At what point does benching Buck for Hayes become an option?

Caddy

Not that Buck has been terrible (although he certainly isn't living up to the contract), but it seems like Hayes keeps getting hits, even in a bench role. I know we have money tied up to Buck, but when can we seriously consider putting Hayes in the starting lineup?

Not that Buck has been terrible (although he certainly isn't living up to the contract), but it seems like Hayes keeps getting hits, even in a bench role. I know we have money tied up to Buck, but when can we seriously consider putting Hayes in the starting lineup?

I really think this a case where the Marlins took the bate because of one good season, He has averaged a .242 BA with 10 Home Runs per year, I mean he is a catcher but idk, not too thrilled with the signing, idk if it was necessary.

Baker and Hayes.

I wouldn't mind seeing Hayes get a few more starts here and there, but we're not paying Buck to sit the bench. He hasn't played poorly enough to warrant being a part-time player at this point.

I don't want to agree with this but considering his career stats he really isn't performing much less than what is per normal from him, still a reach signing, FO trying to prove they aren't messing around or maybe they thought they would get lucky, idk.

Yep, Hayes has played 1B, 2B, SS and LF in the minors. And he has played 2 innings at first in the majors during 09.

Is this super secret or something? I've never heard about him playing multiple positions. Even from Rich and Tommy.

He did not played that much at other positions but he has been there. Maybe they can try to give Gaby a day off and start Hayes at first.

It's more like... when does Brett Hayes learn to play more positions?

I believe one of the reasons Hayes made the team over Davis was due to his versatility.

Hayes can play other positions.

Well then... start using him!

Maybe they will once Baker comes back.

For what it's worth, all the pitchers have loved throwing to Buck, or so they've said.

That's a really important factor. I've heard alot about that...still, I wish he'd throwout more people at second, but I really like Buck. I think he's working out well.

Yep, Hayes has played 1B, 2B, SS and LF in the minors. And he has played 2 innings at first in the majors during 09.

Is this super secret or something? I've never heard about him playing multiple positions. Even from Rich and Tommy.

Vin Scully mentioned it during the tv game tonight..err yesterday. Something like he can play multiple positions and was on Team USA 2 years ago...where he play 6 or 7 different positions...

I have no idea why people would count on John Baker for anything. I was marginal at best...and certainly just as bad if not worse defensively than Buck.

A career .287/.368/.423 hitter against right-handed pitching is not "marginal at best."

That's much more like a massive upgrade to our bench.

I'm under the assumption that if and when Baker comes back, he will be the odd catcher out, not Hayes.

Which is what I have been thinking all season. There are a couple teams out there that could use a back up catcher (San Fran for instance), and in a very recent article Samson has out right said they are looking at different trade opportunities to maybe bolster a weak point or two. No names were mentioned, but our catcher position isn't really a weak point and Baker may bring some help. I think the only reason we would see him in a Marlins uni is to show other teams he is healthy enough to handle MLB again.

I'm under the assumption that if and when Baker comes back, he will be the odd catcher out, not Hayes.

Which is what I have been thinking all season. There are a couple teams out there that could use a back up catcher (San Fran for instance), and in a very recent article Samson has out right said they are looking at different trade opportunities to maybe bolster a weak point or two. No names were mentioned, but our catcher position isn't really a weak point and Baker may bring some help. I think the only reason we would see him in a Marlins uni is to show other teams he is healthy enough to handle MLB again.

:lol

Yeh cause that will work. One of our players breaks the leg of their catcher, who happens to be one of the faces of their franchise, and a few weeks later we call up to negotiate a trade for our #3 catcher.

It's more like... when does Brett Hayes learn to play more positions?

I believe one of the reasons Hayes made the team over Davis was due to his versatility.

Hayes can play other positions.

Well then... start using him!

I'm pretty sure when Baker comes back, Hayes will get to enjoy the food in NOLA again.

I agree with Hayes getting a few more AB's give Gaby a day or whatever, but he's a sub and hasn't really seen enough MLB pitching to be an everyday starter, afterall he did hit .208 last season

:lol

Yeh cause that will work. One of our players breaks the leg of their catcher, who happens to be one of the faces of their franchise, and a few weeks later we call up to negotiate a trade for our #3 catcher.

Actually, I just threw San Fran out there as an example, as per the "for instance." And I still don't see why anyone would think it would be an outrageous thing. Certainly not laughable. What was outrageous was some thinking they would throw at us the next game. Everyone pretty much agrees it wasn't some type of cheap shot, as evidenced from them by not throwing at us. They need a back up catcher, we have one. But I do agree they be the ones to make the first call. But for a different reason. It's their need, not ours. Question would be, do they have a missing part of our puzzle to give in return? Or, another question, could they find a better deal and/or catcher someplace else? This is MLB. And I don't think MLB teams go with a grade school mentality like that.

I think all three catchers will be on the team.

Buck will be the starting catcher.

Hayes will be the backup capable of playing other positions.

Baker will be the lefty bat off the bench/emergency catcher. With Dobbs starting, we need a lefty bat off the bench. Scott Cousins isn't getting the job done right now.

I don't see why all three can't be on the team.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.