Sign in to follow this  
Iowa

Mark Buehrle, Marlins agree to 4 year/$58 million contract

Edwin Jackson has been good for 3 consecutive years now. It's not as if he sucks.

He's not the same guy who came into the league as a top prospect and couldn't throw strikes for the Devil Rays.

The Ozzie-Javy thing is way overblown

No it's not. As I said before any of this was ever reported this offseason, Ozzie doesn't like Javy Vazquez. He thinks he's a p***y.
From what I remember of the situation, the national media made it a much bigger deal than it really was. IIRC, all ozzie did was call him out, something he's not afraid to do to other players.

If that's enough to affect Javy's future with the fish, well then he's just a huge ball of vagina. IMO it won't.. money does all the talking.

Buehrle should be our top priority. People are going to overpay for Wilson and Jackson because the market is thin, and IMO they are question marks. Buehrle proves year in and year out that he is a top of the line starter, and the guy is not as old as you'd think... Nothing scares me about him. If we are going to commit that kind of money to the rotation, and we can't afford mistakes, this is the guy.

I predict Vazquez signs with the Nationals on a one-year deal. He'll stay in the NL East because of his success there, but he won't sign with the Marlins because of Ozzie Guillen.

Buehrle should be our top priority. People are going to overpay for Wilson and Jackson because the market is thin, and IMO they are question marks. Buehrle proves year in and year out that he is a top of the line starter, and the guy is not as old as you'd think... Nothing scares me about him. If we are going to commit that kind of money to the rotation, and we can't afford mistakes, this is the guy.

I think there are certainly reasons not to want to sign him:

He'll be 33 years old opening day.
He doesn't strike anyone out.
He doesn't have elite home run prevention skills.
He relies on his defense a lot, and there's no guarantee we'll be running out a great one behind him.

I'm not saying we shouldn't sign him, but there's no upside left in him anymore, and there's always the possibility that things catch up to him. I'd be fine if we did, but I wouldn't expect a whole lot more than a 4 ERA every year.

Yes, at an almost guaranteed 200+ innings, a 4 ERA is really cool. He would absolutely solidify our staff. But it's a safe move that has very little upside. I can absolutely see why people wouldn't be big on it.