Garrett Wittels ends Season on a 56 game hit streak

After Watching him play for about a week now all I have to say is this kid is an absolute wonder.

In 5 games I've seen him play there has not been a fastball over the plate that he didn't send into the Outfield.

He has good success on offspeed pitches aswell but tends to dip a bit and gets under the ball resulting in more flyball outs the hits.

I at first thought, oh the competition he's playing isn't that great so it must have been easy for him but even off teams best pitchers he manages to rips singles to right and center field.

No surprise now why he hit .400 this season with a total of 100 Hits in his Sophomore year and he's only going to get better in my opinion as he has a good work ethic, 1st one in the cages and about the last one out, and he has a great attitude as he always picks up his teammates and encourages them while they do the same for him.

His defensive ability is solid as well with the arm to be a shortstop but shows more confidence and better range at 2nd.

To sum it up, this kid good be a great MLB player if he keeps doing what he's doing but my only question is, Will he transfer to a more prestigious school or stay at FIU?

He can surely get into almost any University now athletically with the talent he has shown but he has said he loves his teammates and can't wait til they get back together next season so I feel he might stay a Golden Panther and hopes he breaks Ventura's streak next season. (For those of you who don't know the hit streak does carry over to the next season)

Why would he transfer? Turtle Thomas has been building FIU's baseball program from the ground up and they really aren't that far from matching University of Coral Gables (as MrAndMrsFish would call it). It's not like it's the football program.

But regardless, I've been following GW's streak all year and it was great to watch him hit 56 yesterday afternoon (Yay for JetBlue's in-flight DirectTV).

Why would he transfer? Turtle Thomas has been building FIU's baseball program from the ground up and they really aren't that far from matching University of Coral Gables (as MrAndMrsFish would call it). It's not like it's the football program.

But regardless, I've been following GW's streak all year and it was great to watch him hit 56 yesterday afternoon (Yay for JetBlue's in-flight DirectTV).

Good job on the shoutout there Rabbethan.....GW is a special kid and it will be great to watch him tie and break Ventura's record in Feb. 2011 when FIU opens up with UMass at home.

After watching Garrett play for two years now, I am ecstatic for him. I have been on the edge of my seat during this streak. He definitely is something special. I can't wait for February 2011.... FIU vs UMass at FIU Baseball Stadium! :)

After watching Garrett play for two years now, I am ecstatic for him. I have been on the edge of my seat during this streak. He definitely is something special. I can't wait for February 2011.... FIU vs UMass at FIU Baseball Stadium! :)

I'll be there. Hopefully he breaks the streak!

No chance he transfers. Hope everyone comes out for the rest of the season as well, not just those first few games. His story has been amazing, the greatest thing about it was also that FIU had it's best season since 2002 while he kept the streak alive. Here's hoping for another successful season next year.

• 4 weeks later...