Marlins Considering Shields

gizmo

No because the best two pitchers in free agency are left-handers. Shields is not a free agent; we'd have to give up assets to get him. It might not even happen. That doesn't mean the Marlins would have no interest because, uh, he's right-handed. You're so close-minded, it's ridiculous. I mean, I guess that's good. When you get open-minded your ideas get even worse. Like "hey, lets put Gaby Sanchez in LF!"

Nice way to take remarks out of context to make yourself look good. And this coming from a guy whose history of judging talent and trades is, shall we say, less than spectacular??

What you call close minded I call looking at the big picture and NOT being a what have you done for me lately

kind of person.

He was speaking in context. You are now out of embarrassment trying to change the context (to try to make yourself look good).

There's also every chance that Volstad doesn't come back, depending on what his arbitration number looks like.

This is a pretty good point. His numbers aren't all that great, he bounces back and forth to the minors, but the powers-that-be seem to really like the guy. Actually, he's one of those underdogs that I pull for with no concrete reasoning behind it.

After tonight's WS game, FA opens up. I think it's going to be a very interesting off season. I just hope the Marlins spend and trade wisely. The Phillys are the team to focus on in our division. Do what it takes to overtake them and their NL leading payroll. Take into account they are looking to upgrade too.

I hate to paraphrase Samson, but..... "We are going to spend more this season, but we still have to spend wisely. We lost 90 games last season. If we lose 90 games next season we just did it with a higher payroll." Sometimes even Tin Boy spins some gold.

I don't think the front office "really likes the guy" (Volstad) much at all. That's why he got sent down this season and that's why their frustrations with him have been made public couple of times this season. They've kept him around because he's been making virtually nothing and the Marlins have desperately needed starters (Johnson injury, Miller bust, etc.). Now that Volstad is in arbitration, that narrative changes.

And you "pull for him" because the rest of the board doesn't like him because he sucks. Just like you have done in the past.

No because the best two pitchers in free agency are left-handers. Shields is not a free agent; we'd have to give up assets to get him. It might not even happen. That doesn't mean the Marlins would have no interest because, uh, he's right-handed. You're so close-minded, it's ridiculous. I mean, I guess that's good. When you get open-minded your ideas get even worse. Like "hey, lets put Gaby Sanchez in LF!"

Nice way to take remarks out of context to make yourself look good. And this coming from a guy whose history of judging talent and trades is, shall we say, less than spectacular??

What you call close minded I call looking at the big picture and NOT being a what have you done for me lately

kind of person.

?????????

kind of person.

He was speaking in context. You are now out of embarrassment trying to change the context (to try to make yourself look good).

Seriously.

This was all about the "I refuse to believe a righty like Shields does anything for us" comment which I lol'd at.

For what it's worth, Shields career #'s have come in the AL East. And even if he goes back to a 4.3 ERA guy or something, a 4.3 ERA guy giving 200+ innings in the rotation definitely improves the current rotation. That version of Shields isn't worth a Logan Morrison type bat, but it would improve the rotation, regardless of whether he's left-handed or right-handed.

This discussion is ridiculous and not surprising, considering who it is saying these things.

lol i posted this trade idea a couple different times on this site a month or so ago on different threads. Living here in Tampa I am very aware about Shields and and being a Marlins fan I also realize how badly they seem to want to get Lomo off the team (without outright saying anything of course) for his "insubordination". I suggest it was a natural match to trade the two guys although yes, it would take more than just Lomo to get Shields. I'm just really hoping Ozzie doesn't want to bring JP back to South Florida since he's done in Chicago.

I refuse to think they see bringing in a righty like Shields does anything for us. lol

Way to ignore the point, which was actually made very clearly and understandable.

We need a top of the line lefty SP in our division more than we need another righty. Shields would be nice, but he dosen't fit our needs. If the Rays want to gobble up some of his payroll so we can still afford that lefty, then fine. If not, then pass. I really doubt we get a top lefty at some kind of discount just because..........Do you?

The point is that your point is stupid. You're arguing that he does nothing for the rotation. He's a .256/.304/.386 line against LHB and a .265/.309/.405 line against RHB. This year, he was .219/.270/.308 vs LHB and .216/.277/.339 vs RHB. With lines like that, who the hell cares what arm he throws with?

Like most are saying, he's not worth overpaying the Rays for with the free agents that are out there but to say he does nothing for a bottom of the barrel rotation that we had this year is just plain stupid.