ESPN with a small piece of Marlins love

Hammerhead

I use the 20-80 grading scale in these comments to avoid saying "average" and "above average" thousands of times across the 100 player comments. On that scale, a grade of 50 equals major league average; 55 is above-average, 60 is plus, 45 is fringy or below-average, and so on. Mike Stanton has 80 raw power. Bengie Molina has 20 speed. An average fastball for a right-hander is 90-92, with 1-2 mph off for a lefty.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/insider/columns/story?columnist=law_keith&page=LawTop100Prospects1-25&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fmlb%2finsider%2fcolumns%2fstory%3fcolumnist%3dlaw_keith%26page%3dLawTop100Prospects1-25

The rest is insider stuff but according to MLBTR, he gave Mike Trout, last year's prospect of the year, #1 prospect honors.

It's pretty obvious Mike Stanton has the most raw power out of any under 25 player in baseball. Really don't need ESPN to tell us the obvious.

Keith Law does a good job overall, but sometimes he says incredibly stupid things.(And yes, I'll take a chance to bash Keith Law even though the conversation isn't about him just as he bashed Chris Coghlan during a conversation in which he was supposed to praise him for winning Rookie of the Year).

And to think, this happened on the same day as when Bob Ryan, on Around The Horn, said the Marlins have already proven that they shouldn't exist, and Tony Riali (I don't care how to spell it) gave him the point.

Reali gives points away for everything lol

Ya. But it was the "point" for winning the topic in the head-to-head round.

And to think, this happened on the same day as when Bob Ryan, on Around The Horn, said the Marlins have already proven that they shouldn't exist,

ugh, should I even ask how he reached this brilliant conclusion?

Merely by his own declaration. I'm unaware of any reasoning (likely because it doesn't legitimately exist).

It was a U2 vs. The Marlins category about the crap with the game in Seattle.

And to think, this happened on the same day as when Bob Ryan, on Around The Horn, said the Marlins have already proven that they shouldn't exist,

Senility makes a man think and say some crazy things.

Merely by his own declaration. I'm unaware of any reasoning (likely because it doesn't legitimately exist).

It was a U2 vs. The Marlins category about the crap with the game in Seattle.

i didn't see ATH today, but most Marlins haters usually cite attendance and the "fire sales every other year." probably one of those that thinks giving up dan uggla was idiotic.

yeah I just figured that would start to die down since we've been giving out multi-year contracts, new stadium coming, you know the things all the real teams are supposed to do?

Will it not end until we overpay some aging has-been with a ridiculously stupid long contract? Is that when we'll finally be a real team?

Suck it national media.

Hey, amongst all of the back-biting and BS, all is not lost.

There is a feel-good story in MLB. Gil Meche walked away from $12 mill. Four years ago, the Royals signed him to what was a dubious 5-yr contract, and sure enough, he fell apart at the end of it. He tried to do a non-surgical rehab and turn himself into a reliever last year, but it didn't work out.

But, unlike, say, Pavano, Meche decided that having shoulder surgery and going on the DL forever wasn't fair to his employer and he retired, forfeiting the last year of his contract. Didn't ask for a buy-out of any kind.

The guy gets my vote for player of the year, even though he won't throw a single pitch in '11.

Ya know, while I could take your comment as humor, your history says otherwise.

I posit Meche as a exemplary guy with some actual standards of fair-play (while having a VERY large amount of money at stake ) and you promptly find a reason to trash the Marlins by implication, when there is absolutely NO reason to think that he'll spend spring training doing anything other than observing from retirement, or that any team would invite him to play anywhere.

I can only conclude that beyond acting like a troll most of the time, you really are an asshole.

yeah I just figured that would start to die down since we've been giving out multi-year contracts, new stadium coming, you know the things all the real teams are supposed to do?

Will it not end until we overpay some aging has-been with a ridiculously stupid long contract? Is that when we'll finally be a real team?

Suck it national media.

I don't think this stigma ever goes away within the national media, we could win 3 World Series in a row and sign a couple of big name free agents to big contracts, double our attendance and whenever something negative happen it'll be the same old "It's the Marlins" spiel. Most everything that get's shuffled through ESPN, (Local media isn't a whole lot better) and it's various programs is reported with ignorance on the subject, taken out of context, or is simplified to the point of uselessness. I think this case is another prime example, aside from this case involving the Marlins what does this really have to do with the Marlins. They have no real part is this decision, neither them or MLB have any real sway, this is Ross and his people running Sunlife who can't wait for this team to get the hell out of there. This won't happen to any other team because every other team actually has some, if not all, control for their stadiums use. Until ESPN actually decides to do some legit reporting on us (HA!) we'll still always be the "Joke of a franchise that MLB wanted to so badly contract", even though MLB was one of the biggest players in helping and actually getting us a stadium and making sure this team stayed in Miami.

So yeah, I'll second your suck it national media. Hate us and call us incompetent and a joke all you want, makes victory so much sweeter.