Buck contract 15th biggest FA contract of the year

Unless Vladimir Guerrero, Scott Podsednik or another free agent signs an unexpectedly lucrative deal, the biggest contracts of the offseason have all been finalized. As MLBTR's Free Agent Tracker shows, 20 free agents signed deals worth $15MM or more this offseason.

That's not counting the extensions that non-free agents like Troy Tulowitzki and Jay Bruce signed and we're only talking about guaranteed dollars. Many of the players below could earn more or less than the figures listed, depending on player opt-outs and vesting options. With that in mind, here are the 20 free agents who signed for the most guaranteed money this offseason:

1. Carl Crawford - Red Sox - $142MM

2. Jayson Werth - Nationals - $126MM

3. Cliff Lee - Phillies - $120MM

4. Adrian Beltre - Rangers - $80MM

5. Adam Dunn - White Sox - $56MM

6. Derek Jeter - Yankees - $51MM

7. Victor Martinez - Tigers - $50MM

8. Paul Konerko - White Sox - $37.5MM

9. Rafael Soriano - Yankees - $35MM

10. Ted Lilly - Dodgers - $33MM

11. Jorge de la Rosa - Rockies - $32MM

12. Mariano Rivera - Yankees - $30MM

13. Aubrey Huff - Giants - $22MM

14. Juan Uribe - Dodgers - $21MM

15. John Buck - Marlins - $18MM

16. Joaquin Benoit - Tigers - $16.5MM

16. Carl Pavano - Twins - $16.5MM

16. Jake Westbrook - Cardinals - $16.5MM

19. Adam LaRoche - Nationals - $16MM

20. Scott Downs - Angels - $15MM

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/02/the-20-biggest-free-agent-deals-of-the-offseason.html

Unless Vladimir Guerrero, Scott Podsednik or another free agent signs an unexpectedly lucrative deal, the biggest contracts of the offseason have all been finalized. As MLBTR's Free Agent Tracker shows, 20 free agents signed deals worth $15MM or more this offseason.

That's not counting the extensions that non-free agents like Troy Tulowitzki and Jay Bruce signed and we're only talking about guaranteed dollars. Many of the players below could earn more or less than the figures listed, depending on player opt-outs and vesting options. With that in mind, here are the 20 free agents who signed for the most guaranteed money this offseason:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/02/the-20-biggest-free-agent-deals-of-the-offseason.html

Say what you will, its just nice to have the Marlins even mentioned on a list like that... The winds of change are coming!

http://www.mlbtrader...-offseason.html

Say what you will, its just nice to have the Marlins even mentioned on a list like that... The winds of change are coming!

I still cant believe they gave Werth that kind of money... Its silly

Yea I thought I was over the Werth deal and then I see that list and once again I go... "They gave Jayson freakin Werth HOW MUCH???"

The Nationals gave him that contract because that is what it would require to bring in a big name FA to Washington. The Nats FO doesn't think his baseball skill is worth that much (or at least I sure hope so) but realize that they need to set a team in place for the future in order to attract other big names to come. Werth is just eye candy to lure in future FA's, along with Zimmerman, Strasburg, and Harper for the 2012 FA class.

That's my opinion at least.

Yeah and we could've also had Manny Ramirez for Jeremy Hermida, right?

Didn't jump the gun there. Missed out. Now, I'm not suggesting that we trade our prospects for rental players at all... but what I am saying is that it's easy to know what you've missed after you've missed it. For all you know, Buck could've been going for an equal contract elsewhere.

Yea I thought I was over the Werth deal and then I see that list and once again I go... "They gave Jayson freakin Werth HOW MUCH???"

The Nationals gave him that contract because that is what it would require to bring in a big name FA to Washington. The Nats FO doesn't think his baseball skill is worth that much (or at least I sure hope so) but realize that they need to set a team in place for the future in order to attract other big names to come. Werth is just eye candy to lure in future FA's, along with Zimmerman, Strasburg, and Harper for the 2012 FA class.

That's my opinion at least.

Valid opinion... but its gonna take more winning on the part of the Nats as a whole. If they keep losing for most of Werth's 7 years, FA's arent gonna say "Man I gotta go to Washington"... theyre gonna be like most of the rest of the baseball world and say "Man the Nats were stupid to waste money on Werth and not get anything out of it, I'd hate to go there and be misused." Plus, with most FA's being "better" than Werth, theyll just laugh at that deal instead of expecting a solid enough deal for themselves.

Didn't jump the gun there. Missed out. Now, I'm not suggesting that we trade our prospects for rental players at all... but what I am saying is that it's easy to know what you've missed after you've missed it. For all you know, Buck could've been going for an equal contract elsewhere.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but, wasn't Mike Stanton the missing piece in that trade?

Yeah, they wanted Stanton in that deal. Jesus, talk about completely misrepresenting the reality of the situation there.

I actually wondered about Podsednik. He would be a nice one year option in CF, put Coghlan at 2B or 3B and let Dominguez get some more crucial ABs. Pods did hit .310/.353/.400 in 539 ABs, with 14 2B, 7 3B, 6 HR, and 35(which would have been the most on the team) SB between Kansas City and the Dodgers last year.