Closing the roof on hot nights?!

I know Bob, in a really silly fashion in my opinion, likes to make it seem like noone actually doesn't go to games because of the rain and the heat, but that's the reason I went to a total of three games from 1993 to 2005. My mom took me to a game in early 1993, it was hot, then it rain into a delay, then we had to leave early because of how late it was getting (there's actually a worse ending to this story) and my mom never took me again. (Well, not til I dragged her to another game in 2007... predictably it rained and we used a JJ height chart as a little tarp.)

Bob, that's just too much for families to deal with some times. Guys like me and you will go through it but you need to think about the casual fan. Noone wants to deal with that sh*t and it happens too often. It's not a particularly cheap thing to do and it can turn into a terrible experience.

And not even I will go to one of those day games. F' that noise. Every time I have gone (like 5 times) I've seen EMTs have to come to the rescue of an elderly person.

The rain and heat are only 2 of the excuses. And they don't explain away April and most of May. It's the 1000's of the other excuses that get to me. And how long it takes to get there is totally lost on me. Don't even go there.

The heat and humidity I can understand for families and the elderly. But they have heat and humidity in other places too. Dosen't seem to bother their attendance that much. We may laugh at them saying their's dosen't come close to matching ours. But to them it's just as hot and humid. It's what each area is used to. Like them laughing at us for wearing coats when the temps hit the 60's here and they are at our beaches enjoying the balmy weather. Get it? Normally, after about the middle of May, we trade out tix in and move to the Club Level A section. Sit in the top row and open those windows to let the a/c out.

But I do have to wonder what those people (go with you on this and say just the "younger" baseball fans) do during the summer months. This is South Florida. It's hot and humid. Do they sit at home all summer and only go out to get in their car and to their jobs or school?

Rain is another thing. We get our thunderstorms in the afternoons, before game time. Last year being one of the few exceptions, Most of the previous years I would still bet our weather related delays were middle of the road for open air stadiums in MLB. Nobody has ever looked that up to prove me wrong. Or if they have they never posted the results for whatever reason. Get the media guide and check ours out from '93 on. It really isn't that bad.

You've never looked it up to prove yourself right either.

I tried looking it up once, I have no idea how to find that.

I don't either. Other than looking in the media guide. But it seems to me we play more double headers away than at home. And when we only have 161 games in a season it's an away game that we lose out on. And constantly see other teams having double headers or their games have long postponements.

But my guess would be people don't want to find that info. Would really put a damper on that excuse. No pun intended.

Double headers don't mean we have less rain delays. Hell, it's almost the opposite. You yourself said that it rains in the afternoons here, so why would we schedule double headers? Most of the time we just have long rain delays because we don't know if we can even a game the next day, much less two.

So summers aren't rainy anywhere else? The fact we do have double headers nullifies that statement. If a team isn't coming back to town, and you can't get the night game in, you schedule a DH. Or you get the game in after the regular season ends if neccesary. How many times has a team might have had to come back here for a make up game?

No idea about other teams but I'm sure I read something like 1/3 of our home games last year were affected by rain

I looked it up. That "1/3" number is pretty high. We had 22 rain delays last year, for a total of 24 hours and 45 minutes. A record for us. The most before that was 16 in '05 (no surprise there) and '99. Unles of course they were including games that we played through drizzles. Just like every team.

Got those numbers from this year's media guide. Which, BTW, is the first media guide I have had to buy in quite some time. And I have all but 2 of them.

How often is the roof open in Arizona? It seems like every Arizona home game I watch on TV has the roof closed.

Very elementary, grade school science. Heat rises. This means once the place is cooled, the cold air will be held down for quite some time by the hot air outside.

That's what I was thinking. But how does humidity factor in to that? There's no humidity in Arizona. I thought deserts were naturally cool at night anyway.

No idea about other teams but I'm sure I read something like 1/3 of our home games last year were affected by rain

I looked it up. That "1/3" number is pretty high. We had 22 rain delays last year, for a total of 24 hours and 45 minutes. A record for us. The most before that was 16 in '05 (no surprise there) and '99. Unles of course they were including games that we played through drizzles. Just like every team.

Got those numbers from this year's media guide. Which, BTW, is the first media guide I have had to buy in quite some time. And I have all but 2 of them.

Not that far off. A third being 27 games and as you quoted we had 22 rain delays

How often is the roof open in Arizona? It seems like every Arizona home game I watch on TV has the roof closed.

Very elementary, grade school science. Heat rises. This means once the place is cooled, the cold air will be held down for quite some time by the hot air outside.

That's nice and all, but what does that have to do with what I asked?

You have a terrible habit of not comprehending things before you type.

Not that far off. A third being 27 games and as you quoted we had 22 rain delays

So you have an almost 1 in 3 chance for the game your are going to to experience rain. Way too many. Thank god for the new stadium.

Does the media guide count the number of games where it rained steadily for an inning or two but the tarp was never put on the field? I highly doubt it.

So summers aren't rainy anywhere else? The fact we do have double headers nullifies that statement. If a team isn't coming back to town, and you can't get the night game in, you schedule a DH. Or you get the game in after the regular season ends if neccesary. How many times has a team might have had to come back here for a make up game?

The 10 rainiest cities in the U.S.:

* Mobile, Alabama--67 inches average annual rainfall; 59 average annual rainy days

* Pensacola, Florida--65 inches average annual rainfall; 56 average annual rainy days

* New Orleans, Louisiana--64 inches average annual rainfall; 59 average annual rainy days

* West Palm Beach, Florida--63 inches average annual rainfall; 58 average annual rainy days

* Lafayette, Louisiana--62 inches average annual rainfall; 55 average annual rainy days

* Baton Rouge, Louisiana--62 inches average annual rainfall; 56 average annual rainy days

* Miami, Florida--62 inches average annual rainfall; 57 average annual rainy days

* Port Arthur, Texas--61 inches average annual rainfall; 51 average annual rainy days

* Tallahassee, Florida--61 inches average annual rainfall; 56 average annual rainy days

* Lake Charles, Louisiana--58 inches average annual rainfall; 50 average annual rainy days

And keep in mind that there's very little rain here from November to April. About 70% of the rain Miami gets comes from around May 21st to October 17th. This isn't an average city with average "rainy summers".

And I don't see how DH's nullify anything.

So you have an almost 1 in 3 chance for the game your are going to to experience rain. Way too many. Thank god for the new stadium.

Does the media guide count the number of games where it rained steadily for an inning or two but the tarp was never put on the field? I highly doubt it.

No it dosen't. It's why it's under the heading of delayed games. Doubt it shows those stats for other teams either. Unless you think as soon as it starts to drizzle they all call a hault.

The 10 rainiest cities in the U.S.:

* Mobile, Alabama--67 inches average annual rainfall; 59 average annual rainy days

* Pensacola, Florida--65 inches average annual rainfall; 56 average annual rainy days

* New Orleans, Louisiana--64 inches average annual rainfall; 59 average annual rainy days

* West Palm Beach, Florida--63 inches average annual rainfall; 58 average annual rainy days

* Lafayette, Louisiana--62 inches average annual rainfall; 55 average annual rainy days

* Baton Rouge, Louisiana--62 inches average annual rainfall; 56 average annual rainy days

* Miami, Florida--62 inches average annual rainfall; 57 average annual rainy days

* Port Arthur, Texas--61 inches average annual rainfall; 51 average annual rainy days

* Tallahassee, Florida--61 inches average annual rainfall; 56 average annual rainy days

* Lake Charles, Louisiana--58 inches average annual rainfall; 50 average annual rainy days

And keep in mind that there's very little rain here from November to April. About 70% of the rain Miami gets comes from around May 21st to October 17th. This isn't an average city with average "rainy summers".

And I don't see how DH's nullify anything.

This dosen't settle anything. We get most of our rains in the afternoon while the games are played at night.

Does everything need to spelled out in black and white for you?

You have a terrible habit of not being able to comprehend what you have just read and then bashing others for your lack of common sense.

You have a terrible habit of not being able to comprehend what you have just read and then bashing others for your lack of common sense.

how about you stfu, you clearly didnt answer his question and you are a complete douschebag with every post.

:lol

Is this a joke? I don't know what else to say to this.

Since I'm just a simpleton, non-season ticket holder, please explain to me how your response had anything to do with the question I asked.

No it dosen't. It's why it's under the heading of delayed games. Doubt it shows those stats for other teams either. Unless you think as soon as it starts to drizzle they all call a hault.

I knew it wasn't in there. Umpires in Miami seem more committed to playing through some showers than they are in other cities where a tarp might have been put on the field. This is probably because they know it's Miami and don't want to be putting a tarp on the field every minute. These showers are ocassionally more than a drizzle and clear out the lower bowl, despite the game proceeding without delay. This contributes to a negative stadium experience and I would wager that this happens more in Miami than it does in other US cities.

He asked about the amount of time the roof in Arizona is open. Not about the method in which heat rises...

Just mentioning it because I was wondering about the answer to his question too.

He asked about the amount of time the roof in Arizona is open. Not about the method in which heat rises...

Just mentioning it because I was wondering about the answer to his question too.

According to reviews of the park, it's almost always closed, even at night. Looks like about 85 degrees is their cut off for an open roof.

According to reviews of the park, it's almost always closed, even at night. Looks like about 85 degrees is their cut off for an open roof.

What's the point of it being retractable then? I guess they chose retractable instead of solid just to be hip.

What's the point of it being retractable then? I guess they chose retractable instead of solid just to be hip.

Hopefully there will be many nice evenings where breezes and humidity will be welcome-really, not being sarcastic. Also, I do not think that there is an effective way to grow grass without open air and sunlight, and no one wants the artificial stuff, regardless of the improvements over the years.

Early and late months, October baseball especially. Plus, you get to use real grass.

Maybe you could use UV bulbs in lieu of the Sun?

Well, photosynthetically active radiation (what you need to grow healthy grass), is in the visible spectrum, not UV.

I think Arizona does use some form of grow light because their park is poorly designed. I'm guessing they are some type of HID (High Intensity Dischage) lamp, but I have no idea. Even when there isn't a game playing in the afternoon and the roof is open to feed the grass, some corners of the field receive poor sunlight exposure because of certain structures being in the way. I don't know to what extent this will be a problem in the new ballpark for the Marlins. And I doubt that growth lights could be used in a primary role.

The old Astrodome tried growing grass with the assitance of massive glass panels in the roof. These started causing glare, so they had to be filled in, which caused the grass to die (thus needing to be replaced with Astroturf).

In the end, I think a retractable roof would be the least hassle if you want to grow natural grass.

Well, photosynthetically active radiation (what you need to grow healthy grass), is in the visible spectrum, not UV.

Ok, pretend its a giant indoor pot farm. However they work, can you do that for stadium grass? The electric bill would be absolutely ridiculous though.:lol

Ok, pretend its a giant indoor pot farm. However they work, can you do that for stadium grass? The electric bill would be absolutely ridiculous though.:lol

Unfortunately, I'd imagine most pot farms will still make more money than the Marlins, even with a new stadium.