Marlins not on national TV schedule

Shocker isn't it ? :lol But I know these things do change and we should get on at least once - hopefully a JJ start :thumbup

But there are to be 24 teams on (so far) and more surprising than the Marlins missing (even though Stanton should be a TV draw) is the fact that the Brewers are not scheduled on ESPN or FOX all season. I find that odd, since they are one of the favorites to win the NL Central, especially since adding Geinke and with the Cards problems. That division is open for them, if they have some luck. Cinncy might run away with it, but even then I would think they are contenders for the WC.

But back to the Marlins. I just find it odd that despite having one of the budding superstars of the game, we once again are shoved off to the side, and lost and forgotten. Will this change ever ? Even if we win and have a full stadium after 2012 ? Will we always be the red-headed step child of MLB ? :confused

By the way, besides the Marlins and Brewers, the others not on FOX or ESPN are : Houston, Toronto, Pittsburgh and Cleveland.

Bit of a hate on the NL Central then if 3 of 6 not on are from that division

Yeah that is strange, and surprising since baseball I think is pretty strong in the mid-west TV wise. I know that if the Cubs & Milwaukee are in contention, more than a few Cubs fans would tune in to see a Mikwaukee Saturday afternoon game before heading out to a game at Wrigley that night. Same goes for the folks in St. Louis.

As for the Marlins, okay, I get that ESPN & FOX don't want to show our empty stadium or be subjected to the always possible rain delay, but c'mon, we only play 78 games there this year. We play 84 on the road, with many of them at Philly, Atlanta and the Mets. WTF is wrong that poor Mike will never get his due nationally ? He should be a bigger star than Heyward, yet many fans don't even know who he is. I think he'd be a natural in the HR hitting contest, but can he get enough votes to get voted into the All-Star Game ? Isn't it a requirement to be in the HR contest ?

If Stanton is one of the home run leaders in the NL by the break, he'll be in the derby. You don't need to be on the ASG roster.

Lately it seems that the marque star names like Pujols have been skipping the derby, which gives guys like Stanton more of a chance.

Honestly I don't blame the networks for not giving the Marlins a national broadcast. They need to make money and the Marlins really aren't a popular franchise. In 2012 things might change because there will be interest in seeing the new stadium.

If Stanton is one of the home run leaders in the NL by the break, he'll be in the derby. You don't need to be on the ASG roster.

Lately it seems that the marque star names like Pujols have been skipping the derby, which gives guys like Stanton more of a chance.

Honestly I don't blame the networks for not giving the Marlins a national broadcast. They need to make money and the Marlins really aren't a popular franchise. In 2012 things might change because there will be interest in seeing the new stadium.

I've always wondered if its a chicken vs the egg kind of thing with the Marlins. Are we not popular because the national media ignores us, or are we not popular just because (whatever ????), and that is why the media ignores us ?

Yeah, I must have been thinking of the international one. I think there was at least one or two guys in it that year not on the ASG roster.

However, if Stanton hits enough home runs to warrant being in the derby, it's nearly automatic that he would be on the AS roster anyway. Roster sizes have expanded so much and spots are constantly being filled for injured players, legitimate snubs are becoming less likely.

And the Rays probably have 20 national TV games just because they play the Yankees and Red Sox.:mad

It's not "just because", but you have a mini point. Part of the reason is because they have been a play off team.

Weren't they getting some nationally televised games against the Yankees and Red Sox before they were a playoff team?

As for the Marlins, okay, I get that ESPN & FOX don't want to show our empty stadium or be subjected to the always possible rain delay, but c'mon, we only play 78 games there this year. We play 84 on the road, with many of them at Philly, Atlanta and the Mets. WTF is wrong that poor Mike will never get his due nationally ? He should be a bigger star than Heyward, yet many fans don't even know who he is. I think he'd be a natural in the HR hitting contest, but can he get enough votes to get voted into the All-Star Game ? Isn't it a requirement to be in the HR contest ?

exactly not at our place But why can't we get some nationally televised games on the road?

The marlins are 13th last year in road attendance. I know real baseball fans know our home attendace sucks but we always got young entertaining talent on our team.

Idk how much of this is because we play at cbp quiet a few times but it can't bring up our average that much. Show's fans out there do like watching the marlins

http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance/_/year/2010/sort/awayAvg

Being 13th in road attendance is an interesting point, but I suspect it doesn't cut much ice because the range from worst to first in only ~8,600 tickets. Even the absolute worst averages about 75% of the best, so there's just not enough variation for it to mean much.

But, there is no good reason for them to be totally ignored. Putting an extraordinary group of young players like Stanton, LoMo, Cogs, Gaby and Dominguez on the field with Hanley, quality starters and a quality BP is more than most teams getting TV time are doing.

If they perform, it will be impossible to ignore them later in the season when the national TV schedule gets, what shall we say, a bit more "flexible."

:lol

And the Rays probably have 20 national TV games just because they play the Yankees and Red Sox.:mad

It's not "just because", but you have a mini point. Part of the reason is because they have been a play off team.

Weren't they getting some nationally televised games against the Yankees and Red Sox before they were a playoff team?

It's a good point, but I really have no idea of the answer. I kinda doubt they did at home games, but possibly on the road.

All said and done, I could care in the least if we have any nationally televised games scheduled.