Loria is deadly serious.

He really loves baseball, and he has a lot of knowledge about his team. I can respect that.

Maybe it would be better if he didn't know a lot about Baseball? He might spend more money instead of trying to micromanage?

Maybe he'd spend more money if fans actually showed up to the stadium, on a consistent basis.

That will be the basis of the slogan for mlb.com in 2012... "No excuses, people. SHOW UP!"

A slight twist on the Heat's newest slogan of "Fan Up." Which, IMO, is petty sad they even had to come up with.

But I don't see it as micromanaging. He has in the past basically given the FO a budget to work on and let them go. They would say "Pitching. defense, speed" and not follow it. This time he is evidently heavily into things and is ensuring that mantra is executed. About time (can't be said enough).

He really loves baseball, and he has a lot of knowledge about his team. I can respect that.

Maybe it would be better if he didn't know a lot about Baseball? He might spend more money instead of trying to micromanage?

Maybe he'd spend more money if fans actually showed up to the stadium, on a consistent basis.

And now someone replies "Maybe more fans would show up if he spent more money." We must be running out of new things to talk about.

I don't think they still make any real money, no matter how many show up, because of the onerous rent they pay & the lack of parking & concession money. They have to get into that new stadium. Once they get there, Loria has no excuses, and if he still is only spending around 60% of the league average, then we should all have a problem with him.

He will be spending more money once he is able to make any money from stadium revenues.

Exactly.

He tried it before, speculating on increased stadium revenue in '05 with Delgado. Didn't work. Fans didn't show. Retrench out of necessity.

Contrary to what the Loria-haters claim, since the new stadium became a reality he's spent big bucks locking-up Hanley and JJ for $109 million. That ain't chopped liver.

Although he failed to get the idiotic Uggla to accept big bucks, we will now spend them better elsewhere. He's looking to sign Nolasco for 3 years and spent $18 million on 3 years of Buck because he had to.

If he was willing to stick his neck out in '05 on Delgado with no stadium in prospect to try to keep winning, isn't there clearly a very high possibility he will now do so again, now that the new stadium is a certainty?

Nobody should be surprised if the evil and hated Loria shocks us with one or more major deals or signings for more than one year as we go down the path to a new stadium and being a club that can spend a league-average $80 million or so a year in the future.

He will be spending more money once he is able to make any money from stadium revenues.

Exactly.

He tried it before, speculating on increased stadium revenue in '05 with Delgado. Didn't work. Fans didn't show. Retrench out of necessity.

Contrary to what the Loria-haters claim, since the new stadium became a reality he's spent big bucks locking-up Hanley and JJ for $109 million. That ain't chopped liver.

Although he failed to get the idiotic Uggla to accept big bucks, we will now spend them better elsewhere. He's looking to sign Nolasco for 3 years and spent $18 million on 3 years of Buck because he had to.

If he was willing to stick his neck out in '05 on Delgado with no stadium in prospect to try to keep winning, isn't there clearly a very high possibility he will now do so again, now that the new stadium is a certainty?

Nobody should be surprised if the evil and hated Loria shocks us with one or more major deals or signings for more than one year as we go down the path to a new stadium and being a club that can spend a league-average $80 million or so a year in the future.

I think it's pretty much a given at this point that Loria is looking to make a big splash next offseason.

Exactly.

I think it's pretty much a given at this point that Loria is looking to make a big splash next offseason.

But because of his reputation, does he have to now OVERPAY to get anyone to come here. His reputation again took a hit this week, after Uggla said to the world, I'd rather play for anyone else than take that deal from the Marlins.

Big deal, $ 109 million. Most teams have twice or more sewn up in future contracts. You think that should forgive all of Loria's sins of the past 7 years ? That should forgive his shopping the franchise to San Antonio & Las Vegas ?

Big deal, $ 109 million. Most teams have twice or more sewn up in future contracts. You think that should forgive all of Loria's sins of the past 7 years ? That should forgive his shopping the franchise to San Antonio & Las Vegas ?

So because most other teams overpay for older talent, we look bad? Ok buddy.

And for the record, they never wanted to move the team. At that time, it wasn't looking good for a stadium deal to happen. It was more of a negotiation tactic than threat.

Exactly.

But because of his reputation, does he have to now OVERPAY to get anyone to come here. His reputation again took a hit this week, after Uggla said to the world, I'd rather play for anyone else than take that deal from the Marlins.

Jesus Christ, you're blowing this hole reputation thing out of proportions. They aren't nearly as vilified as you make them out to be. Uggla hasn't signed with the Braves yet so we don't know anything, and even if he did that's just one damn player. Jeez.

Or even this off-season. A splash wouldn't hurt ticket sales, and they're not even selling single-game tickets for '12 yet.

I'm just thinking about what I would do. An unexpected acquisition or two this year, especially if they manage to get anywhere in the play-offs this year would be killer. Add a further unexpected acquisition next year. That might actually generate some serious excitement.

When you have a franchise worth maybe $300 million, juicing it with an extra $10 or $20 million over the next couple years could pay off even in the medium-term, and they certainly have an incentive to do so.

Which is why I posit the scenario. Loria's done it before, Now he has much better odds.

Or even this off-season. A splash wouldn't hurt ticket sales, and they're not even selling single-game tickets for '12 yet.

I'm just thinking about what I would do. An unexpected acquisition or two this year, especially if they manage to get anywhere in the play-offs this year would be killer. Add a further unexpected acquisition next year. That might actually generate some serious excitement.

When you have a franchise worth maybe $300 million, juicing it with an extra $10 or $20 million over the next couple years could pay off even in the medium-term, and they certainly have an incentive to do so.

Which is why I posit the scenario. Loria's done it before, Now he has much better odds.

I think if he could, he'd look for something as early as the trade deadline but we simply don't have enough prospects to make a 'big' splash. If I were him, I'd wait until next offseason to really shock the hell out of people.

I think if he could, he'd look for something as early as the trade deadline but we simply don't have enough prospects to make a 'big' splash. If I were him, I'd wait until next offseason to really shock the hell out of people.

You might well be right. Loria sounds very motivated, as well he should be, but I'm just looking at the possibilities of surprising stuff happening versus not. Remains to be seen. I hope it happens.

Believe it or not, Loria has been the team's best owner as far as product on the field goes. I'm pretty sure the overall record under Loria's ownership is much better than under other ownerships. Plus, the new stadium pretty much guarantees a future in Miami, but apparently that doesn't matter to some people here.

Believe it or not, Loria has been the team's best owner as far as product on the field goes. I'm pretty sure the overall record under Loria's ownership is much better than under other ownerships. Plus, the new stadium pretty much guarantees a future in Miami, but apparently that doesn't matter to some people here.

1993-2002

'93 64-98

'94 51-64

'95 67-76

'96 80-82

'97 92-70

'98 54-108

'99 64-98

'00 79-82

'01 76-86

'02 79-83

706-847 = .455

2003-2010

'03 91-71

'04 83-79

'05 83-79

'06 78-84

'07 71-91

'08 84-77

'09 87-75

'10 80-82

657-638 = .507

Not a lot better, but better.

Over an 8-year period of Loria's ownership, we've only been more than 6 games under .500 one time. That's pretty good. It's a pretty impressive track record for the front office in my opinion.

And, looked at another way, in the first 10 years we only had exactly one winning season, the one Wayne bought: '97.

Loria looks like a genius by comparison, either way.

He also looks like a genius when compared to Pittsburgh, who spent a lot more money than did we over the last 8 years:

'03 75-87

'04 72-89

'05 67-95

'06 67-95

'07 68-94

'08 67-95

'09 62-99

'10 57-105

535-759 = .413

Ugh.

And they're going downhill.

They last had a winning season in '92.

Yeah, the point is that Loria gets a lot more grief than he deserves. The Expos/Nationals franchise has actually been WORSE since he sold them and they moved.

Don't try to confuse the Loria/Beinfest-haters with facts. How dare you!

This must be stopped immediately.