Closing the roof on hot nights?!

heat84

Wusses! And isn't the heat and humidity supposed to be part of the home field advantage? Or does that just work for football? I thought the roof was just to deal with the rain. Closing it for hot day games is fine too. I'll admit the nights lately have been unusually steam roomish, but when they're normally around 80 without the Sun beating down, there's no need for the roof. I heard Rich or Tommy say the roof would be used 75-80% of the time. I hope that's not true.

Guest Guest

I don't live down there but I've been to a bunch of games. There has never been a summer night when it wasn't raining that I felt it was necessary to be sitting in an air conditioned stadium.

Day games it makes sense, but I think night games are pretty tolerable. One of my concerns with a retractable roof stadium was always that they would only open it in the morning/early afternoon just to keep the grass alive and close it up for game time.

Did you really have to start out your paragraph with profanity?

Its not profanity its slang. Well, in that context it may be profane I don't know. But if you can think of a kinder word thats equivalent to what that word conveys, I'd be happy to use it. I thought of wuss's, but I don't know if that's the same. I admit, I was surprised that it wasn't censored.

As for the topic, if having the A/C on most of the time increases attendance, then by all means cater to the wuss's.

You are one of like 4 people that think games in this miami weather are ok. It rains so many afternoons/evenings in the summer, and the humidity at night is insane. Thats what makes it so uncomfortable to watch games here. The day games are just painful. The only comfortable games are the rare ones we get right after a coldfront comes through. I don't think most people go to baseball games in order to tough something out lol. I go to be entertained, and its hard to enjoy a game when I have juan carlos and pepe sitting to either side of my sweating all over my face. And by the time I get to my car I need to wring out my clothes or risk flooding my car.

It's really going to be interesting/funny to hear what the new and improved excuses for not going to games will be once the new place opens up.

You are one of like 4 people that think games in this miami weather are ok. It rains so many afternoons/evenings in the summer, and the humidity at night is insane. Thats what makes it so uncomfortable to watch games here. The day games are just painful. The only comfortable games are the rare ones we get right after a coldfront comes through. I don't think most people go to baseball games in order to tough something out lol. I go to be entertained, and its hard to enjoy a game when I have juan carlos and pepe sitting to either side of my sweating all over my face. And by the time I get to my car I need to wring out my clothes or risk flooding my car.

It's really going to be interesting/funny to hear what the new and improved excuses for not going to games will be once the new place opens up.

Where were you last night?

I was at the game and man, it SUCKED. Usually it's tolerable but there are some nights like last night when there is no breeze, the air is stagnant, and it's 85 degrees and humid at night.

I was at the game and man, it SUCKED. Usually it's tolerable but there are some nights like last night when there is no breeze, the air is stagnant, and it's 85 degrees and humid at night.

Agreed, I like a balmy evening with the breeze blowing. If I understand, the big windows can open and the breeze blowing off the bay can come through. If there is no breeze, hot and westerly winds, then close it, otherwise, the evening easterlies are what was originally called air conditioning. Either way, it is not an issue.

I know Bob, in a really silly fashion in my opinion, likes to make it seem like noone actually doesn't go to games because of the rain and the heat, but that's the reason I went to a total of three games from 1993 to 2005. My mom took me to a game in early 1993, it was hot, then it rain into a delay, then we had to leave early because of how late it was getting (there's actually a worse ending to this story) and my mom never took me again. (Well, not til I dragged her to another game in 2007... predictably it rained and we used a JJ height chart as a little tarp.)

Bob, that's just too much for families to deal with some times. Guys like me and you will go through it but you need to think about the casual fan. Noone wants to deal with that sh*t and it happens too often. It's not a particularly cheap thing to do and it can turn into a terrible experience.

And not even I will go to one of those day games. F' that noise. Every time I have gone (like 5 times) I've seen EMTs have to come to the rescue of an elderly person.

Been a strange year for me. When they are on the road, I get home at a decent time. When they are home, I get home late. The way the economy is, ya take every job ya can get. But at least my tix are paid for and they count towards attendance.

Should be there tonight. Saturday for sure, it's one of those rare days where we schedule entertainment first and work second. Probably Sunday too. NEVER make Friday games.

I know Bob, in a really silly fashion in my opinion, likes to make it seem like noone actually doesn't go to games because of the rain and the heat, but that's the reason I went to a total of three games from 1993 to 2005. My mom took me to a game in early 1993, it was hot, then it rain into a delay, then we had to leave early because of how late it was getting (there's actually a worse ending to this story) and my mom never took me again. (Well, not til I dragged her to another game in 2007... predictably it rained and we used a JJ height chart as a little tarp.)

Bob, that's just too much for families to deal with some times. Guys like me and you will go through it but you need to think about the casual fan. Noone wants to deal with that sh*t and it happens too often. It's not a particularly cheap thing to do and it can turn into a terrible experience.

And not even I will go to one of those day games. F' that noise. Every time I have gone (like 5 times) I've seen EMTs have to come to the rescue of an elderly person.

The rain and heat are only 2 of the excuses. And they don't explain away April and most of May. It's the 1000's of the other excuses that get to me. And how long it takes to get there is totally lost on me. Don't even go there.

The heat and humidity I can understand for families and the elderly. But they have heat and humidity in other places too. Dosen't seem to bother their attendance that much. We may laugh at them saying their's dosen't come close to matching ours. But to them it's just as hot and humid. It's what each area is used to. Like them laughing at us for wearing coats when the temps hit the 60's here and they are at our beaches enjoying the balmy weather. Get it? Normally, after about the middle of May, we trade out tix in and move to the Club Level A section. Sit in the top row and open those windows to let the a/c out.

But I do have to wonder what those people (go with you on this and say just the "younger" baseball fans) do during the summer months. This is South Florida. It's hot and humid. Do they sit at home all summer and only go out to get in their car and to their jobs or school?

Rain is another thing. We get our thunderstorms in the afternoons, before game time. Last year being one of the few exceptions, Most of the previous years I would still bet our weather related delays were middle of the road for open air stadiums in MLB. Nobody has ever looked that up to prove me wrong. Or if they have they never posted the results for whatever reason. Get the media guide and check ours out from '93 on. It really isn't that bad.

I don't really count the weather, terrible stadium experience, and crap location as excuses. Buying tickets to a ballgame is the SAME as going out to eat imo (or purchasing a product). Go to dinner, and have your reservation delayed for an hour. Or canceled completely. Who knows?? Then finally get to eat, but the air conditioning doesn't work so you sit there enjoying your food, cause its good, but sweating your balls off. When you go to leave you aren't in the best area and you have to drive far to get home. This is made worse if your reservation was delayed because its now midnight. The food might have been great, but are you honestly going to go back next weekend? No way. You will go once a year because the food was great and you love it, but the experience is so terrible. The ONLY reason I go to games is because I like the marlins so much. They put together a good product, but the experience is terrible. I can watch the game on my HDTV with a $1 beer and some aroz con pollo and not feel like I'm missing out. But with all the assurances, options and comforts the new stadium will provide I will feel like I'm missing out on a great experience and, for me, that is the difference.

IMO, that's a really bad comparison. But we will run with that.

Supposing you went back to that restaurant and they had the a/c fixed but they had raised the prices by 322% and you are still in a questionable neighborhood. But they do tell you that just bcause they are there the neighborhood will get better. Me? I can sit in the comfort of my own home and have steak and potatos.

The rain and heat are only 2 of the excuses. And they don't explain away April and most of May. It's the 1000's of the other excuses that get to me. And how long it takes to get there is totally lost on me. Don't even go there.

The heat and humidity I can understand for families and the elderly. But they have heat and humidity in other places too. Dosen't seem to bother their attendance that much. We may laugh at them saying their's dosen't come close to matching ours. But to them it's just as hot and humid. It's what each area is used to. Like them laughing at us for wearing coats when the temps hit the 60's here and they are at our beaches enjoying the balmy weather. Get it? Normally, after about the middle of May, we trade out tix in and move to the Club Level A section. Sit in the top row and open those windows to let the a/c out.

But I do have to wonder what those people (go with you on this and say just the "younger" baseball fans) do during the summer months. This is South Florida. It's hot and humid. Do they sit at home all summer and only go out to get in their car and to their jobs or school?

Rain is another thing. We get our thunderstorms in the afternoons, before game time. Last year being one of the few exceptions, Most of the previous years I would still bet our weather related delays were middle of the road for open air stadiums in MLB. Nobody has ever looked that up to prove me wrong. Or if they have they never posted the results for whatever reason. Get the media guide and check ours out from '93 on. It really isn't that bad.

You've never looked it up to prove yourself right either.

I tried looking it up once, I have no idea how to find that.

Except you aren't going back to the restaurant. You are going to their new location with upgraded everything. Everything tastes better because the atmosphere is better. You might be paying more, but I would rather pay more for a great experience than pay AT ALL for a terrible one.

LOL Yea. Okay. Whatever you say.

I don't either. Other than looking in the media guide. But it seems to me we play more double headers away than at home. And when we only have 161 games in a season it's an away game that we lose out on. And constantly see other teams having double headers or their games have long postponements.

But my guess would be people don't want to find that info. Would really put a damper on that excuse. No pun intended.

IT really has nothing to do with the amount of rain delays. Its the threat of rain every day as you are headed to the stadium and the threat of rain during the game. Thats what scares people away. Hell, i go to 15 games in a good year and a solid 10 of those my dad, most of the time kidding around, says that t better not rain because there is always huge rain clluds up where i lve in northern broward and we dont want to go to a game where they suck and its rainy.

I don't either. Other than looking in the media guide. But it seems to me we play more double headers away than at home. And when we only have 161 games in a season it's an away game that we lose out on. And constantly see other teams having double headers or their games have long postponements.

But my guess would be people don't want to find that info. Would really put a damper on that excuse. No pun intended.

Double headers don't mean we have less rain delays. Hell, it's almost the opposite. You yourself said that it rains in the afternoons here, so why would we schedule double headers? Most of the time we just have long rain delays because we don't know if we can even a game the next day, much less two.

Just because the roof is open does it mean the AC will be off in the field area

I suppose, but that wouldn't be energy efficient. Do the other retractable roof staduims do that?

Yes. In Arizona (at least at the game I was at), they closed the roof a few hours before the game letting the building cool down, then before the first pitch, they open the roof and the AC remains on. It's over 100 degrees outside, but a very comfortable 75 inside during the game. It was awesome. Not sure how well that would work down here though. You don't want to have to open and close the roof during the game and with our rain, you'd likely have to do that. I know I've been at many games here where it's perfectly dry at 7pm and then it's pouring at 8:30. In Arizona you know that once you open it, it's not going to rain later in the game. Not sure what they do at Miller Park. The one game I saw there it rained so the roof was closed the whole time. But regardless, having the retractable roof was great. You drive to the stadium and even if it's thundering and lightning, you know the game will be played on time and you are going to sit and watch it comfortably. It's going to change the whole baseball experience here in Miami.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.