Mike Stanton for Home Run Derby Participant

dim

If he gets on the roster, I'd say it's likely that he gets into the derby.

With Johnson hurt right now, I think that it should be between Gaby and Stanton for the role of Marlins' representative. If Stanton manages to stay near the top of the league in home runs, it should be him over Gaby. Remember that Stanton's OPS is higher right now due to his power.

I really doubt either gets voted in. And I also doubt Bochy picks either one. AS managers have a habit of picking their own players as a thank you for what they did the previous season. I think the Marlins rep will be a pitcher. If JJ is back before the ASB, it could very well be him. He may not see action, but he may make the team. I really don't see Bochy filling out his roster just so a certain player can compete in the HR Derby. And basically that is what he would be doing.

With Johnson hurt right now, I think that it should be between Gaby and Stanton for the role of Marlins' representative. If Stanton manages to stay near the top of the league in home runs, it should be him over Gaby. Remember that Stanton's OPS is higher right now due to his power.

I really doubt either gets voted in. And I also doubt Bochy picks either one. AS managers have a habit of picking their own players as a thank you for what they did the previous season. I think the Marlins rep will be a pitcher. If JJ is back before the ASB, it could very well be him. He may not see action, but he may make the team. I really don't see Bochy filling out his roster just so a certain player can compete in the HR Derby. And basically that is what he would be doing.

Stanton has more than earned it on his own. He's an excellent fielder, and his hitting stats are Top 10 in the league overall, let alone among RFers. That would only be what Bochy is doing if he's not picking legitimately based on merit.

Stanton has more than earned it on his own. He's an excellent fielder, and his hitting stats are Top 10 in the league overall, let alone among RFers. That would only be what Bochy is doing if he's not picking legitimately based on merit.

The All-Star game is usually based on how good a fielder is? :blink:

Right now the Marlins candidates for all-star game inclusion are Leo, Stanton and Morrison. As much as I'd like Gaby to be included he's in a loooong line of firstbaseman to even be thought of.

Another thought is I doubt very seriously that Bochy is going to include more than the one Marlin he's required, but I sure hope he picks Cousins

Don't forget Nunez went 18-18.

Stanton’s power numbers

Mike Stanton had a day to forget Sunday, popping out three times, striking out twice and standing runners in scoring position in each of his five at-bats.

But the first 160 games of his career have been among the most prolific when it comes to power numbers in baseball history. Entering Sunday, Stanton was hitting .260 with 38 home runs, 98 RBI and 184 strikeouts.

According to the Elias Sports Bureau, only eight players to debut since 1910 have hit more homers over their first 160 games. Rudy York had 54; Mark McGwire, 49; Ryan Braun, 47; Chuck Klein, 44; Ryan Howard, 43; Bob Horner, 42; Tony Clark, 40; and Frank Robinson, 39.

Three others have hit 38: Josh Hamilton, Evan Longoria and Wally Berger.

Stanton, who is fourth in the National League with 16 home runs, had homered in three consecutive games for the third time in his career entering Sunday. He estimates that of his 16 homers this season he thinks he has hit only about “six to seven with good wood.’’

“It’s just ridiculous, man,’’ Logan Morrison said of Stanton’s power. “The guy hit 16 home runs, and he’s hardly hit any of them good.’’

Morrison told the 21-year-old slugger Sunday that if he gets invited to next month’s Home Run Derby in Arizona he has to wear a cape.

And not just any cape. “A Superman cape,’’ Morrison told Stanton. “You can go as Superman, and I’ll go as Wonder Woman.’’

“Yeah, but you have to wear the short shorts,’’ Stanton responded.

You do realize you are aguing with the wrong person. Send this off to Bochy.

Personally, I would love to see Stanton in there because he does have the swing to do well in the HRB. But Bochy will most likely pick the best OFer to round out his team, and not really the better RFer. And there alot of very good OFers to choose from. They may not be able to let loose with the bombs like Mikey, but they are far better in situational hitting. Besides, I doubt Bochy cares too much about the viewing pleasures of South Florida fans.

I stick with my prediction that it will be a pitcher. Noone else. And that will give SoFla fans something to whine about for months to come. "He didn't pick Stanton because of the Posey incident."

JJ will probably get on the team if he gets back soon. Then Bochy will probably choose some utility type player who is having a nice year to round out the team.

Then again they said Stanton put on quite the show in San Fran during BP. Maybe he does make it.

Stanton’s power numbers

Mike Stanton had a day to forget Sunday, popping out three times, striking out twice and standing runners in scoring position in each of his five at-bats.

But the first 160 games of his career have been among the most prolific when it comes to power numbers in baseball history. Entering Sunday, Stanton was hitting .260 with 38 home runs, 98 RBI and 184 strikeouts.

According to the Elias Sports Bureau, only eight players to debut since 1910 have hit more homers over their first 160 games. Rudy York had 54; Mark McGwire, 49; Ryan Braun, 47; Chuck Klein, 44; Ryan Howard, 43; Bob Horner, 42; Tony Clark, 40; and Frank Robinson, 39.

Three others have hit 38: Josh Hamilton, Evan Longoria and Wally Berger.

Stanton, who is fourth in the National League with 16 home runs, had homered in three consecutive games for the third time in his career entering Sunday. He estimates that of his 16 homers this season he thinks he has hit only about “six to seven with good wood.’’

“It’s just ridiculous, man,’’ Logan Morrison said of Stanton’s power. “The guy hit 16 home runs, and he’s hardly hit any of them good.’’

Morrison told the 21-year-old slugger Sunday that if he gets invited to next month’s Home Run Derby in Arizona he has to wear a cape.

And not just any cape. “A Superman cape,’’ Morrison told Stanton. “You can go as Superman, and I’ll go as Wonder Woman.’’

“Yeah, but you have to wear the short shorts,’’ Stanton responded.

LoMo would as well.......

JJ will probably get on the team if he gets back soon. Then Bochy will probably choose some utility type player who is having a nice year to round out the team.

Then again they said Stanton put on quite the show in San Fran during BP. Maybe he does make it.

Came close to hitting the Coke Bottle in LF.

And I went to San Fran last year and saw a game... sat out in LF as well (though I walked around and stood on the boardwalk a lot of the time too. Absolutely beautiful and cool ballpark)

I would have never thought in a million years that the coke bottle could be reached. It's probably the equivalent of hitting a shot into the orange seats in LF above Club Level (just a guesstimate). Galaragga was the only one to do that at SunLife, right?

I don't think it amounts to much. He's missing a lot of save opportunities now so the rest of the league is catching up. There are also a lot of guys with much lower ERAs.

I think it will be Johnson if he is healthy enough before the break, and then either Gaby or Stanton depending on how they perform over the coming weeks. If they both fail to impress, then it could be Nunez.

It will probably be one of those four though.

I don't think it amounts to much. He's missing a lot of save opportunities now so the rest of the league is catching up. There are also a lot of guys with much lower ERAs.

I think it will be Johnson if he is healthy enough before the break, and then either Gaby or Stanton depending on how they perform over the coming weeks. If they both fail to impress, then it could be Nunez.

He still leads the league in saves.

Gaby isn't going to make it. Pujols will probably get the fan vote, and Votto/Fielder are having better years.

Stanton has a shot. Leo has a shot. Anibal Sanchez also has a shot if he continues to pitch well and can add some more wins; Anibal's been really good this year.

I highly doubt he will be in the top 5 in saves by the time ASG reserves are selected.

1B will be crowded, but so will be outfield.

I do think Johnson will be the priority though, but only if he's healthy. One thing that Anibal has in his favor is that he actually pitches really well against San Francisco the last two seasons.

I highly doubt he will be in the top 5 in saves by the time ASG reserves are selected.

1B will be crowded, but so will be outfield.

I do think Johnson will be the priority though, but only if he's healthy. One thing that Anibal has in his favor is that he actually pitches really well against San Francisco the last two seasons.

Why not? He's currently at the top of the list, and he's coming back tomorrow (supposedly).

Getting saves, in large part, really has to do with the amount of opportunities you get. Unless you think the Marlins are going to continue with their current struggling ways, I don't see why you think he can't remain top five.

Plus, in comparison to those who are near him in saves, he's having a more impressive year (excluding saves) than a lot of those guys.

He still leads the league in saves.

Gaby isn't going to make it. Pujols will probably get the fan vote, and Votto/Fielder are having better years.

Stanton has a shot. Leo has a shot. Anibal Sanchez also has a shot if he continues to pitch well and can add some more wins; Anibal's been really good this year.

I think both those guys have a shot. But if JJ comes back and gets a couple starts in, I do believe he is the lone rep for the team.

Came close to hitting the Coke Bottle in LF.

And I went to San Fran last year and saw a game... sat out in LF as well (though I walked around and stood on the boardwalk a lot of the time too. Absolutely beautiful and cool ballpark)

I would have never thought in a million years that the coke bottle could be reached. It's probably the equivalent of hitting a shot into the orange seats in LF above Club Level (just a guesstimate). Galaragga was the only one to do that at SunLife, right?

No. Quite a few have gone up there over the years. Big Cat's just went the furthest.