2010 MLB Draft Discussion

dim

Our pick is a lefty bat that could develope power (we have a lot of right handed hitters in our current line-up and need some balance eventually)... I wonder if Citi Field influenced the draft... The Mets play in a pitcher park where homers are hard to get; they rely on not trying to crush the ball in that park and going for gap power... The Marlins have a pitcher friendly park coming and I wonder if the approach is the same...get guys who can make contact and drive the ball in the gaps and no worry as much about power

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/2010-mlb-draft-selections/

23. Florida Marlins – Christian Yelich | 1B/OF | California HS

Yelich possesses the prettiest swing in the entire draft, a smooth left-handed stroke with very good bat speed. He hasn’t filled out his 6-foot-4, 190 pound frame, so scouts believe that the doubles he will show in the low minors will become home runs as he rises up the ladder. However, while he is quick enough to handle a corner outfield spot, Yelich has one of the ugliest throwing motions you will see from a first-round draft prospect. In all likelihood, he will be relegated to first base, where he’s likely to lead the position in steals down the road. (Bryan Smith)

I remember ten years (?) ago when they said Adrian Gonzalez had a sweet lefty swing

Yelich June 7 at 11:44pm Report

Thank you!!! Can't wait!

seems a nice kid :)

from what I read of him sounds sorta like hermida actually. A lefty with gap power that walks well should develop into his body more muscle so should left about 20 Hrs, speed for the 2 hole type hitter so around 20-30 bags a year. Perhaps a future line like 290/370/430/800 20/20

Would be a nice player for the Fish. I hope we sign him, of course as a Canes alum if we don't I do not mind too much :)

Bud Selig annoys me with the way he pronounces everything.

"With the 28th pick in the 2010 first year player draft, the Los Angeleez Dodgers select..."

I know that was so effing annoying by Bud Light.

Also I hated the way he gave a little smug nod after he said "And now the --- are on the clock"

He's just not a very likeable person.

Bud Selig annoys me with the way he pronounces everything.

"With the 28th pick in the 2010 first year player draft, the Los Angeleez Dodgers select..."

I know that was so effing annoying by Bud Light.

Also I hated the way he gave a little smug nod after he said "And now the --- are on the clock"

He's just not a very likeable person.

agree to everything you said

Rob Rasmussen, LHP

5-11, 170

UCLA

Games seen: 3, Innings: 11

PHYSICAL DESCRIPTION: Powerful lower half. Strong upper body. Average height.

STRENGTHS: FB 89-92 (91), above-average movement and command. Curveball 75-79 (79), well above-average rotation, tight depth and shape, two-plane with deceptive power. Fearless to pitch with his breaking ball, commands respect. Change-up 82-84, average velocity, movement and command. Slider 92-85 (84) with above-average movement and command. Slider has tilt and plane against right-handers. Different look from CB. Not the same pitch. Overall average command and control. Trusts CB as go-to pitch.

WEAKNESSES: Has had times of throwing too many CH in college career – not necessarily his fault. Absolute at his best when using all four pitches. Best when allowed to pitch with fastball. Better at using what works best on given day.

SUMMARY: Frontline 3-pitch LH ML starter. Most complete college LH starter in this draft for me. Extremely competitive and intelligent pitcher, up-tempo bulldog. Has the intangibles to pitch above his physical grades at the major league level.

http://baseballbeginnings.com/2010/05/28/rob-rasmussen-report/