Team Colors and New Logo

Hollyberry

Where was Billy? :verysad

Many have wondered, what will happen now to the popular mascot?

"Billy is being recolored," Flynn said.

The new look Billy the Marlin should be around soon.

By recolored does he mean his jersey or are we going to have a rainbow Billy the Marlin now ?

I don't see how you can make a rainbow with these colors.

Where was Billy? :verysad

Many have wondered, what will happen now to the popular mascot?

"Billy is being recolored," Flynn said.

The new look Billy the Marlin should be around soon.

By recolored does he mean his jersey or are we going to have a rainbow Billy the Marlin now ?

I don't see how you can make a rainbow with these colors.

You know what I mean.

Yeah, I'm not surprised. In fact, that's exactly what that dude here said who got fired from the team. Supposedly all of the people in the focus groups wanted teal but Loria wanted to go his own way.

For years on this board (the last 5 years or so) people bitched about the increasing prominence of orange being used in the team's branding (mostly marketing--the website among other things). When everyone realized that teal would be dropped, the mentality seemed to become "as long as orange doesn't become the main color." Ironically that's what we got in the end.

Did fisheatcats mention that (about the focus groups), or was it mentioned in one of those insider articles?

The reason I ask is I don't buy into that notion. I think Loria and Smason are quite shrewd businessmen and I seriously doubt they would jeopardize future revenue by going in this direction if the focus groups overwhemingly told them to keep the teal. Loria is opinionated and stubborn, but he's not stupid. In addition, one could argue you he's been more focused on marketing (what with the Mermaids, Manatees, Super Saturday Concerts, etc.) than putting together a winning ballclub the past couple of years, so I'm betting he would put far more weight on what the focus groups told him than what his employees said.

That being said, I still believe they were looking for a specific demographic in these focus groups (mainly, young males from Miami Dade) as opposed to going after a wider sample size that is more representative of the Marlins' fanbase, and the results were pure confirmation bias. It's not a stretch to say that the Marlins as an orgnaization are going "all in" on the 305'ers, almost to the exclusion of everyone else in or outside of So.FL. They're banking on, rightfully so, the main population center to flock to Marlins games now that the ballpark is in their own back yard. They're looking purely at the potential of the market size, playing a game of numbers. They know they will lose fans from Broward/Dade because of the stadium location and will lose revenue from those who do not like the new merchandise, but they are expecting the new fans and revenue to provide a net gain. As long as the people they're targeting like the new identity, they've won in their minds.

Time will tell if this is the right move or not; as an economist and business consultant, I think it's unwise to go in a direction that is so polarizing and divise amongst your customers. The brand equity the Marlins have built up over 20 years, no matter how small, should be capitalized on, not tossed aside. Then again, I don't live in So.FL and don't fully understand the dynamics down there, so I could be mistaken. What's done is done.

I don't remember exactly what the guy said, but he made a point of saying that there were a lot of people encouraging him to keep his teal, but he went his own way.

However, the error in your logic is that you assume that dropping teal directly results in decreased sales. That isn't necessarily the case. A shrewd businessman can certainly go against fans yearning for teal if he thinks that the new non-teal identity would result in more revenue by helping people forget rain delays, empty orange seats, and firesales. Dropping the teal does make some business sense even though a vocal contingent of fans wanted to keep it.

I absolutely believe that Loria went his own way and it makes a lot of sense.

is there not any secondary logo? because all 3 logos we have are just variations in color.

they seem to use all 3 of those logos interchangeably.

Because they know they messed this up big time, so now they're trying to make it up by playing with the color and seeing what looks better. This happens all the time with sub-par work, trying to change things around and tweaking the designs. At the end of the day they'll realize its all the same and will come down to one thing- crappy execution in design.

I really don't see this logo staying here long term thing like a few people have already suggested. They might have to eat it for a couple of years though, who knows.

is there not any secondary logo? because all 3 logos we have are just variations in color.

The color variations are the different logos. The main logo is actually this one:

Here's a pretty good blog article with all the logo marks; http://colorwerx.blogspot.com/2011/11/miami-marlins-mlb-2012-srgb-optimized.html.

And yes, with the word Miami under it.

Because they know they messed this up big time, so now they're trying to make it up by playing with the color and seeing what looks better. This happens all the time with sub-par work, trying to change things around and tweaking the designs. At the end of the day they'll realize its all the same and will come down to one thing- crappy execution in design.

I really don't see this logo staying here long term thing like a few people have already suggested. They might have to eat it for a couple of years though, who knows.

I honestly find this to be a very silly theory.

There are a few reasons why you would be changing colors in a logo, and not being confident in your design is one of them. I don't see why my theory would be farfetched.

is there not any secondary logo? because all 3 logos we have are just variations in color. they seem to use all 3 of those logos interchangeably.

The color variations are the different logos. The main logo is actually this one: Here's a pretty good blog article with all the logo marks; http://colorwerx.blogspot.com/2011/11/miami-marlins-mlb-2012-srgb-optimized.html. And yes, with the word Miami under it.

yeah thats a good breakdown of the variations. i like the one with the black in the center of the M most but i think some people may think the one with the white center is the main logo as its the one on the hat.

is there not any secondary logo? because all 3 logos we have are just variations in color. they seem to use all 3 of those logos interchangeably.

The color variations are the different logos. The main logo is actually this one: Here's a pretty good blog article with all the logo marks; http://colorwerx.blo...-optimized.html. And yes, with the word Miami under it.

yeah thats a good breakdown of the variations. i like the one with the black in the center of the M most but i think some people may think the one with the white center is the main logo as its the one on the hat.

I'm with you, I like the black one out of all of them the most as well. When they unveiled the official logo thing at the park, the M on the tower display thing was the white on as well.

I don't know why you would say the black one is the 'official' one- you can see how indecisive they are with all of this.

There are a few reasons why you would be changing colors in a logo, and not being confident in your design is one of them. I don't see why my theory would be farfetched.

One of the reasons could be, I don't know, for variety? That's much more likely than "because they know they messed this up".

The color variations are the different logos. The main logo is actually this one:

Here's a pretty good blog article with all the logo marks; http://colorwerx.blo...-optimized.html.

And yes, with the word Miami under it.

I'm not a fan of having a primary logo that does not contain the word MARLINS. And that's putting the aesthetics of the logo itself aside.

Maybe we should just rename the team the Miami Miamians and get it over with.