Anibal struck by line drive during Thursday's start

Hammerhead

JUPITER, Fla. -- The ice wrapped around his arm was the standard post-appearance treatment given to pitchers. It was the large ice wrap around his right shin that was of more concern to Anibal Sanchez and the Marlins.

Sanchez took a comebacker off the shin in the second inning of his start against the Mets on Thursday, causing soreness and swelling that lingered for the rest of his 3 2/3 innings of work. After coming out of Florida's 9-4 loss in the fourth, Sanchez said he will be re-evaluated Friday to see the extent of the injury.

Russ Adams smacked the sinkerball that went on to strike Sanchez's shin and roll away for an RBI single with one out in the second.

"It hit me on the side of the shin," Sanchez said. "It really hurt. It's painful at the moment."

Sanchez said he was not expecting any X-rays to be taken of the shin. This appeared to be only a bruise -- but a painful one, for sure.

"The ball [was] coming really, really hard," Sanchez said. "I threw a sinker away and it got hit really, really hard."

The key to Sanchez's strong 2010, in which he went 13-12 with a 3.55 ERA in 32 starts, was that it was the first injury-free season of his career. So the comebacker was not a welcome development, though Sanchez was nonetheless able to get all of his work in. He threw 64 pitches while allowing three runs on five hits with two walks and four strikeouts.

As a precaution after the outing, Sanchez did not partake in his usual running drills. He instead headed to the trainer's room for treatment.

"Right now, it's sore," he said. "It's a lot of inflammation right there. I have to wait [and see]. Three times I'll ice it today, and see how it comes [Friday]."

http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110310&content_id=16891764&notebook_id=16896284&vkey=notebook_fla&c_id=fla

Uh oh.

Update from Frisaro:

Veteran Wes Helms, who made the trip to Port St. Lucie on Friday, was scratched due to a sore right shoulder.

Helms initially was scheduled to play third base and hit fifth. He was replaced by Ruben Gotay.

Also before the game, manager Edwin Rodriguez noted that the team would know more on Sunday if Anibal Sanchez will make his next start.

Sanchez suffered a bruise to the side of his right shin after he was hit with a comeback liner on Thursday afternoon.

http://joefrisaro.mlblogs.com/archives/2011/03/helm_resting_sore_shoulder.html

so for the first time in years the team seems really f***ing good. and now we have to deal with a spring training injury threat to a key player every other f***ing day. please just shut down the regulars.

Yea, I know. I hope Helms' elbow doesn't turn out to be something scary.

so for the first time in years the team seems really f***ing good. and now we have to deal with a spring training injury threat to a key player every other f***ing day. please just shut down the regulars.

Yea, I know. I hope Helms' elbow doesn't turn out to be something scary.

obviously no one gives a flying f*** about Helms... but Ricky, Stanton, Sanabia, Anibal off the top of my head are kinda important