Anibal Sanchez

LordMagnus

You guys do realize that it's not absolutely necessary to start talking contract with many of the guys mentioned in this thread, right? Especially Stanton, LoMo, etc. That's still a long ways away.

I agree. I think it's just the excitement of having so many young players to sign long term that has everyone mentioning Morrison Stanton, etc. This is quite the roster we have in Miami.

LordMagnus you always have negative things to say, gosh! :p

I quite honestly wanted talks with Sanchez to start before Ricky. Not that Ricky has been disappointing, at all!

We only have good problems right now, it's great!

If we sign them now to 6 or 7 year deals (Lomo and Stanton), wouldnt that be saving money in the long run anyway? I honestly dont know

The front office has an interesting situation ahead of them. I'd say that currently our core is made up of 7 players: Hanley, LoMo, Gaby, Stanton, JJ, Ricky and Anibal.

Of those 7, 3 of them are signed to contracts buying out FA years. The decision is what to do with the other 4. You can say that this decision is a long way away. But every HR Stanton hits makes it more difficult/ expensive to sign him long term later on. Signing future stars early on leads to incredible savings. The best examples of this are the Longoria and Braun(1st contract) contracts. It's going to be interesting to see what decisions are made in the next couple of months and how they affect the future of the team in the next 3-5 years.

The front office has an interesting situation ahead of them. I'd say that currently our core is made up of 7 players: Hanley, LoMo, Gaby, Stanton, JJ, Ricky and Anibal.

Of those 7, 3 of them are signed to contracts buying out FA years. The decision is what to do with the other 4. You can say that this decision is a long way away. But every HR Stanton hits makes it more difficult/ expensive to sign him long term later on. Signing future stars early on leads to incredible savings. The best examples of this are the Longoria and Braun(1st contract) contracts. It's going to be interesting to see what decisions are made in the next couple of months and how they affect the future of the team in the next 3-5 years.

I don't think Gaby is a part of the "core." Unless these current #'s he's putting up are legit for the rest of the season which would make him an option.

I'd say that Coghlan is a bigger part of the core than Gaby, considering the organization has no CF depth.

I like Gaby, but he's a bit older (27) than these other guys in the core of hitters; he's also realistically just a 1B who's put up non-spectacular career #'s in comparison to other 1B around baseball.

It's possible that he's just become a better hitter and he's now going to be a .900 .OPS bat, but I think it's premature to think that his #'s (specifically against righties) will be this good all year.

I don't think Gaby is a part of the "core." Unless these current #'s he's putting up are legit for the rest of the season which would make him an option.

I'd say that Coghlan is a bigger part of the core than Gaby, considering the organization has no CF depth.

I like Gaby, but he's a bit older (27) than these other guys in the core of hitters; he's also realistically just a 1B who's put up non-spectacular career #'s in comparison to other 1B around baseball.

It's possible that he's just become a better hitter and he's now going to be a .900 .OPS bat, but I think it's premature to think that his #'s (specifically against righties) will be this good all year.

This is right, but, man, this guy has been really impressive at the plate. It wouldn't completely stun me if became an .825-.850 OPS bat; .900 OPS would be pretty astonishing, though.

I'm still really suprised at how much better Anibal has gotten at striking out batters.

66 in 65.2 innings so far this year, whereas last year he managed only 157 in 195 innings.

Yep, and his walks are the lowest they've been, and he's throwing all his pitchers faster.

So is Anibal's nickname officially "The Animal"? Anibal the Animal...do people like that or dislike it? Yes I know, a silly question..just curious what you guys think

Animal-bal.

Aniballs sanchez. COJONES GRANDE!

:thumbup

did i just read over it, but someone should mention coghlan as part of the core... he did win rookie of the year 2 years ago...

2 years ago is key. He needs to repeat or come close to that production in order to be taken seriously.

Lets not forget Jeremy Hermida.

He's been pretty good for a while. He's has a 3.60 ERA career wise and has had a 3.21 ERA since he came back from his injury in 2009. His only bad seasons were the two injury shortened seasons of '07 and '08.

Anibal's problem has never been lack of talent or results. It's been injuries.

So I wouldn't be so quick to dish out a long term contract. Anibal is the type of pitcher that we should keep 1-2 years at a time. Possibly a 3 year extension if it's a team friendly deal.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.