Pujols to Angels

mystikol87

No one make plans for Saturday. There is going to be a big party at the new ballpark.

bulls***. This is just another one of your ploys to get me alone in a ballpark.

For real. I was there last night with him because he told me to come meet his good pal Pujols. He wasn't talking about Albert...

Here's the full article:

Albert Pujols mulls 3 offers: Cardinals, Marlins, and 1 more

By Bob Nightengale, USA TODAY

Updated 2m ago

DALLAS -- Marquee free-agent first baseman Albert Pujols, fueling the most lucrative bidding war in baseball history, obtained three 10-year contract proposals Tuesday that would pay him in excess of $200 million, an official close to the negotiations told USA TODAY.

The official could not comment on the negotiations because they are ongoing.

Pujols, who could announce his decision as early as Wednesday, has offers from the St. Louis Cardinals, Florida Marlins and a third team that has publicly declined to be identified. Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak confirmed his club increased its offer to Pujols late Tuesday, his first offer in nine months.

That came following the Marlins' revised 10-year proposal worth more than $200 million, according to the official and another person with knowledge of the negotiations. The third team also weighed in with a 10-year offer for the first time.

The Chicago Cubs also have made an offer, according to an official involved in the negotiations, but it's less than a 10-year deal.

Dan Lozano, Pujols' representative, met Tuesday with Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria and his front-office staff when they finalized their revised offer. He spoke on the telephone with Mozeliak, who confirmed their new offer.

"I hate handicapping these things,'' Mozeliak said. "I'm hopeful. …For me, it sounds like it's moving. As far as a conclusion, I couldn't tell you.''

Yet, nine months after Pujols rejected the Cardinals' nine-year proposal for about $195 million in February, the Cardinals believe they'll soon have a final decision.

"I suspect it will come quickly,'' Mozeliak said, "but I can't say that with any confidence. …There has been no hard deadline set, but I do get the sense they're going to move this thing forward, sooner than later.''

Pujols apparently is torn trying to make his decision. The most difficult quandary for Pujols is not necessarily the money involved, but the comfort level. He has spent his entire 10-year career in St. Louis where he has achieved iconic status, winning three MVP awards while leading the Cardinals to two World Series championships.

"I think the two biggest factors are comfort level and pressure,'' said veteran agent Barry Axelrod, who represented Craig Biggio and Jeff Bagwell, who spent their entire careers with the Houston Astros.

"You're talking about leaving your comfort level. You have to find a new grocery store, dry cleaners, the clubhouse guy is different, everything is differnet. You really don't know what you're going to get yourself into.

"And the other factor is pressure. When I had (former Cy Young winner) Rick Sutcliffe, we had a chance to leave the Cubs and go to Atlanta or San Diego for more money. He said, "If I go 15-10 somewhere else, they'll probably boo me. If I go 15-10 in Chicago, they may elect me mayor.

"If Albert stays, he can be a king or emperor of St. Louis. That's not going to be the case anywhere else.''

It's a similar dilemma, said Philadelphia Phillies manager Charlie Manuel, when Jim Thome reluctantly departed for Philadelphia in 2002 after spending 11 years in Cleveland.

"I'm pulling for him to stay in St. Louis,'' said Manuel, who already has seen the Marlins sign All-Star shortstop Jose Reyes and

All-Star closer Heath Bell. "Every time they sign someone, it gets tougher.''