Some Movement For Marlins, Uggla

Rabbethan

If he turned that down for real, I'd let him play the season out on a one year contract and either trade him if we're out of it or let him walk for draft picks.

Frankly, I'm not sure I even care if Uggla resigns. I just like the 4-48 million offer as a sign that we're not messing around anymore. I don't like the idea of 34 year old Dan Uggla, I just like that the front office looks like it's getting away from the frugality for good. I expected them to, but it's nice to have confirmation.

Now, take that $48 mil and give it to Stanton on an Evan Longoria-type 8 year deal, like tomorrow.

If it's true that Uggla did reject that offer for 4 years and $48mill then I'm pretty disappointed in Uggla. It's going to be interesting to see what the Marlins do now, but there's a pretty good chance Uggla will not be a Marlin either next year or 2012. Sucks but the Marlins have to do what they have to do at this point..Uggla is being pretty stubborn

Well, his agent fills his head with all of the comparable deals demonstrating that he's worth a zillion dollars, and then you have Ross urging him to play out his last arb year and sign with the Giants, and then, lo and behold, you wind up with someone who has grossly overestimated his value. He's no Hanley or Stanton or LoMo or even Cogs.

He never fit into the long-term objective of good defense to support good pitching, but he's managed to perform well enough offensively to merit an offer. Now, he's beyond pressing his luck. It's not like this team lacks for hitting and power. It does lack good defense. He's one of the reasons and he's never going to get any better than he has been, which isn't very, the return of Perry Hill notwithstanding.

That we even offered 4/48 demonstrates the ultimate in seriousness, and was probably made as a final take-it-or-leave-it offer whether they told him and his agent that or not. If not, I'm sure they can probably figure it out.

I'd prefer that he rejects it and is traded. There are other holes that 10-12 million for next year can go a long way toward filling.

Uggla will punch his ticket out of South Florida if he rejects this offer.

Coghlan will play second next year.

Result: Less power but higher average, more speed, better defense plus $12 million/year to pay for whomever we get in the trade.

I can live with that.

Result: Less power but higher average, more speed, better defense plus $12 million/year to pay for whomever we get in the trade.

I can live with that.

+1. Although I have a hard time believing that a guy who was asking for 5/50 gets this kind of deal and turns it down.

I can live with that.

I hope that those who continue to put Coghlan on a pedestal he has not yet earned are correct.

I agree with Watertown. Coghlan has had trouble staying in the lineup. That loss of power will hurt our offense more than some here realize. We lose his 100 RBI's we had best replace them somehow. I just don't see Coghlan as a 100 RBI guy. Higher batting average doesn't always mean more RBI's. And you win games by scoring RBI's not with higher batting averages.

Uggla has been one of my favorites since his rookie year, even more so than Hanley, but I will not shed a tear or blame a frugal owner if he leaves in light of the reported contract offer.

While I don't see Coghlan being able to replace the offensive numbers of Uggla, if he resembles anything like he did his rookie season and LoMo continues his development come 2012, Uggla's production will not be missed as much. The FO could then take some of that money break off some to Nolasco and get a bullpen.

With or without Uggla this team has enough good young players that they could be in contention for the reasonable future.

I agree with Watertown. Coghlan has had trouble staying in the lineup. That loss of power will hurt our offense more than some here realize. We lose his 100 RBI's we had best replace them somehow. I just don't see Coghlan as a 100 RBI guy. Higher batting average doesn't always mean more RBI's. And you win games by scoring RBI's not with higher batting averages.

RBI's are overrated. The only reason why Uggla had 100 RBI's was because he had plenty of opportunities to drive in 100 runs. It's not as if he's been great with .RISP.

Never worry about RBI's. If Uggla leaves, that just means Stanton will be putting up 100+ RBI's because he'll be getting the chance to hit 4th.

FOXSports.com also suggested that Uggla might be interested in playing for the Yankees, Red Sox or Phillies.

Lol what Major Leaguer wouldnt be? Maybe the Red Sox would try him at 3rd to replace Beltre.

I'll take "Three teams that have no use for Dan Uggla" for $100, Alex.

I mean, like you said, the Red Sox COULD use him as a 3B... maybe... but that's a bad fit for the Marlins as Uggla the 3B has less market value than Uggla the 2B.