conference expansion and reallignment

Iowa

probably not as big a story in your parts but its all i hear about up here. so many rumors. one that has surfaced today is nebraska to the big ten by friday. that could open the door for tcu to the big 12 or that could make texas and its step children (tech, a&m) along with ok, ok state and colorado to the pac 10.... which would then likely force notre dame and missouri to the big ten. which would leave kansas, k state, iowa state and baylor to usa or mwc. then we could see the big ten and sec take pick who they want from the big east/acc all while ending up with 4 16 team super conferences. or the big ten could just get notre dame and everything stops there. but if neb goes, it could start a domino effect.

probably not as big a story in your parts but its all i hear about up here. so many rumors. one that has surfaced today is nebraska to the big ten by friday. that could open the door for tcu to the big 12 or that could make texas and its step children (tech, a&m) along with ok, ok state and colorado to the pac 10.... which would then likely force notre dame and missouri to the big ten. which would leave kansas, k state, iowa state and baylor to usa or mwc. then we could see the big ten and sec take pick who they want from the big east/acc all while ending up with 4 16 team super conferences. or the big ten could just get notre dame and everything stops there. but if neb goes, it could start a domino effect.

nebraska is going to the big 10. let the merry go round begin.

this is a huge mess.

I figure the new divisions will be

West:

Iowa

Nebraska

Wisconsin

Illinois

Minnesota

Northwestern

East

Ohio State

Penn State

Michigan

Michigan State

Indiana

Purdue

I also assume the Big Ten Championship will probably be played in Indianapolis.

Iowa-Nebraska should be a great rivalry. Really like the addition. Iowa/Nebraska/Wisconsin and Ohio State/Penn State/Michigan should keep things nice and balanced as well.. although I could see the BIg Ten coming up with some sort of rotation division type setup.

With the Big 12 South moving to the Pac 10 (minus Baylor, plus Colorado), that leaves Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, Missouri and Baylor left. I think Missouri might have missed the boat and I think the Big Ten stops at 12 until Notre Dame wants in. When Notre Dame wants in, the Big Ten will focus on adding eastern teams. Missouri could be SOL. Gotta feel sorry for Kansas and that basketball program. Iowa State... hilarious. Have fun in the MAC.

I'm glad a thread like this started.

First, I dont think Notre Dame is going anywhere. I think Nebraska goes to the Big 10 and then the Big 10 becomes a 12 team conference. They'll have a rotation similar to what the ACC and SEC have. Then I wonder what happens to the teams that are left behind? Could Utah, Boise State, TCU, BYU, Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri, Iowa State and some other teams start their own conference?

I really dont understand the point of a 16 team conference, aside from tv dollars? In a recent espn article it said that the new Pac 10 would have two 8 team conferences and WOULD NOT play a championship games. They want two automatic bids, one for each side. So it would basically be two separate 8 team conferences who share the name pac 10. I think its pretty foolish.

Having four mega conferences doesnt do anything UNLESS each conference plays a championship game and then the four winners have a playoff.

I wonder what happens to the teams that are left behind? Could Utah, Boise State, TCU, BYU, Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri, Iowa State and some other teams start their own conference?

Mountain West is at 9 teams right now and has a TV station, albeit no where near the model of the Big Tens. I think they add Boise State which gives them a good core of football teams and maybe contend for an auto BCS bid. (Boise, TCU, BYU, Utah, Air Force). If Pac 10 expands, MWC/MAC/C-USA takes remains...

Ultimately, this is what I see happening to college football..

PAC 16

USC

UCLA

Washington

Washington State

Oregon

Oregon State

Stanford

California

Arizona

Arizona State

+Colorado

+Texas

+Texas AM

+Texas Tech

+Oklahoma

+Oklahoma State

MWC 12

TCU

Utah

BYU

Air Force

Wyoming

UNLV

SDSU

New Mexico

Colorado State

+Boise State

+Iowa State

+Baylor

+Kansas

+Kansas State

B16 Ten

Iowa

Wisconsin

Minnesota

Illinois

Northwestern

Ohio State

Penn State

Michigan

Michigan State

Purdue

Indiana

+Rutgers

+Syracuse

+Nebraska

+Notre Dame

+Missouri

SEC 16

Florida

Tennessee

Georgia

South Carolina

Kentucky

Vanderbilt

Alabama

LSU

Mississippi

Arkansas

Auburn

Mississippi

+Miami

+Florida State

+Virginia Tech

+Clemson

ACC/Big East

Cinci

W. Virginia

Pittsburgh

UCONN

Louisville

South Florida

Boston College

Wake Forest

NC State

Maryland

GA Tech

UNC

Duke

Virginia

I could see Iowa State in the MAC as well and Baylor to C-USA and the MWC going to 12 as well. Kansas and KSU to CUSA? Will be interesting

I wonder what happens to the teams that are left behind? Could Utah, Boise State, TCU, BYU, Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri, Iowa State and some other teams start their own conference?

Mountain West is at 9 teams right now and has a TV station, albeit no where near the model of the Big Tens. I think they add Boise State which gives them a good core of football teams and maybe contend for an auto BCS bid. (Boise, TCU, BYU, Utah, Air Force). If Pac 10 expands, MWC/MAC/C-USA takes remains...

Ultimately, this is what I see happening to college football..

PAC 16

USC

UCLA

Washington

Washington State

Oregon

Oregon State

Stanford

California

Arizona

Arizona State

+Colorado

+Texas

+Texas AM

+Texas Tech

+Oklahoma

+Oklahoma State

MWC 12

TCU

Utah

BYU

Air Force

Wyoming

UNLV

SDSU

New Mexico

Colorado State

+Boise State

+Iowa State

+Baylor

+Kansas

+Kansas State

B16 Ten

Iowa

Wisconsin

Minnesota

Illinois

Northwestern

Ohio State

Penn State

Michigan

Michigan State

Purdue

Indiana

+Rutgers

+Syracuse

+Nebraska

+Notre Dame

+Missouri

SEC 16

Florida

Tennessee

Georgia

South Carolina

Kentucky

Vanderbilt

Alabama

LSU

Mississippi

Arkansas

Auburn

Mississippi

+Miami

+Florida State

+Virginia Tech

+Clemson

ACC/Big East

Cinci

W. Virginia

Pittsburgh

UCONN

Louisville

South Florida

Boston College

Wake Forest

NC State

Maryland

GA Tech

UNC

Duke

Virginia

I could see Iowa State in the MAC as well and Baylor to C-USA and the MWC going to 12 as well. Kansas and KSU to CUSA? Will be interesting

I dont understand the point of having super conferences? There arent enough games in the season for everyone to play eachother. Its really just two conferences in one. One side will just play itself and then maybe have a championship game.

If they do go that route, then I'm sure we may see some sort of playoff. Have championship games and then a playoff of the winners of each conference.

As for the SEC thing, I read that SEC does not have interest in FSU or Miami. They aren't looking to expand but if they did, they would want Missouri and Virignia Tech according to the article.

Its very arrogant on the partof the Big 12 to break up the whole conference just because 1 team is leaving. The evidence just doesn't support Nebraska being as important as the conference thinks it is. Are they going bankrupt because Nebraska hasn't been a NC contender in 10 years or whatever its been? No. So they would get buy just fine without them. The Big East is fine without UM, VT and BC. It lost 3 teams and survived. So what's the difference?

Why are you guys bringing the ACC and SEC into this conversation when nobody else has?

Guest Guest

I am hoping that if Kansas and Kansas State cant find a conference, they will go indy in football and do the MVC a solid and join for other sports.

As for the SEC thing, I read that SEC does not have interest in FSU or Miami. They aren't looking to expand but if they did, they would want Missouri and Virignia Tech according to the article.

Please take VT. It would even out the divisions. FSU's division is much weaker than UM's with both techs being in UM's division.

Please take VT. It would even out the divisions. FSU's division is much weaker than UM's with both techs being in UM's division.

I dont think that will happen though. SEC hasn't any talks about expansion.

I predict the Big 10 stops with the additional of Nebraska and stays at 12 teams.

I suppose it is possible that the Pac 10 could stay at 11 or 12 teams. We'll know more in the next day or two.

i bring it up 84 because its inevitable. newest rumor is texas a&m and oklahoma to the sec. also grumblings of texas becoming independant. also rumors of texas and texas a&m to the big ten. also rumors of iowa state, kansas state, kansas, missouri and baylor to the big east to form a western division with louisville and cinci. all interesting stuff. the whole texas situation is crazy. and to answer the question of why the big 12 is splitting... the big 12 was a deck of cards and texas knows it.. the fact tech and a&m are tag alongs with texas, makes their move to pac 10 most likely imo.

i bring it up 84 because its inevitable. newest rumor is texas a&m and oklahoma to the sec. also grumblings of texas becoming independant. also rumors of texas and texas a&m to the big ten. also rumors of iowa state, kansas state, kansas, missouri and baylor to the big east to form a western division with louisville and cinci. all interesting stuff. the whole texas situation is crazy. and to answer the question of why the big 12 is splitting... the big 12 was a deck of cards and texas knows it.. the fact tech and a&m are tag alongs with texas, makes their move to pac 10 most likely imo.

All divisions should have 12 teams and have a championship game. That is the only fair way.

Hopefully Oklahoma an Texas stay together.

Its very arrogant on the partof the Big 12 to break up the whole conference just because 1 team is leaving. The evidence just doesn't support Nebraska being as important as the conference thinks it is. Are they going bankrupt because Nebraska hasn't been a NC contender in 10 years or whatever its been? No. So they would get buy just fine without them. The Big East is fine without UM, VT and BC. It lost 3 teams and survived. So what's the difference?

Why are you guys bringing the ACC and SEC into this conversation when nobody else has?

Nebraska is as big as Texas when it comes to the fandom. They sell out EVERYWHERE they go because their fans travel well and fans of the home team want to see them go down in flames. Husker Nation is a fanaticism you cannot begin to imagine (Because in most other states, you have a choice in what team to be a fan of. Here, indoctrination is simply a way of life). It's a big deal to have them in your conference. I hate Nebraska. I went to Iowa State just to get away from this nonsense for a few years, and I pretty much was the one happy person in the state of Nebraska when Iowa State upset them last year. But to underestimate just how much they mean to a conference as far as money and fandom means you don't understand them. The spring scrimmage game is a genuine EVENT that completely sells out the stadium. Even in the Callahan era, it was a party to beat these guys. Whatever fanaticism you guys have about "The U," double it and maybe you'll get a glimpse of how big Nebraska is.

But to give an idea just how much money will be lost in this endeavor should the Big 12 fall, Big 12 teams get $9 million from TV deals and the like whereas the Mountain West only pays out $3.2 million. The Big Ten hands out $25 million thanks to their network. There are rumored negotiations for the Big 12 with Fox that's upwards of $17 million...... but in these matters, everyone's heard rumors saying 10 different things (Sometimes at once). I can hope Iowa State lands well. Even if they wind up in a mid-major and have short-term problems of lost income and recruiting, it can be a help to an athletic department that's building tradition after sadly being a cesspool for 30 years. It's not much now I'll admit, but even in the worst of times, we're still beating the Hawkeyes around every other year these days, so we're not doing too badly even during Chizik's two years. Anyway, Big 10, if anything else, at least enjoy the extra two wins your basketball teams will get from Nebraska every year.

Thanks for the info. So Nebraska fans are good and proper fans instead of bandwagon jumpers.

Apparently the Big 12 is gonna survive because Texas has decided not to leave: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5286672

I'm thrilled the Big 12 is staying around. I was not looking forward to a Pac 16 or any super conference for that matter.

So now the ACC, SEC, and Big 10 will have conference games.

I wonder if the PAC 10 and BIG 12 will be looking to expand to 12 teams each so that they can also have conference games?

Texas got what they wanted... even more control over the Big XII and an easier path to the NC. I still think the conference is as stable as a crack whore.. and I can't see it lasting very long.

Iowa State is and always will be a joke. Possibly the worst program in college football history. They are getting Texas' scraps and they couldn't be happier. Personally, i think they would have flourished and actually won a conference title in a smaller conference like the MAC or C-USA. Still can't believe they fired McCarney..

I think Pac 10 will offer Utah and the Texas 10 stays pat.

Colorado and Neb had to pay 20 mil in penalties for leaving hte Big 12.... guess who got ALL that money? Thats right.. texas, AM and OU.. and all the other schools agreed to it. lol

Well Kansas, Missouri, Kansas State, Iowa State and Baylor didnt have a leg to stand on. They were basically going to be homeless.

BTW who the hell is Texas A&M? They were saying they wanted to be part of a SEC last week. They are a nobody! They haven't done anything in 30 years. I can see why OU and Texas would get most of the money, I cant believe A&M got in on it.

So now what does the PAC 10 do? They have said they do not want a conference game. Are they going to do a rotation like the Big 10 used to do?

A&M has the governor in their pocket... all the third parties involved in this is disgusting.

The rumor mill going around right now is Utah gave notice to the MWC to join the Pac 10.. certainly would make Boise's jump seem premature.

http://utah.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1094386

So if Utah goes to the PAC 12, then they will certainly have a conference championship game. I'm ok with that. So now 4 automatic bids will be determined through championship games.

However, Utah leaving hurts the MAC. Either way, at least Boise State wont be able to sleep past its conference opponents because BYU and TCU are good teams.

Iowa State is and always will be a joke. Possibly the worst program in college football history. They are getting Texas' scraps and they couldn't be happier. Personally, i think they would have flourished and actually won a conference title in a smaller conference like the MAC or C-USA. Still can't believe they fired McCarney..

Still beats Iowa almost every other year, so what's that say about Iowa?

I'm not really sure what I think of this all, then I realized that I stopped caring about college football a long time ago because it has the most ridiculous, scandalous system I've ever seen. Teams get cheated out of championship opportunities every year, so i find it better not to get involved when chances are the system can cheat your team out of what it deserves.

It's a shame, because I really love football and I'd like to have Saturdays be half as interesting as Sundays.

I'm not really sure what I think of this all, then I realized that I stopped caring about college football a long time ago because it has the most ridiculous, scandalous system I've ever seen. Teams get cheated out of championship opportunities every year, so i find it better not to get involved when chances are the system can cheat your team out of what it deserves.

It's a shame, because I really love football and I'd like to have Saturdays be half as interesting as Sundays.

Sorry I dont agree with you. Saturdays are more exciting than NFL Sundays because there isnt a playoff system

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.