The Official Giancarlo Stanton Man Crush Thread

LordMagnus

Oh also he won't reach 200 strikeouts this year, many didn't think he would be able to do that at the beginning of the year. :dancehead

He's on pace for 171, not that it matters.

With his amazing power and defense in RF + plate discipline that will improve as he ages, he could strike out 271 times and he'd still be valuable.

Oh also he won't reach 200 strikeouts this year, many didn't think he would be able to do that at the beginning of the year. :dancehead

He's on pace for 171, not that it matters.

With his amazing power and defense in RF + plate discipline that will improve as he ages, he could strike out 271 times and he'd still be valuable.

As long as those Ks are with the bases empty, or in a washout game with us up, I'm all for it.

I'd also like to see some more doubles out of him. The 25 homers are nice, but just 19 doubles.

HR's > 2B's

He's 21 and has a .271 .ISO. That is just amazing power. It's unbelievable. Hopefully he's in a Marlins uniform when he's breaking all-time records in the future.

I'd also like to see some more doubles out of him. The 25 homers are nice, but just 19 doubles.

HR's > 2B's

I know this, Erick ... I'm just saying, I'd like to see more doubles as well as the homers. He could easily be a 40 homer 40 double guy.

HR's > 2B's

I know this, Erick ... I'm just saying, I'd like to see more doubles as well as the homers. He could easily be a 40 homer 40 double guy.

The 4 triples are decent too for a guy with his size.

Right now he is doing everything asked, in technically his first season his numbers are almost identical to what they were last year besides strikeouts, which he is doing slightly better in.

If he gets his batting average up we could have the next Albert Pujols.

I get that your trying to praise him, but by using his standard numbers your actually selling him short. Look at some of his other numbers and you'll see he's actually an improved hitter. BB% is up, K% down. His ISO is up from .248 to .276. Overall his .wOBA is up .015 from what was already a very good year last year. His BABIP is down from last year which is why his average hasn't jumped despite a higher HR/FB rate. The only downward trending numbers are a lower Line Drive rate and a higher number of groundballs (which you dont want a guy like Stanton hitting.) However, his IFFB% is way down so it seems when he gets it in the air its going a longer way (HR/FB) reflects this. I haven't taken a look at his plate discipline and contact numbers so I'm not seeing the whole picture but the fact remains he is having an excellent season and taken a decent sized step forward from last year. If he makes another equally sized improvement next year we're talking a borderline MVP candidate at the age of 22.

Sorry for all the numbers in paragraph form which I know can make it difficult to follow, but the jist of it is that Stanton is an extremely exciting player that has a chance to be really really good for a very long time.

Right now he is doing everything asked, in technically his first season his numbers are almost identical to what they were last year besides strikeouts, which he is doing slightly better in.

If he gets his batting average up we could have the next Albert Pujols.

I get that your trying to praise him, but by using his standard numbers your actually selling him short. Look at some of his other numbers and you'll see he's actually an improved hitter. BB% is up, K% down. His ISO is up from .248 to .276. Overall his .wOBA is up .015 from what was already a very good year last year. His BABIP is down from last year which is why his average hasn't jumped despite a higher HR/FB rate. The only downward trending numbers are a lower Line Drive rate and a higher number of groundballs (which you dont want a guy like Stanton hitting.) However, his IFFB% is way down so it seems when he gets it in the air its going a longer way (HR/FB) reflects this. I haven't taken a look at his plate discipline and contact numbers so I'm not seeing the whole picture but the fact remains he is having an excellent season and taken a decent sized step forward from last year. If he makes another equally sized improvement next year we're talking a borderline MVP candidate at the age of 22.

Sorry for all the numbers in paragraph form which I know can make it difficult to follow, but the jist of it is that Stanton is an extremely exciting player that has a chance to be really really good for a very long time.

Good points, and yes, sorry I didn't dive into more of his peripherals probably should have in this instance.

Also I never cared much for wOBA, might as well just look at OBP, but the BB% and K% are important as is his .ISO improvement.

Good points, and yes, sorry I didn't dive into more of his peripherals probably should have in this instance.

Also I never cared much for wOBA, might as well just look at OBP, but the BB% and K% are important as is his .ISO improvement.

You never cared for wOBA? Care to explain why?

• 2 weeks later...

They say he lacks plate discipline? Well, guess who leads the league in walks since the break....

well, in fairness, he is 4th in walks.

Hes approaching Adam Dunn like levels of Three True Outcomes-dom since the All Star Break. Almost half of his PAs end in either a walk, a K, or a Hr.