Sign in to follow this  
Iowa

Mark Buehrle, Marlins agree to 4 year/$58 million contract

Washington definitely worries me in regards to Buehrle. They don't seem afraid to overspend to get what they want.

I'd be more worried about the Yankees. They are reportedly interested in him and not only are they unafraid to overpay, they also have unlimited funds to do so.

What kind of contracts do you guys see Buehrle and Jackson commanding? Both 3 year deals I would assume

Washington definitely worries me in regards to Buehrle. They don't seem afraid to overspend to get what they want.

I'd be more worried about the Yankees. They are reportedly interested in him and not only are they unafraid to overpay, they also have unlimited funds to do so.
I really have nothing to base this on but I can't see Buehrle playing in NY.

But then again, money talks

So one guy sucks, and we can't understand why anyone would be interested. The other guy is basically unquestionable.

Last three years:

Buerhle: 629 IP, 3.91 ERA, 1.316 WHIP
Jackson: 623 IP, 3.96 ERA, 1.363 WHIP

Jackson has allowed 1 earned run more over the last 3 years.

Right now, they're basically the same pitcher. They arrive at their outcomes in different ways, but the outcomes are largely similar.

The difference is one guy is 28 on opening day and the other is 33. Given the next 3-4 years, one guy is a much better bet to be the better pitcher. I'll let you guys decide which.

"He doesn't have elite home run prevention skills."
i would love to see that stat on a baseball card

It's called "Home Runs Allowed." It's not a very difficult concept. Good burn, though.

Are you going to completely ignore peripherals? Mark Buerhle is exponentially more likely to keep producing the type of season that Mark Buerhle has put up for the last decade than Jackson is. Will Mark Buerhle have an outstanding season? Probably not. But he probably won't have a terrible season either. With Jackson, it's either gonna be a great season, or a terrible one.

Yes, Jackson strikes out more batters, but he also walks more batters. He also has higher line drive rates, along with lower ground ball rates. This is all conducive to more inconsistent play. Do we really need another Ricky Nolasco? We'd be better off just keeping Nolasco and not signing either rather than spending the money it would take to sign Jackson (I'm gonna estimate something around 4/50) and then trading Ricky.

So one guy sucks, and we can't understand why anyone would be interested. The other guy is basically unquestionable.

Last three years:

Right now, they're basically the same pitcher. They arrive at their outcomes in different ways, but the outcomes are largely similar.

The difference is one guy is 28 on opening day and the other is 33. Given the next 3-4 years, one guy is a much better bet to be the better pitcher. I'll let you guys decide which.

It's called "Home Runs Allowed." It's not a very difficult concept. Good burn, though.

Are you going to completely ignore peripherals? Mark Buerhle is exponentially more likely to keep producing the type of season that Mark Buerhle has put up for the last decade than Jackson is. Will Mark Buerhle have an outstanding season? Probably not. But he probably won't have a terrible season either. With Jackson, it's either gonna be a great season, or a terrible one.

Yes, Jackson strikes out more batters, but he also walks more batters. He also has higher line drive rates, along with lower ground ball rates. This is all conducive to more inconsistent play. Do we really need another Ricky Nolasco? We'd be better off just keeping Nolasco and not signing either rather than spending the money it would take to sign Jackson (I'm gonna estimate something around 4/50) and then trading Ricky.

thank you.

whether you guys want buehrle or not, we have no need for guys like edwin jackson unless you want a walk and hit each inning. he is a 1.40 WHIP easily and is only a decent strikeout pitcher.

and hes like ricky in that when hes bad, hes horrible.

It's incredible how you just ignored bobbob's post which states otherwise.

Seriously, who cares about Edwin Jackson's career #'s? He's clearly been a different pitcher the last 3 years than he was at the beginning of his career when he sucked. 3 years of 200+ innings is a telling sample.

As stated, Jackson has more upside as well. And he'd probably be cheaper.

I'll take Buehrle like anyone else but I certainly wouldn't mind Edwin Jackson.

im sorry but i dont want to spend significant money on a guy whose "good year" last year was 199.1 innings yet had 225 hits, 62 walks (considered very good for him), and a mediocre 148 strikeouts to go along with a 1.44 whip.

very serviceable but not worth it when we dont know if javy will be back, ricky blows, and JJ is never healthy.

i would have taken a shot at him after 2009 but hes ricky nolasco with less control, less strikouts, and a slightly better career ERA.

we do not need another guy like that. we need a better pitcher whether its buerhle or not.

Last three years:

Jackson last three years:
2009: FIP 4.28, xFIP 4.32, 39.1% GB, 18.4% LD
2010: FIP 3.86, xFIP 3.71, 49.4% GB, 18.8% LD
2011: FIP 3.55, xFIP 3.73, 43.7% GB, 24.9% LD

Buerhle last three years:
2009: FIP 4.46, xFIP 4.37, 45.2% GB, 18.9% LD
2010: FIP 3.90, xFIP 4.49, 45.7% GB, 15.9% LD
2011: FIP 3.98, xFIP 4.14, 44.9%, 19.7% LD

I am not going to completely ignore peripherals. They're very close. But like I said, one's on the upswing of his career, one's on the down.

I'm honestly a little bit shocked at how strongly against Jackson some people here are. Perception's a hard thing to change.

Its hard to get a grasp on Jackson since he's been on 5 teams in 4 years. He had a pretty bleak tenure in TB followed by one year in Detroit.. in which he spun an all-star first half (terrible 2nd half) in to a 2 year deal from Arizona. He immediately went to crap in Arizona. Getting traded to Chicago seemed to have woken him up in the 2nd half of last year. Had a solid season this year for two teams which he again will spin in to another contract. I think there's a fear, at least from me, that we could see a pitcher like we saw in Arizona after he gets a new contract.. which would be a gigantic blow to the fish.

I dunno.. I understand each side of the argument.. I'd just much rather have Buehrle. I think he could be 15 game winner, 3.30 type pitcher for us.

Jackson is more inconsistent. We need a sure thing veteran pitcher, especially a lefty. Especially just for the clubhouse, enough of having a team of 26 year olds only.