Biggest piece of **fecal matter** ever written about the Marlins...

AeroFishOne

me thinks passan has no idea how a new baseball stadium is created in a metorpolis area...i mean its not like the yankees extorted the taxpayers of new york at all...right? right?

oh thats right, they are the yankees...they get to do whatever they want huh passan?

the guy is a dick and if he goes fishing and catches a marlin, i hope it pierces his heart. end/rant

i would really love to piss on this guy but didnt the yankees basically pay for their stadium themselves?

http://reason.com/archives/2009/10/16/yankee-welfare

Twins payroll went from $65 million in 2009 in the Metrodome to $97 million in 2010 in Target Field.

In 2011 their payroll was $113 million. They didn't spend that money wisely, but the point is certainly interesting because in the early 00s, the Twins and Marlins were the two most prime suspects for contraction/relocation.

It's a shame that none of this was acknowledged in the article, but it clearly would have gone against whatever type of argument he was trying to construct.

me thinks passan has no idea how a new baseball stadium is created in a metorpolis area...i mean its not like the yankees extorted the taxpayers of new york at all...right? right?

oh thats right, they are the yankees...they get to do whatever they want huh passan?

the guy is a dick and if he goes fishing and catches a marlin, i hope it pierces his heart. end/rant

i would really love to piss on this guy but didnt the yankees basically pay for their stadium themselves?

http://reason.com/ar.../yankee-welfare

lol yeah i dont know why i thought that for some reason. you should send that article to that passan prick.

Twins payroll went from $65 million in 2009 in the Metrodome to $97 million in 2010 in Target Field.

In 2011 their payroll was $113 million. They didn't spend that money wisely, but the point is certainly interesting because in the early 00s, the Twins and Marlins were the two most prime suspects for contraction/relocation.

It's a shame that none of this was acknowledged in the article, but it clearly would have gone against whatever type of argument he was trying to construct.

i try to not make it a habit agreeing with you on anything, but this is an awesome post...well done sir

http://reason.com/ar.../yankee-welfare

I have to give a big LOL to Jimmy linking to an article from Reason.

and are the facts there not verifiable?

the yanks extorted the city of new york on a much larger scale than the marlins did to miami

not that it make it right, but thats usually how professional stadiums get built...but city managers also realize the potential return on investment is worth the risk

I didnt even read it all, Iv also been seeing alot of hating on us too, seems like the jealousy is starting to set in.

They are afraid that we will finally become a baseball town. I hope and pray that Loria follows through with getting players here, and that the fans turn out. If it happens this could be just amazing. We could become the "Yankees" of the South !

Great, now this article is front page on yahoo's main site.

I mentIoned it in the other thread but Passan is a dick. Casey Stern on XM is starting to get up there to his level but Passan takes the cake.

Also like to add that I am now a Admin King fan after listening to him interview about us on XM. Really knows his Miami stuff and thinks highly of the Team.

Well for those that don't know, Admin King, used to be on the radio here in Miami, at WIOD 610 AM.....

This is from his wikipedia

A CBS staff announcer, whom King met by chance, told him to go to Florida, a growing media market where openings still existed for inexperienced broadcasters. King rode a bus to Miami. After initial setbacks, King persisted and got his first job in radio. The manager of a small station, WAHR (now WMBM) in Miami Beach, hired him to clean up and perform miscellaneous tasks. When one of their announcers quit, they put King on the air. His first broadcast was on May 1, 1957, when he worked as the disc jockey from 9 a.m. to noon. He also did two afternoon newscasts and a sportscast. He was paid $55 a week. He acquired the name Admin King when the general manager Martial Cemen said that Zeiger was too ethnic and difficult to remember, so Admin chose the surname King, which he got from an ad in The Miami Herald for King's Wholesale Liquor, minutes before air. He started interviewing on a midmorning show for WIOD, at Pumpernik's Restaurant in Miami Beach. He would interview anyone who walked in. His first interview was with a waiter at the restaurant. Two days later, singer Bobby Darin, in Miami for a concert later that day, walked into Pumpernik's as a result of coming across King's show on his radio; Darin became King's first celebrity interview guest.

His Miami radio show launched him to local stardom. A few years later, in May 1960, he hosted Miami Undercover, airing Sunday nights at 11:30 p.m. on WPST-TV Channel 10 (now WPLG). On the show, he moderated debates on important issues of the time. King credits his success on local TV to the assistance of another showbiz legend, comedian Jackie Gleason, whose national TV variety show was being filmed in Miami Beach during this period. "That show really took off because Gleason came to Miami," King said in a 1996 interview he gave when inducted into the Broadcasters' Hall of Fame. "He did that show and stayed all night with me. We stayed till five in the morning. He didn't like the set, so we broke into the general manager's office and changed the set. Gleason changed the set, he changed the lighting, and he became like a mentor of mine."[13] Jackie Gleason was instrumental in getting Admin a hard-to-get on air interview with Frank Sinatraduring this time.

During this period, WIOD gave King further exposure as a color commentator for the Miami Dolphins of theNational Football League, during their 1970 season and most of their 1971 season. However, he was dismissed by both WIOD and television station WTVJ as a late-night radio host and sports commentator as of December 20, 1971, when he was arrested after being accused of grand larceny by a former business partner. Other staffers covered the Dolphins' games into their 24–3 loss to Dallas in Super Bowl VI. King also lost his weekly column at the Miami Beach Sun newspaper. The charges were dropped on March 10, 1972, and King spent the next several years in reviving his career, including a stint as the color announcer in Louisiana for theShreveport Steamer of the World Football League in 1974–75 on KWKH. Eventually, King was rehired by WIOD in Miami. For several years during the 1970s in South Florida, he hosted a sports talk-show called "Sports-a-la-King" that featured guests and callers.[14]

I used to listen to him all the time at night and went to sleep listening to his Sports show as a early teen.....

and are the facts there not verifiable?

the yanks extorted the city of new york on a much larger scale than the marlins did to miami

not that it make it right, but thats usually how professional stadiums get built...but city managers also realize the potential return on investment is worth the risk

He wasn't talking about the article, he was talking about you citing that source. It would be like Penguino citing the Daily Worker.

The point is that Reason is probably one of the most libertarian and pro-free market publications out there. That's why the author was arguing against the government essentially giving handouts to the Yankees.

"The author?" Welch is the freaking editor-in-chief of Reason magazine, for cripes sake. He was expressing his viewpoint, which, unsurprisingly, corresponds with most of what they publish because he edits it. Why would anyone find this to be the least bit notable? Total non-sequitur.

the yanks extorted the city of new york on a much larger scale than the marlins did

There really is no comparison at all. The Yankees own their stadium, the Marlins don't, Miami-Dade County owns it.

The Marlins have gotten essentially nothing from local taxpayers. The M-D bonds will be paid by rent from the Marlins and a reallocation of 1% of the long-existing 6% hotel-bed tax. Unless you are a local who stays in local hotels, you pay nothing in the way of any subsidy to the Marlins. Even if you do, the bed-tax rate didn't change at all due to the Marlins, the stadium just got a piece of it.

Then there's the Yankees, whose privately owned stadium directly benefits from 417 million in local property tax waivers and 232 million in land giveaways from the city and 327 million in federal tax-exempt bond subsidies. Sounds like about a billion to me.

There are federal tax-exempt bond subsidies involved in the Marlins deal, but they flow to M-D county, not the Marlins. There are no property tax waivers or land giveaways to the Marlins, the county owns it and you can't waive or give stuff away to yourself to any net effect.

As for extortion, I don't think that the Yankees needed to or did extort anyone, other than as an exercise in political cover. Where were they going to move to? Across the river to New Jersey? That was a joke and everyone knew it. Yet they wind up with a billion of taxpayer money for a stadium they own. Now, THAT'S some serious crony-capitalism and political maneuvering, done New York-style.

The Marlins "extortion" was to raise the possibility of moving because they actually COULD move elsewhere, far, far away, and would have had to do exactly that absent a new stadium and the associated revenue streams. I'd call that pointing out reality.

The Yankees make Loria look like a total piker. They wound up with a billion in taxpayer money for a two billion dollar stadium they own and all he did was manage to get a half-a-billion dollar county-owned stadium built at essentially zero local-taxpayer cost.

city managers also realize the potential return on investment is worth the risk

There's no "return on investment" on any city/county-built stadium/ballpark/sports venue of any kind. City/county councils (and many, but not all teams) have been propagating this BS for decades, every time they want to build something. Numerous studies have been done, they all conclude the same thing. The project just diverts activity from some other form of entertainment, to no net effect, sometimes to a net detriment.

But, of course, most politicians ignore such inconvenient facts and prefer to point out that their city (in our case, county) is thus a "major league" city. Which is the main reason the Marlins will be here for the next 40+ years.

Thank you, Jeffrey Loria for having the perspicacity to figure this out, unlike previous owners. Especially since your half-billion dollar stadium (which you don't own) will be the coolest stadium in all of MLB and will enable you to put a serious team on the field for many years.

A local team in a state of the art stadium has benefit to the community. The economic impact part is overstated, but civic pride and gravitas are not insignificant. When you are wooing a business to relocate, things like weather, cultural activities and entertainment are useful factors.

Also, the Marlins are paying for the overwhelming majority of this stadium by the time it is done.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.