The Official Giancarlo Stanton Man Crush Thread

Why did he go unclaimed when the fish put him on waivers this month then? He was already hot.

Because that's not how waivers work. If a team claimed him the Marlins could have just let him go and the other team would automatically be stuck with 100% of what's remaining on the contract. No team is gonna put a waiver claim on a contract that big. Way too big of a risk financially. 

You just made my point though. These guys are saying he'd get a contract worth more as a free agent, I disagree with them. If they were right, a team would have claimed his current deal... right?

No... I say he can get $35-$40 million per year in the short term, not 10 years at that price. 4 years $150 million I see him getting after a year like this. 10 years is way down the line, anything can happen. Maybe even a contract like Lebron was doing 1 year $40 million with the chance to re-sign anywhere he wanted after every year.

Exactly again my point. If he can't beat more guaranteed money, he has no reason to opt out. He'd be insane to switch to a smaller guaranteed deal.

Yes exactly. He can't get more guaranteed now. But it is possible over the long term he gets more money if he 1) Thinks he can have similar seasons (or better) for 10 more years and 2) The average salary of stars continues to rise. All it takes is someone getting overpaid in FA out of a team's desperation, maybe $35 million per year, who is less valuable than Stanton. Stanton is then left feeling he should make more (rightfully so).

You just made my point though. These guys are saying he'd get a contract worth more as a free agent, I disagree with them. If they were right, a team would have claimed his current deal... right?

Ohhh yeah I see the point you were making. I guess I was just explaining the actual reason why he wasn't claimed. 

Why Stanton could be the greatest player of our generation...

With Stanton chasing down Roger Maris for the steroid-free single season home run record...

The 3 players ahead of Maris are all known steroid users. All benefited lots from steroids.

Sosa: 35-ish homer guy to 60+, clear deformed steroid jaw .

McGwire: 40 to 50-ish homer guy to 70. But from video of him early on he appears he could have been taking steroids early on in his career.

Bonds: 30 to 40-ish homer guy and stolen bases to 73 and muscle-bound/slow.

All of Stanton's improvements this year can be attributed to his change in approach and batting stance. He has the same power and same exit velocities, but he's making much more contact. This shows all kids, you don't have to cheat to be great, but have the courage to change habits.