Great View of Downtown Miami From Inside New Stadium

FutureGM

Very cool pics, stuff you can't see from the cams (west, southwest, south exterior views.)

However, the sanctimonious "writer" of the piece, Kyle Munzenrieder is a total ass-hat:

You, yes you Miami-Dade and City of Miami tax payer [sic,] paid for the majority of the cost for the Marlins' under construction [sic] stadium. So perhaps you'd like to check in on how the thing is coming along. Surprisingly the project seems to be coming along on schedule

Apparently the New Times has no standards for writing whatsoever, you can just make up any crap that you wish and publish it on their site, while failing punctuation repeatedly.

First, 100% of the money to build it was borrowed via the municipal bond market. The idea is that the borrowings will be repaid by the "bed tax" on hotels, that is to say, future tourists, together with annual revenue from the Marlins. Whether or not that turns out to be the case remains to be seen, but at this point no Miami-area taxpayer has paid even as much as a single dime for the ballpark, never mind the "majority" of anything.

Second, it's not "surprising" at all that it's on-schedule but also on-budget, something that Kyle, who seems to be most interested in throwing ignorant spitballs somehow neglected to mention. Why? The project is being built by the Marlins, a private enterprise with incentives to get it done on-time and on-budget.

The Marlins are on the hook for any cost overruns, and you can bet that there won't be any. If this project was being run by any of the various inefficient, corrupt local government entities, you can also bet that by now we would be reading about how it's doubtful that the ballpark would be ready by April, 2012, massive cost overruns, corruption in the contracting process and on and on. The parade of excuses would be endless.

The New Times did us a service by re-publishing pics provided by the Marlins. The accompanying commentary was less than useless. Perhaps they should reconsider who they allow to "write" for them. I won't hold my breath.

Let me add that the night-time Miami skyline view is nothing short of stupendous.

No other venue in any sport has anything like it. It will enter the visual universe of viewers every time any highlight of a Marlins game is shown. It's so striking and quite starkly amazing that it will indelibly mark this new ballpark in the mind of millions across the country as something totally unique.

Loria, regardless of what anyone may think of him or the rest of the "art" in the park, has pulled off a total master-stroke. Maybe it was the architects or designers who came up with the idea. Doesn't matter. He signed off on it. I stand in awe.

Plus, we're gonna have aquariums. Fish and whatnot. No one else has that behind home plate and no one else could get away with it. This place is gonna set a standard that will be very tough to beat.

Very cool pics, stuff you can't see from the cams (west, southwest, south exterior views.)

However, the sanctimonious "writer" of the piece, Kyle Munzenrieder is a total ass-hat:

Can't argue that. It's quite evident he has a rather open dislike of the team in general, to put it nicely. Even managed to get that attendance jab in at the end. Totally uncalled for.

But they are some nice pix. The wife wants to make the trip down there on Sunday to get a look at it. Sounds like a good idea.

Let me add that the night-time Miami skyline view is nothing short of stupendous.

That's something I'm not usually into. But it is nice in this case. One of the reasons we changed our location from where we sit now to where we sit in the new pond is because we wanted to see all the new place has to offer. From the out of town score boards to the views. If we had opted for the "equivalent seating", we would have missed alot of that experience. So ya kinda give up one thing for something else. It's a personal preference thing.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I cant wait to see what ends up in the Outfield Pool as far as celebrations go. Other then the teams new uniforms, thats what im most excited about seeing at the new stadium.

You mean the actual pool or the big cylinder type "pool" in center field?

In that space goes this ugly thing (though I suppose I should wait to reserve judgment until I see the final product):

The marlins and pelicans and stuff will move around as it rises. Somewhere on the Marlins' website (I think) there was an animation of it working.

No other venue in any sport has anything like it. It will enter the visual universe of viewers every time any highlight of a Marlins game is shown. It's so striking and quite starkly amazing that it will indelibly mark this new ballpark in the mind of millions across the country as something totally unique.

Loria, regardless of what anyone may think of him or the rest of the "art" in the park, has pulled off a total master-stroke. Maybe it was the architects or designers who came up with the idea. Doesn't matter. He signed off on it. I stand in awe.

Plus, we're gonna have aquariums. Fish and whatnot. No one else has that behind home plate and no one else could get away with it. This place is gonna set a standard that will be very tough to beat.

My question is will that skyline get complaints from players that it is distracting ? It may not last all that long.Those windows may be tinted by year 2.

I cant wait to see what ends up in the Outfield Pool as far as celebrations go. Other then the teams new uniforms, thats what im most excited about seeing at the new stadium.

You mean the actual pool or the big cylinder type "pool" in center field?

In that space goes this ugly thing (though I suppose I should wait to reserve judgment until I see the final product):

The marlins and pelicans and stuff will move around as it rises. Somewhere on the Marlins' website (I think) there was an animation of it working.

That is going to be cheesy, tacky and an embarassment. UGH !

My question is will that skyline get complaints from players that it is distracting ? It may not last all that long.Those windows may be tinted by year 2.

I really doubt it - many stadiums have skyline views in completely open air stadiums and it isn't an issue ... i think there are probably more distractions with bells & whistles within the stadium