Marlins considering run at DeRosa

As a whole, Greg Dobbs, Donnie Murphy, Emilio Bonifacio, and Wes Helms are hitting .286/.353/.416 on the season while manning third base for the Marlins.

as a platoon actually I'd take those numbers. May not be able to keep it up but...

Perhaps they can if they're played to their strengths. If you put Dobbs in against righties, and Helms and Bonifacio in against lefties, they may be able to keep this up.

Giants' DeRosa headed to DL

San Francisco Giants utilityman Mark DeRosa(notes) had surgery on his left wrist last July and watched his team win a World Series without him. Now he has "lingering discomfort" in the wrist and is headed to the disabled list, according to MLB.com.

"It's had its good days and bad days since the start of spring," DeRosa said of his wrist, the site reports. "The thing I'm looking for is not to have so many everyday flips of the coin, like it's going to be a good day or a bad day. I'm looking for a little bit more consistency."

The 36-year-old, who has played for six teams since entering the league in 1998, has "inflammation in the cartilage surrounding the repaired area," the site reports.

This season, he is batting .333 in 11 games.

I think it might be out of the question now, definitely. The last we need is someone who's trying to shake off a recent injury.

The reason a guy like DeRosa would be attractive is because of the numerous injuries to this team. We're looking at possibly losing Coghlan to the DL, even if they aren't talking about it directly. DeRosa is another super utility guy who can play corner infield and corner outfield positions. This means they could send either Murphy or Cousins to the minor leagues where they belong (Bonifacio slides to center field and DeRosa in left with Morrison out).

But its a moot point with him being injured.

As I said in the other thread, my hope is the Marlins make a play for Casey Blake. There are a number of things that make this trade attractive and probably doable.

- He is in his contract year and not likely to be extended by the Dodgers given his age.

- The Dodgers are likely to be sellers at some point this season given their struggles on and off the field.

- He is both a defensive and offensive upgrade over any option the Marlins currently have at third base.

This trade makes too much sense if the Marlins are going to make a real run.

*Just going to add I know he just went to the DL with a staph infection. However, he'll recover from this by late May - early June and should be back in form after awhile. His problems and his contract should make him a good buy low candidate.