Billy Wagner Plans to Retire.

MrMarlinPride

Last night Billy Wagner picked up his 30th save of the season and finished his 50th game of the season, activating his 2011 option worth $6.5MM. However, the closer reiterated his desire to call it a career, writes David O'Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

“I’m retiring,� the 38-year-old lefty said. “I don’t know how to say it in a politically correct way, that anybody’s going to believe me.

Wagner's 2010 totals suggest that he still has plenty of baseball left in him. The lefty has a 1.68 ERA with 12.9 K/9 and 2.5 BB/9.

As Tim Dierkes recently pointed out, a guaranteed $6.5MM wouldn't mean a great deal to Wagner as he would make at least that much on the open market anyway. It also doesn't sound like Wagner, who has 415 career saves, is sweating the opportunity to eclipse John Franco's 424 saves to have the fourth most all-time. Back in April, Billy the Kid said that he wasn't concerned with the mark.

He's had an outstanding year and it would be a good way to go out after a great season and a playoff run.

I honestly did not expect him to pitch this well after his absence from the game.

I thought he said this was gonna be his last year before the season.

He did, but no one thought he was going to be this good and he even, activated the choice of an option worth 6.5 MM.

He's trying to backup his statement and says he's retireing no matter what and it would be smart for him to retire after such a great season.

Pretty good career for a guy who is a natural righty.

yea, i was about to say that I think i read somewhere that he was a right handed pitcher before an accident and he taught himself to pitch LH. Crazy

Retiring on top of his game.. good for him.

:balloons :party :elefant :super :banana :woof :arms :balloons

Errrr I mean, well that's good that he's retiring ontop of his game. In all seriousness, always sad to see a good player retire but he's doing it on his own (not due to a career ending injury or anything like that). He will be missed by many, I'm sure...

Last night Billy Wagner picked up his 30th save of the season and finished his 50th game of the season, activating his 2011 option worth $6.5MM. However, the closer reiterated his desire to call it a career, writes David O'Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

“I’m retiring,� the 38-year-old lefty said. “I don’t know how to say it in a politically correct way, that anybody’s going to believe me.

Wagner's 2010 totals suggest that he still has plenty of baseball left in him. The lefty has a 1.68 ERA with 12.9 K/9 and 2.5 BB/9.

As Tim Dierkes recently pointed out, a guaranteed $6.5MM wouldn't mean a great deal to Wagner as he would make at least that much on the open market anyway. It also doesn't sound like Wagner, who has 415 career saves, is sweating the opportunity to eclipse John Franco's 424 saves to have the fourth most all-time. Back in April, Billy the Kid said that he wasn't concerned with the mark.

How sad is that? So many people are unretiring that people who actually plan to retire for good the first time can't even do it properly. Or is it just Favre's fault?