7/27 - Marlins @ Giants

Although Josh Johnson has never beaten the San Francisco Giants, he's never faced them when he's been pitching this well.

Baseball's ERA leader looks to earn his first victory over the Giants when the Florida Marlins continue a four-game series Tuesday night at AT&T Park.

Johnson (10-3, 1.61 ERA) has not allowed more than two runs in his last 13 starts, going 7-2 with a 0.79 ERA. The last pitcher to put together such a streak for 14 outings in a row was Houston's Mike Scott in 1986.

In addition, Johnson has allowed one run over his last 28 innings on the road.

The right-hander is 0-3 with a 3.00 ERA in four career starts against the Giants (56-44), although the Marlins (50-49) supported him with a total of five runs in those outings. Edgar Renteria (4 for 17) and Pat Burrell (2 for 15) are the Giants with the most experience against him.

Johnson struck out 11 and gave up one run in 6 1/3 innings last Thursday, not getting a decision in a 3-2 victory over Colorado.

He will get his first look at promising Giants rookie Buster Posey, who is batting .461 during a 19-game hitting streak. Posey -- whose 39 hits this month lead the majors -- is three games shy of matching Hall of Famer Willie McCovey's San Francisco rookie record set in 1959.

The Giants, though, had a four-game win streak snapped with a 4-3 loss Monday. San Francisco fell 3 1/2 games behind first-place San Diego in the NL West.

Florida moved over .500 for the first time since it was 28-27 on June 3. Dan Uggla and Mike Stanton each hit solo homers in the Marlins' eighth win in 10 games.

"Finally we're above .500. That's good news," manager Edwin Rodriguez said. "We all knew that we were trying to get there. Whatever we're trying to accomplish here, we all knew that we had to go over .500."

The Marlins improved to 18-11 against left-handed starters -- second-best in the NL. They face two more southpaws in this series but will face right-hander Matt Cain (8-8, 3.10) on Tuesday.

Cain matched a season high with nine strikeouts and yielded three hits over eight innings Thursday in a 3-0 win at Arizona.

"Found a good rhythm and was able to throw all four pitches for strikes," Cain said. "I was working both sides of the plate with my heater and those are the kind of days you want to take advantage of."

Cain has generally been in a good rhythm against Florida, going 3-0 with a 2.83 ERA in six starts. He gave up two runs in seven innings May 6 to earn a 6-3 road victory, and he's limited Marlins sluggers Uggla and Jorge Cantu to two hits in 12 at-bats.

Florida received bad news Monday about left fielder Chris Coghlan, who is headed for the disabled list with a torn meniscus in his left knee, could need surgery and may be sidelined six to eight weeks. He was hurt while delivering a pie to the face of teammate Wes Helms following the pinch-hitter's bases-loaded single in the 11th inning Sunday of a 5-4 win over Atlanta.

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/preview?gameId=300727126&teams=florida-marlins-vs-san-francisco-giants

I like the lineup, I think its the best we can come up with while Cogs is out. Funny how accuscore has this as a 50/50 game. With JJ going I would've thought we'd be favorites even against Cain.

I think I like the lineup too. Although I'd rather have Hanley playing better and just batting 3rd. Also on the subject of H2R... I hope he's just taking this in stride and not turning it into drama.

I'm looking forward to this game. Looking forward to finally seeing Logan! Hanley leading off isn't that bad of a thing. I hope for two things tonight: 1) A good game like last night (well at least a win like last night) and 2) This site doesn't crap out again like last night! I couldn't even get back on here after the 8th inning.

I'm looking forward to this game. Looking forward to finally seeing Logan! Hanley leading off isn't that bad of a thing. I hope for two things tonight: 1) A good game like last night (well at least a win like last night) and 2) This site doesn't crap out again like last night! I couldn't even get back on here after the 8th inning.

3) JJ lasts at least 8 innings so we don't have use much of the heart attack bullpen.

Logan Morrison wearing number 20 for #Marlins

#Marlins bench 3B Jorge Cantu because of poor defense.

I feel bad for Cantu but this is a good idea. I was just thinking that last night. They need to bench him and put Wes in because he's actually getting some hits.

3) JJ lasts at least 8 innings so we don't have use much of the heart attack bullpen.

How about just a complete game? :)