The front office has absolutely failed this team

Last year was on the SP, this year on the RP.

Also, worth mentioning that it's a strange thread to have when the pen gave up 3 runs in 8 innings.

Yes, but the way that last Giants inning was going, they could have scored 5 that inning. Our luck had simply run out as Hensley wasn't effective that second inning and there wasn't anyone else we could bring that could have done the job. If we had another quality reliever, maybe we wouldn't have been playing with our backs against the wall.

Well the title of this thread is "The front office has absolutely failed this team"

That's false. They've done the best job they possibly could for years with the restrictions put on them since 2006 that no other team has had to deal with.

Best job? I disagree. They haven't done enough to stockpile pitching. Their draft picks haven't done much of anything so far.

Also, worth mentioning that it's a strange thread to have when the pen gave up 3 runs in 8 innings.

Yes, but the way that last Giants inning was going, they could have scored 5 that inning. Our luck had simply run out as Hensley wasn't effective that second inning and there wasn't anyone else we could bring that could have done the job. If we had another quality reliever, maybe we wouldn't have been playing with our backs against the wall.

Maybe the Padres can keep running quality arms out there after 8 innings in the middle of July, but that's about it.

i just think we cant keep relying on rejuvination projects. its ok to have a couple of those but its an absolute must to have a proven lefty loogy and a veteran setup guy. also, its been 5 years, its time to break up this core, although its not exactly the same since 06. but cody and cantu have to go. we need more leftys and moer consistent hitters. im now really annoyed by the coghlan situation because i would have loved our lineup with him leading off.

Yeah, screw us trading a declining Pierre for a package that got us Nolasco, getting Johnson in the 4th round, trading a terrible Kevin Gregg for Jose Ceda, and trading Mike Jacobs for our current closer Leo Nunez. Those are unimportant.

The way that inning went he got an inning ending double play that ate the 3B up. Plus, with the outfield in regular depth, he would have gotten a 2nd out there. In all likelihood that's all there would have been, 3 runs.

I like that.

"Here are his bad trades. He has made some good trades, but those are unimportant. Again, look at his bad trades."

Well, my point was that in the last couple years, Beinfest hasn't even pulled out one of the good trades. Point being that if he had gotten anything worthwhile when he traded valuable or once highly valuable players, that is actually an alternative to the throw crap against the wall and hope you get lucky approach.

The way that inning went he got an inning ending double play that ate the 3B up. Plus, with the outfield in regular depth, he would have gotten a 2nd out there. In all likelihood that's all there would have been, 3 runs.

Basically, that's it right there. Murphy had a hellish hop, and the ball that won it was a deep fly out. If murphy's chest magically sported a glove, we might still be playing this game.

The bullpen is pretty disappointing, but to be honest the starting pitching, the offense, and the defense haven't gotten their game together either. And all 4 problems together culminates into something pretty mediocre, and often disappointing.

I like that.

"Here are his bad trades. He has made some good trades, but those are unimportant. Again, look at his bad trades."

Well, my point was that in the last couple years, Beinfest hasn't even pulled out one of the good trades. Point being that if he had gotten anything worthwhile when he traded valuable or once highly valuable players, that is actually an alternative to the throw crap against the wall and hope you get lucky approach.

Leo Nunez?

I like that.

What the hell are you talking about? Mike Jacobs for Leo Nunez wasn't "one of the good trades"? Kevin Gregg for Jose Ceda wasn't "one of the good trades"?

I like that.

Leo Nunez?

We traded a player who warranted getting a decent player in return. The fact that we didn't get completely hosed in that deal doesn't make it a win, it just makes it not completely horrible. But by the numbers Leo wasn't that great of a reliever last year, even though he had an ERA near 4 as a setup man, which is really not that great when many good setup men can sport 2 or sub-2 ERAs, he was thrust into the closers role out of necessity and really wasn't that good in that role either. Only because of our lack of depth did he both get the position last year and keep it this year.

Chris Resop for Kevin Gregg was a clear win. Trading talent (and yes, despite Jacobs failure in the AL he was a very productive hitter when he was traded) and getting talent in return is just an even trade. But this team's recent history is so marred by completely lopsided trades that even these seem like wins when they aren't.

lol at Mike Jacobs warranting a decent player in return. We robbed the Royals big time in that deal.

Let's put it this way. Among all MLB 1st basemen who qualified in 2008 (year we traded him), Jacobs ranked 19th out of 27 1st basemen in OPS, and his absolutely TERRIBLE defense should've made his trade value really low.

I wouldn't mind trading Leo. He ain't worth the money. Too many blown saves and high era. Then again, I expect all closers to be like the dude on the yankees lol.

Hell no we shouldn't trade Leo and he won't be making much money. About 4 to 6 Mil per year for 3 or 4 years is pretty cheap for a great closer.

He's only blown 5 saves and we've ended up winning in 3 of them and since when is a 2.74 ERA High?

So you guys expect beinfest to win every trade? Lol

Maybe not completely lose them when it comes to trading future HOFers & ex-cy young runner-ups and two-time all-stars.

This whole discussion started on the topic of whether or not there was anything Beinfest could do besides try and get lucky every year. I'm simply offering up the alternative that talent could have been had when talent was shipped out. I really don't see how there is any way to dispute that.

I wouldn't mind trading Leo. He ain't worth the money. Too many blown saves and high era. Then again, I expect all closers to be like the dude on the yankees lol.

Hell no we shouldn't trade Leo and he won't be making much money. About 4 to 6 Mil per year for 3 or 4 years is pretty cheap for a great closer.

He's only blown 5 saves and we've ended up winning in 3 of them and since when is a 2.74 ERA High?

He only pitches 1 inning most of the time. I just have crazy expectations.

How expensive is that for a merely good one? At a position defined by guys like Rivera, Hoffman, K-Rod, and other guys who have had numerous years of being completely lights out, a guy who has had one shaky year followed by a reasonably good year does not deserve the great label.