Could The Marlins Seriously Get Albert Pujols?

I know some Marlins fans are going to think that I'm on crack, but I wrote a story about this for my school newspaper. Albert Pujols said he would accept a trade to 4 teams: Marlins, Astros, Angels, and Dodgers. I can guarantee that the Marlins will not trade for Pujols because we would have to give up way too much. He has a $16 million option for 2011, after that he is seeking A-Rod money, around 25-30 million a year for about 8 years. Even though the marlins would never do this in a million years, I think they should sign him in the offseason. First of all, the Marlins have been very good with trades in the Beinfest era, but there was one trade that may go down as one of the worst trades in baseball history. Trading Miguel Cabrera and D-Train for 6 prospects we don't even have anymore. That's a damn shame. I know Willis turned out to be a bust, but his downfall started after we traded him. And Miguel Cabrera is a superstar. To make up for that terrible trade and as a welcoming present to the New Marlins Ballpark in 2012, the Marlins should sign Albert Pujols. Pujols also may take less money to play closer to his home, the Dominican Republic.

I know some Marlins fans are going to think that I'm on crack, but I wrote a story about this for my school newspaper. Albert Pujols said he would accept a trade to 4 teams: Marlins, Astros, Angels, and Dodgers. I can guarantee that the Marlins will not trade for Pujols because we would have to give up way too much. He has a $16 million option for 2011, after that he is seeking A-Rod money, around 25-30 million a year for about 8 years. Even though the marlins would never do this in a million years, I think they should sign him in the offseason. First of all, the Marlins have been very good with trades in the Beinfest era, but there was one trade that may go down as one of the worst trades in baseball history. Trading Miguel Cabrera and D-Train for 6 prospects we don't even have anymore. That's a damn shame. I know Willis turned out to be a bust, but his downfall started after we traded him. And Miguel Cabrera is a superstar. To make up for that terrible trade and as a welcoming present to the New Marlins Ballpark in 2012, the Marlins should sign Albert Pujols. Pujols also may take less money to play closer to his home, the Dominican Republic.

Should they? Yes.

Pujols could single handedly save baseball in the city and create an enormous buzz.

Will they? No.

There are many factors to consider here. Will Pujols even hit the free agent market? I doubt it.

Secondly, you risk tying up a large sum of money to one player. I know Pujols is the best player in baseball right now, but you'd have to let a lot of guys walk on a yearly basis to pull this off.

Thirdly, I think he's more likely to be offered a contract that he's seeking by one of the LA teams.

Should they? Yes.

Pujols could single handedly save baseball in the city and create an enormous buzz.

Will they? No.

There are many factors to consider here. Will Pujols even hit the free agent market? I doubt it.

Secondly, you risk tying up a large sum of money to one player. I know Pujols is the best player in baseball right now, but you'd have to let a lot of guys walk on a yearly basis to pull this off.

Thirdly, I think he's more likely to be offered a contract that he's seeking by one of the LA teams.

Nothing can save baseball in Miami.

Hell, the Heat got Lebron James, Chris Bosh and Dwyane Wade and they still have to use gimmicks to get people to go to the games. The fanbase here is just god awful and that is never going to change.

I love Pujols, but realistically there's no chance in hell we even consider him. We'll be one of the "teams in the hunt" just like we were in the A-Rod sweepstakes and almost every big name player, but will never be in serious considerations to get him. Pujols loves St Louis, St. Louis loves him, there's no chance he leaves.

Can we stop having Pujols threads?

It would be nice, but let people have fun and fantasize about getting Pujols. It's not gonna happen, but like Kevin Garnett said,

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dk7Il3EqI0

Nothing can save baseball in Miami.

Hell, the Heat got Lebron James, Chris Bosh and Dwyane Wade and they still have to use gimmicks to get people to go to the games. The fanbase here is just god awful and that is never going to change.

I love Pujols, but realistically there's no chance in hell we even consider him. We'll be one of the "teams in the hunt" just like we were in the A-Rod sweepstakes and almost every big name player, but will never be in serious considerations to get him. Pujols loves St Louis, St. Louis loves him, there's no chance he leaves.

Can we stop having Pujols threads?

It would be nice, but let people have fun and fantasize about getting Pujols. It's not gonna happen, but like Kevin Garnett said,

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dk7Il3EqI0

Or, to put it another way, current payroll is about $56 mill and already has built-in automatic growth for future years for Hanley, Josh, Ricky, Stanton and LoMo if they are to be retained. The assumption is that the new stadium will allow us to consistently be an average payroll team, or about $80 mill.

To add Albert are we going to spend the entire benefit of the stadium while reducing payroll for the entire rest of the team by $6 mill+/year for 10 years?

The odds of there being a way to make this happen are indistinguishable from zero unless one assumes that Albert would allow about 2/3rds of the $300 mill to be deferred and paid out over a 30 or 40 year period following the 10 contract years. And the odds of that ARE zero.

Or, to put it another way, current payroll is about $56 mill and already has built-in automatic growth for future years for Hanley, Josh, Ricky, Stanton and LoMo if they are to be retained. The assumption is that the new stadium will allow us to consistently be an average payroll team, or about $80 mill.

To add Albert are we going to spend the entire benefit of the stadium while reducing payroll for the entire rest of the team by $6 mill+/year for 10 years?

The odds of there being a way to make this happen are indistinguishable from zero unless one assumes that Albert would allow about 2/3rds of the $300 mill to be deferred and paid out over a 30 or 40 year period following the 10 contract years. And the odds of that ARE zero.

• 2 weeks later...