels of someone's organization, instead of their fools gold that we received instead.

We got like 5/10 of the Tigers' top Prospects including at the time the #6 and #10 prospect in baseball. That was a haul at the time, regardless of how it turned out.

I agree in that I think we struck with Miller at a big league level too long. But he is still relatively young and so is Maybin, so if they struggle for, let's say, the next two years or so, but then meet expectations or even, dare I say it, pass them for the next five to six years after that, then yes, the trade is worth it. For Miller, people point to Randy Johnson, who didn't really become Randy Johnson until he was 27 or so.

It is hard to put a stamp of failure on the trade when both players are still learning and growing. If Miller is suddenly in Single A ball with no future and Maybin is out of here for a handful of neglible prospects, then yeah, we can have this discussion. The future of these players may not be as bright as one might have thought in being traded for Miggy, but any grade we give has to be incomplete at this point.

Sensible argument you make. Its just hard to sit back and wait for them to develop. I keep hearing about Stausburg and it makes me sick to think Washington has him.

and gotten the Crown Jewels of someone's organization, instead of their fools gold that we received instead.

We got like 5/10 of the Tigers' top Prospects including at the time the #6 and #10 prospect in baseball. That was a haul at the time, regardless of how it turned out.

Fine, but you can't make any mistakes when you have to live in the budget restricted world that the Marlins must operate in. Your margin of error is so much smaller because you can't buy your way out of the trouble like the Phillies, Yankees, Mets or Red Sox can do. This is why they had to do better. We are a "meh" looking team right now because Miller is not another Johnson, and the catcher we got (forgotten his name already) was not a McCann. Had those been studs, along with Allison panning out we would be true contenders.

Fine, but you can't make any mistakes when you have to live in the budget restricted world that the Marlins must operate in. Your margin of error is so much smaller because you can't buy your way out of the trouble like the Phillies, Yankees, Mets or Red Sox can do. This is why they had to do better. We are a "meh" looking team right now because Miller is not another Johnson, and the catcher we got (forgotten his name already) was not a McCann. Had those been studs, along with Allison panning out we would be true contenders.

Ok, Mungo, we get it. You think Beinfest is overrated. By the way, everyone knew Mike Rabelo sucked, and wouldn't become a Brian McCann. I don't know where you got that comparison from. Rabelo was a throw in.

It's May 5th. We are one game, one game under .500

Close. Thread.

But 3-7 in our last 10, and have lost 4 of the last 5 series.

I still dont get why this thread is happening. This is way too much of an overreaction, period. We could take tomorrow's game and find a way to sweep the Nats in DC... and then someone will post a thread on how we are now a lock for the playoffs. Part of the beauty of this game is the length of our season as a long haul race... let it play out!

It's May 5th. We are one game, one game under .500

Close. Thread.

But 3-7 in our last 10, and have lost 4 of the last 5 series.

I still dont get why this thread is happening. This is way too much of an overreaction, period. We could take tomorrow's game and find a way to sweep the Nats in DC... and then someone will post a thread on how we are now a lock for the playoffs. Part of the beauty of this game is the length of our season as a long haul race... let it play out!

Because people keep feeding the troll.