4/8 Post Game

gizmo

I'm surprised at Ricky pitching more to contact this year, and K'ing less hitters. I don't know if his success will hold up, doing that.

2 starts. you're suggesting it's deliberate?

Well, it's just that his stuff doesn't seem that great anymore. Also, it seems like he uses his slider more these days and has basically abandoned his curveball. Haven't really checked, but based on observation, that's what it seems like.

By the way, on that Hanley play...Infante showed some pretty damn good range, and I don't think Uggla would've come close to that ball. For what it's worth. I'm not thrilled with Infante's offense, but I love his defense. Solid range and he makes all the routine plays, as well. Perry Hill must love him.

Always good to be over .500

Nice job with the game recap articles, btw. :thumbup

I liked the recap til I saw the no TV bit. I had no idea

Yeah, they're showing the irrelevant Panthers finale.

...And I say that as a Panthers fan. :(

So, back on that whole closer debate. I know Leo isn't the best in the pen, but there's nothing wrong with the HR he gave up. He came into the game with a 2-run cushion. I dont care if he gives up runs every single time he comes in the game. The only stat that I care about for Leo is saves and blown saves. That's it. It's the only relevant stat for a closer over the long run.

He's not an amazing closer, no. But he's still a closer.

So, back on that whole closer debate. I know Leo isn't the best in the pen, but there's nothing wrong with the HR he gave up. He came into the game with a 2-run cushion. I dont care if he gives up runs every single time he comes in the game. The only stat that I care about for Leo is saves and blown saves. That's it. It's the only relevant stat for a closer over the long run.

Didn't we have this same argument about Lindstrom? Like when he would come in with a 5-run lead and only give up 4 runs.

Didn't we have this same argument about Lindstrom? Like when he would come in with a 5-run lead and only give up 4 runs.

We as in you and I?

Lindstrom spiraled into a heap of trash.

Consistently pitching to the situation doesn't exist.

I'm not going to mention Lindstrom because Leo is simply just a better pitcher, but Sirspud brings up a great example. Lindstrom, a couple years ago, was saving like 90% of the games after 20 opportunities despite having a God awful ERA/WHIP.

Point is, the other stats matter.

If your WHIP, ERA, etc. are high as a closer, you'll end up with plenty of blown saves by the end of the year.

I'm not going to mention Lindstrom because Leo is simply just a better pitcher, but Sirspud brings up a great example. Lindstrom, a couple years ago, was saving like 90% of the games after 20 opportunities despite having a God awful ERA/WHIP.

If your WHIP, ERA, etc. are high as a closer, you'll end up with plenty of blown saves by the end of the year.

Of course stats are indicative. My point is that he's allowed to let that run up though. The minute he starts blowing saves, it becomes a real issue. It's not an issue right now. Nobody should be complaining about Nunez being a bad closer if he's currently perfect in saves so far.

Of course stats are indicative. My point is that he's allowed to let that run up though. The minute he starts blowing saves, it becomes a real issue. It's not an issue right now. Nobody should be complaining about Nunez being a bad closer if he's currently perfect in saves so far.

He's had 2 save opportunities...

He definitely warrants criticism. He wasn't good last year, he wasn't good the year before and he's already flirting with disaster in 3 of his 5 games. I don't care if he's 2 for 2 in saves.. you can't honestly say you feel confident when he goes in the game.

Right.

You're not following what I'm saying. People are calling for his head because he gave up a run.

He's 2/2 in save opportunities so far. He's done nothing to warrant such calls.

I don't think people are calling for his head, for that reason...

I'm watching this game now because I couldn't watch it earlier. What a painful play that failed squeeze attempt was to watch.... geez.

Emilio struck again....but amazingly he sort-of redeemed himself by striking with the exact same defensive play he had made a couple games ago. Somebody didn't pay attention to the scouting report.

Right.

You're not following what I'm saying. People are calling for his head because he gave up a run.

They were, because they were scared he was going to blow the game.

All I'm saying is it's a new season, and Leo can pitch. He just needs to put things together.

Right.

They were, because they were scared he was going to blow the game.

All I'm saying is it's a new season, and Leo can pitch. He just needs to put things together.

He needs to forget about the slider

Right.

I dont care if he gives up runs every single time he comes in the game.

I started hating Leo ever since that Phillies series two years ago when he kept getting lit up by them. Earlier you said you didn't care if Leo came in and gave up a run every time he came in...is that acceptable every time he is brought in with a 1 run lead or a tie ballgame?