Where should Infante hit in the lineup?

Trey05Marlins

I think you're reading into two week stats a little too much.

As are people saying he needs to be moved down in the lineup, he's unquestionably going to see better pitches where he's at because until he shows he can hit pitchers are going to make him beat them rather then risk giving him a free base with the meat of our lineup coming behind him. Right now this is the best spot for him to be in if we want to get his bat going.

My point is I don't want to be in the same situation we were in a few years back when we stuck with Bonafacio in the everyday lineup until July which cost us a good shot at the playoffs. If Infante shows us he can hit, then great no problems we all move on. But he has to show us because he doesn't have the pedigree to give him the benefit of the doubt, he had a career year last year but everything else hasn't been terribly far off what we're seeing now. We're stuck at 3B and C if they continue on how I'm expecting them to continue on, if we can shore up 2B if Infante doesn't improve then we need to do it and quickly.

I'm not basing my statements on this year's stats so far.

I'm saying to move him down in the lineup because he is not a better hitter than Logan Morrison or Gaby Sanchez, and he will never be a better hitter than Logan Morrison or Gaby Sanchez. It has very little to do with this year's two week stats. It's just stupidity; fairly close to what the Braves are doing batting McLouth 2nd and Heyward 6th.

I'm saying to move him down in the lineup because he is not a better hitter than Logan Morrison or Gaby Sanchez, and he will never be a better hitter than Logan Morrison or Gaby Sanchez. It has very little to do with this year's two week stats. It's just stupidity; fairly close to what the Braves are doing batting McLouth 2nd and Heyward 6th.

Eh, I'm fine with him in the 2 hole even though the are better hitters behind him. I believe in putting people where they have the best chance to succeed rather then bumping them up because they succeed. LoMo and Gaby are good enough hitters to succeed anywhere you put them, Infante not so much. He doesn't walk a whole lot nor does he really K at a high rate which means he makes contact with the ball at a very good frequency so he needs to see good pitches as often as possible and hitting in front of Hanley/Stanton/Morrison while give him that much more then hitting in front of Buck/Murphy/Pitcher would.

Eh, I'm fine with him in the 2 hole even though the are better hitters behind him. I believe in putting people where they have the best chance to succeed rather then bumping them up because they succeed. LoMo and Gaby are good enough hitters to succeed anywhere you put them, Infante not so much. He doesn't walk a whole lot nor does he really K at a high rate which means he makes contact with the ball at a very good frequency so he needs to see good pitches as often as possible and hitting in front of Hanley/Stanton/Morrison while give him that much more then hitting in front of Buck/Murphy/Pitcher would.

But you're thinking in a vacuum: if hitting in the 2-hole would "help" Infante, wouldn't it help Morrison or Sanchez, too?

Your point about him possibly benefiting more than those other guys from being in the 2-hole is interesting, but they both figure to get on base more, and that has huge value with Hanley/Stanton hitting behind the 2-hole, as well.

But you're thinking in a vacuum: if hitting in the 2-hole would "help" Infante, wouldn't it help Morrison or Sanchez, too?

Your point about him possibly benefiting more than those other guys from being in the 2-hole is interesting, but they both figure to get on base more, and that has huge value with Hanley/Stanton hitting behind the 2-hole, as well.

For the first part, it may but not as much as it would help Infante. Like I said, he is the kind of hitter who needs every edge he can get and needs to be played to his strengths just to be competent at the plate. LoMo and Gaby will be effective no matter where you stick them in the lineup, Infante though doesn't walk or K a whole lot, he likes to make contant and we want him where he'll see the most amount of good pitches to swing at. To me that's right where he is.

Second part, I don't know how much benefit you'd actually see bumping up either of those two. You may get two or three added runs a week but you also do thin out the lineup more then it is, essentially making it a easy 1-2-3 inning every 2 to 3 innings and risk stranding at an increased rate any of our 3-5 hitters who get on base with Infante/Buck/Murphy/Pitcher being the bottom four. As is now our quality is a little more spread with Morrison in the 6 spot and as bad as he's been I do think Infante will hit better where he is then in the bottom of the lineup.

Reality is if we want to see the playoffs though Buck needs to see some serious improvement (.608 OPS isn't going to cut it) and we need to get a real bat at either 2B or 3B (Preferably 3B, doesn't look like Matt will be ready this year at all so a 3 month rental would be great). Even with Hanley, Stanton, Cogs, and Morrison firing on all cylinders I just don't see this team having enough offense as is, especially with my concerns for our starters minus JJ and to a lesser extent Ricky. Moving Infante down in the lineup isn't going to accomplish jack in the long run. As a team we've got a .329 OPB and a .392 slugging which is absolutely pathetic and the fact we're still 8-6 is unbelievable, (Thank God for an awesoeme bullpen, hopefully we don't burn it out).

There's been a very select few in baseball's long, LONG history whose defense was so solid what they did at the plate was irrelevant and Omar Infante isn't even ten lists down from from that list. If his bats not doing something then he's useless and right now his bats not doing something. Stupid comment by Edwin.

Considering that's not a direct quote, it's probably not even what Edwin really said.

Maybe not his exact words but it's got to be in the same ballpark I'd think, can't imagine stretching something to that point. Of course it is the media so who the hells knows.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.