2011 NFL Draft Thread

dim

With the draft tomorrow, I'll make some opinions now before it's too late (so in a few years I can look back and laugh how stupid my comments are).

-If we can, trade back with the Steelers/Eagles/Chargers, just a must.

-If we can't, take Ingram or Pouncey and call it a day. Ingram is a riskier pick than Pouncey, but I think both players will be really good NFL players. Pouncey will be an All Pro guard in the NFL. If any team tries to put him at center, they will learn how stupid they are.

-If we can trade back, using the second round pick on offense is a must. With the depth (not necessarily good depth) at the QB position this year, we most likely need to take a QB in that 2nd round. Kaepernick makes all the sense in the world. I don't like Ryan Mallet, but if we get a late second round pick and he's there, you might just have to take the risk. We've wasted enough second rounders, why not take a chance on another? I think Kaepernick, if properly brought along, can become the best QB in this entire draft class (Although I'm still REALLY wary of taking any QB high this year). I like Ponder, and think he can have a best case scenario can become Matt Cassell with a somewhat weaker arm. Still, I'd pass on him, just because we need to find a long term solution, not just a pretty good player. There aren't really any standout QB prospects this year that scream home run like Sam Bradford did for me last year, and Andrew Luck would've done if he came out.

-If Leonard Hankerson somehow falls to the third round, take him and run away happy. Unlike a lot of other people, I really do like DeMarco Murray. I've watched him play, and I think he's got some Reggie Bush in him. He might be an injury risk, but I'm still enamored by what I saw from him freshman and sophomore seasons at Oklahoma. I just feel like ignoring that his ypc numbers have gone down every year since. If Titus Young falls to us, I'd take him over Hankerson. He's a deep threat. I didn't watch him a lot, but the few games I saw him, he seemed to always get by his defender. The WR class is probably one of the most intriguing thing about this years draft.

-If we don't take Pouncey, John Moffitt in the third/fourth round is great value. He's no John Jerry, he can really block. He'll be a starter right off the bat, and a good one at that. I see him as a first round value. I like Greg Salas at WR, but I don't think he fits the Dolphins needs. Will be a good pick for another team (probably the Patriots because they always draft the guys I like). Continuing the WR trend, Austin Pettis is another nice WR prospect. Jordan Shipley like.

-5th round, DJ Williams is a nice prospect. Nothing outstanding, but solid nonetheless. DE/OLB Ricky Elmore is a player who isn't getting nearly the national attention that he should. 10 sacks in 2009, 11 sacks in 2010. He should be a late 1st, early 2nd round pick, yet is slated for the 5th/6th round, because HE'S TOO SMALL.

http://wildcat.arizo...lmore-1.2209140

I'd like to take this guy in the 3rd round just to make sure no other team does something smart like draft him. Can't believe this guy has slipped through the cracks. My ultimate sleeper this season is Ricky Elmore. The last LB who was taken in by the Dolphins with a chip on his shoulder was Cameron Wake, and we all know how that turned out.

If we haven't taken a QB by the 5th round, we've gotta take McElroy or TJ Yates simply for depth purposes. If he's still available, I like FB Owen Marecic with this pick. This kid can run (just like Polite) and he's a team leader, making him all the more appealing to the Dolphins.

Come 7th round, I'd think of taking guys like WR Aldrick Robinson, RB Noel Devine, LB Mark Herzlich (I think his determination makes him at least a 5th rounder alone), QB Nathan Enderle, and whoever is the best center available at the time.

I agree with Ricky Elmore, he's a sack machine that for some reason nobody talks about. Another DE that I really like is Jeremy Beal, he wrecks havoc in the backfield and is a very well-rounded player.

I think Rob Housler is going to be the best TE in this draft. Everyone is in love with Kyle Rudolph because of his measureables but he never produced on the field and is injury prone. Housler is 6'5" with the speed to stretch the field, he's going to be a matchup nightmare in the NFL if he lands on a team that gives him a chance.

My deep sleeper is Kentucky QB Mike Hartline. This guy is 6'6" and had a 66.2 completetion % to go along with 3,178 passing yards. Could be a nice late round project for some team.

I like Mallet but if the Dolphins draft him 15th overall I am going to lose my mind. He has talent but I wouldn't use a mid first rounder on him.

At 15, I want Mallet if he's available. I don't want to trade down and pick him as it's too risky. If he isn't available, then a trade down seems like the best possible choice if we can. I'm almost sure we will address the offensive line, specifically the LG position. Danny Watkins could be the pick if we trade down. If they want to address the QB position, they could pick Ponder.

At 15, I want Mallet if he's available. I don't want to trade down and pick him as it's too risky. If he isn't available, then a trade down seems like the best possible choice if we can. I'm almost sure we will address the offensive line, specifically the LG position. Danny Watkins could be the pick if we trade down. If they want to address the QB position, they could pick Ponder.

I think they'd be able to get him late in the first. If for some reason they trade back to pick up a second rounder and Mallet is gone I would be fine with Andy Dalton.

Out of Gabbert, Newton, Locker, Mallet, Dalton the only one I wouldn't come close to taking in the first round is Locker. I don't see why everyone is in love with him. He's horribly inaccurate and his running ability is overrated. He ran for 385 yards last season on 3.4 ypc, Vick he's not. Can't believe he would have gone #1 overall last year.

I think they'd be able to get him late in the first. If for some reason they trade back to pick up a second rounder and Mallet is gone I would be fine with Andy Dalton.

Out of Gabbert, Newton, Locker, Mallet, Dalton the only one I wouldn't come close to taking in the first round is Locker. I don't see why everyone is in love with him. He's horribly inaccurate and his running ability is overrated. He ran for 385 yards last season on 3.4 ypc, Vick he's not. Can't believe he would have gone #1 overall last year.

I agree, Locker will be a horrible choice. The only reason he was projected to be number one overall is because Todd Mcshay was hyping him up.