Marlins top ten prospects

fanofthefish

These are how Baseball America has the Marlins prospects rated: #1 Christian Yelich-OF, # 2 Marcell Ozuna-OF, #3 Jose Fernandez-RHP, #4 Matt Dominguez-3B, #5 J. T. Realmuto-C, # 6 Chad James-LHP, #7 Rob Rasmussen-LHP, #8 Noah Perio-2B, #9 Scott Cousins-OF, #10 Adam Conley-LHP

Kind of a surprise to see Cousins still listed otherwise not too much disagreement on the top-10.

A look ahead to their predicted line-up for 2015

C-Realmuto

1b-Gaby

2b-Perio

ss-Hanley

3b-Dominguez

lf-LoMo

cf-Yelich

rf-Stanton

Starting rotation

# 1 JJ, #2 Ricky, #3 Anibal, #4 Fernandez, # 5 James

Closer Hatcher

There's lots more covered just go to the Baseball America site this part is free!

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/rankings/organization-top-10-prospects/2012/2612559.html

There has to be a good reason as to why he's not in the top 10.

I can't think of one. He's only 21, he had a good year in AA (11-4, 3.40 ERA, 1.288 WHIP). He was 6th on the list last year above Cousins, who is 5 years older and spent most of this year injured or playing badly on the Marlins.

He had a better year than Ramussen while being younger and in a higher league (A+ vs AA).

There has to be a good reason as to why he's not in the top 10.

I can't think of one. He's only 21, he had a good year in AA (11-4, 3.40 ERA, 1.288 WHIP). He was 6th on the list last year above Cousins, who is 5 years older and spent most of this year injured or playing badly on the Marlins.

He had a better year than Ramussen while being younger and in a higher league (A+ vs AA).

It does feel like an oversight.

There doesn't seem to be a consensus from the Marlins either, according to their website the following are their top ten prospects:

1.Dominguez, 2. James, 3. Yelich, 4. Skipworth, 5. Ozuna, 6. Koehler, 7. Ceda, 8. Perio, 9. Rasmussen, 10. Realmuto

Not sure why Hand is off either list, but I think he crossed the threshold to be longer considered a rookie.

I'll reserve my own top ten, but if anyone else would like to venture theirs feel free.

• 1 month later...

You lose rookie status at 50 innings pitched/45 days active roster, Hand pitched more than that. Ceda doesn't qualify either.

I'd rank them

1. Yelich A- - Projectable future above average left fielder. Average, power, speed. Marlins did good with him.

2. Fernandez B+ - Projectable power arm 2/3 SP. 4+ years away though

3. Dominguez B- - Average 3B starting potential. Only needs to hit .250 and jack 15 offensively with that defense.

4. James B- - Average # 4 starter potential. There is nothing wrong with that though. Improved in 2011, kind of.

5. Realmuto C+ - Big year in development, could jump huge if keeps it up higher levels. He is low for volatility, not above average starting upside

6. Ozuna C+ - See above, but I have little confidence in him not striking out with higher frequency at higher levels

7. Conley C+ - A very likely plus lefty reliever

8. Rasmussen C - Bullpen potential

9. Perio C - Here mainly because he is super young and has years to grow. Potential is a slap hitter/defensive guy, no power upside but those guys can be valuable.

10. Hope C - Was slotted late 2nd round MLB draft, fell to 5th. Not much else in the farm is exciting but he has a big arm.

The next few would be relievers Reed and Jennings, and still Skipworth, who is still young enough to be a late blooming catcher. He doesn't need to hit much and has raw power, so we can hope.

They need a real strong draft, and it would really help to sign Soler to get this back into an above average farm. The good news is none of this probably graduates to the bigs in 2012 because the team is stacked.

Out of those 10, Matty D has the only shot of appearing with the 2012 club. Which is fine.

Most of our current 25-man team is under team control for at least 3 years, whether it be veteran contracts/extentions or arbitration elligible players. Then if by 2015 some big contracts come off the books (like Bell and Buerhle), but others (like Stanton and LoMo) are making $10M+/yr, some cheap young talent could definitely ease the burden. For the hell of it, here is my 2015 projection.

Josh Johnson

Matt Cain

Jose Fernandez

Chad James

Cheap Veteran #5

C - Realmuto

1B - LoMo

2B - Matty D

SS - Reyes

3B - Hanley

LF - Christian Yelich

CF - Jorge Soler

RF - Mike Stanton

Dominguez at 2nd? His defense is too good at 3rd to move him from there.

I'm not sure it would work either, but it's interesting to think about.

Danny Espinosa hit .236/.323/.414 this year and was pretty average defensively.

Neil Walker hit .273/.334/.408, and was a little below average defensively

Espinosa had a 3.5 WAR and Walker a 3 WAR, i.e. top 12 overall 2B in baseball. Pretty cool right.

I think Dominguez's offensive expectations are very similar to those two, let's say .250/.315/.410 (.725) range. If he could be "slightly below average" at 2B, he's probably a top 15 starting player at the position. If he was a good defender, he could be a probably get close to a 4 WAR player.

In comparison to 3B, the best example is Ryan Roberts. He hit .249/.341/.427 (in an offensive park mind you, so he would come down a little and be relatively comparable to Dominguez projected offense), and was slightly above average defensively. He had a 3.6 WAR. Assuming Dominguez is a world beater defensively like Adrian or Longoria, and he can hit a .725 OPS, probably looking at a 4-4.5 WAR player. Third base depth in the majors is really bad right now.

Value wise, we're probably looking at the same basic player if he was able to handle 2B as both positions are hard to field. Team isn't losing value if they want to groom him elsewhere. It's a good idea on paper with Hanley at 3B now (who is clearly drastically superior), but practically I'm not sure Dominguez could move to 2B so effortlessly or if you would want to. But the Marlins do have a history of promoting guys to the bigs and playing a new position for the first time so hey, who knows.

Dominguez at 2nd? His defense is too good at 3rd to move him from there.

I'm not sure it would work either, but it's interesting to think about.

Danny Espinosa hit .236/.323/.414 this year and was pretty average defensively.

Neil Walker hit .273/.334/.408, and was a little below average defensively

Espinosa had a 3.5 WAR and Walker a 3 WAR, i.e. top 12 overall 2B in baseball. Pretty cool right.

I think Dominguez's offensive expectations are very similar to those two, let's say .250/.315/.410 (.725) range. If he could be "slightly below average" at 2B, he's probably a top 15 starting player at the position. If he was a good defender, he could be a probably get close to a 4 WAR player.

In comparison to 3B, the best example is Ryan Roberts. He hit .249/.341/.427 (in an offensive park mind you, so he would come down a little and be relatively comparable to Dominguez projected offense), and was slightly above average defensively. He had a 3.6 WAR. Assuming Dominguez is a world beater defensively like Adrian or Longoria, and he can hit a .725 OPS, probably looking at a 4-4.5 WAR player. Third base depth in the majors is really bad right now.

Value wise, we're probably looking at the same basic player if he was able to handle 2B as both positions are hard to field. Team isn't losing value if they want to groom him elsewhere. It's a good idea on paper with Hanley at 3B now (who is clearly drastically superior), but practically I'm not sure Dominguez could move to 2B so effortlessly or if you would want to. But the Marlins do have a history of promoting guys to the bigs and playing a new position for the first time so hey, who knows.

If the Hanley experiment works out then i would have no problem moving Dominguez in a trade. Unless they dont consider Infante a long term plan and then want to try Dominguez at second.

You lose rookie status at 50 innings pitched/45 days active roster, Hand pitched more than that. Ceda doesn't qualify either.

Scott Cousins is on the list and was on the active roster for the first two and a half months.

Maybe the bigger problem is that Cousins is even on the list. He's never raked in the minors and really didn't look all that impressive in his major league time last year.

Weird that Kevin Mattison didn't make the list?

No. He's a 26 year old mediocre minor league player.

1. Yelich

2. Dominguez

3. James

4. Fernandez

5. Ozuna

6. Realmuto

7. Rasumussen

8, Conley

9. Ceda

10. Koehler

Those are just off the top of my head.

Scott Cousins is on the list and was on the active roster for the first two and a half months.

He shouldn't be on there. 75 career games is not a rookie. In fact, he has over a year of service time. It's a mistake.

Weird that Kevin Mattison didn't make the list?

9. Ceda

Ceda has 96 days of service time, he does not qualify.

But if he did, I would put him as the # 5 prospect overall behind Yelich, Fernandez, Dominguez, and James. He has a lot of upside and really killed it second half of the year in the bigs.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.