AZ Rep. Gabrielle Giffords shot, 5 others killed.

Rabbethan

There are conflicting reports as to whether or not she's alive, but it's been confirmed she's been shot in the head at a "Congress on Your Corner" event in Arizona.

She is part of Sarah Palin's "hitlist":

And they still have her on the interactive map on http://www.takebackthe20.com/.

surprise surprise.... that link is dead.

And I think she and six others were killed.

Why is it dumb? How many times have we heard comments like "The tree of liberty must be watered by the blood of tyrants" from all the tea party wack jobs? What did they think would eventually happen ?

This guy is an anti-government whack job. The only way Palin could be an accomplice is if she personally called this man and told him to do what he did. Palin was against her healthcare stance, but I am guessing Palin is in full support of Giffords hardline stance on illegal immigration.

Why is it dumb? How many times have we heard comments like "The tree of liberty must be watered by the blood of tyrants" from all the tea party wack jobs? What did they think would eventually happen ?

This guy is an anti-government whack job. The only way Palin could be an accomplice is if she personally called this man and told him to do what he did. Palin was against her healthcare stance, but I am guessing Palin is in full support of Giffords hardline stance on illegal immigration.

The bolded is false, but there is a virtually nil chance that she could be held as an accomplice anyway, even if he directly stated that the map was his sole motivation for his acts and was proven otherwise sane. The link is far too remote, and holding Palin responsible would create an absurdly dangerous precedent, so it would never happen, unless there was a LOT more to the story than anyone can imagine.

Palin isn't responsible, but she is reckless in her rhetoric. And that's an issue. Politics are contentious enough without gun imagery and calls to "reload". It created an atmosphere where fear is the dominant driver of people's thoughts and actions, and the mentally unstable are easily effected. It's frightening.

LMAO @ people bringing Sarah Palin up.

Just shows how sh*tty we are as humans. How many people were salivating over the possible politics of blaming the right? Honestly!

On another note.. If I hear 'Gabrielle Gifford was shot along with 20 other people including one 9 year old girl,' I'm going to go crazy. It's so incredibly disrespectful to not name the other people at least occasionally. I understand she's the biggest name around, but put the sh*tty journalism aside.

In a Politico article a classmate says the guy is a liberal leftist.. I don't know what he is but whatever his political views are I bet the unemployment rate among the geniuses somehow blamimg Palin is at least 3 times the national average.

He also compared a person having an abortion to a terrorist and rambled about having a gold or silver backed currency, so im going to say it's best to define his political beliefs as "incoherent."

As for Palin, i don't think anyone is blaming her for this. That would be silly. But she contributes to a political culture that defines the terms of debate in terms of war and violence. It is not a stretch to say that a climate like that is more conducive to promoting acts of random violence. Is Sarah Palin alone to blame? Absolutely not. But with constant rhetoric that refers to arming yourself and reloading and other such things, she's certainly as guilty as anyone.

And the only reason she is an issue in this is because of the eerie coincidence involving the SarahPAC map with a rifle site on This district. When all of this was breaking, and people were acting on their initial feelings, people looked at that for a reason, as people look for reasons for anything that you can't wrap your mind around. It wasn't rational, but it was an excuse. I would suspect most people, when they've calmed down will say that she's obviously not responsible in the least.

I think Andrew Sullivan (andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com) puts it succinctly:

And a prayer that, whatever the precise dynamic that brought this evil to the surface, we can get past the violent rhetoric of our time and the poisonous polarization that fuels it. It has been ugly; it has been cruel; it has been reckless.

And it has to end.

Yeah, charge Palin as an accomplice :rolleyes:

... really? Must I itterate how much of a foolish comment that was? Sure, Palin should be held accountable if she continues preach in such a figurative way of speech... but she's in no way responsible for this despite any influence she might have had.

And that person admitted later that he spoke out of anger.