Sign in to follow this  
Iowa

Mark Buehrle, Marlins agree to 4 year/$58 million contract

Jackson is more inconsistent.

While acknowledging the flaws in the stat, Mark Buerhle only averages two more quality starts per season over the last three years.

You guys are really overstating the differences between the two.

i just want the veteran lefty. i also love the fact that his games go about 2 hours. he is the anti volstad.

I want the guy who will give us the best 3 or 4 seasons of baseball.

when talking about starting pitching for us, I'm fine with just a 1 year deal for buehrle rather than a longterm deal for another righty in jackson who has had success, yes, but has also had a few years where he has been bad.

Buerhle's not signing a one-year deal.

id rather sign buehrle to a 2-3 year deal than jackson to a long term deal any day

Buerhle's not signing a one-year deal.

id rather sign buehrle to a 2-3 year deal than jackson to a long term deal any day

Buerhle's not signing for two years. He's probably not signing for three years.

He's 32. He's got one big paycheck left, and it's coming this summer. He's not going to settle.

Buehrle should be our top priority. People are going to overpay for Wilson and Jackson because the market is thin, and IMO they are question marks. Buehrle proves year in and year out that he is a top of the line starter, and the guy is not as old as you'd think... Nothing scares me about him. If we are going to commit that kind of money to the rotation, and we can't afford mistakes, this is the guy.

I think there are certainly reasons not to want to sign him:

He'll be 33 years old opening day.
He doesn't strike anyone out.
He doesn't have elite home run prevention skills.
He relies on his defense a lot, and there's no guarantee we'll be running out a great one behind him.

I'm not saying we shouldn't sign him, but there's no upside left in him anymore, and there's always the possibility that things catch up to him. I'd be fine if we did, but I wouldn't expect a whole lot more than a 4 ERA every year.

Yes, at an almost guaranteed 200+ innings, a 4 ERA is really cool. He would absolutely solidify our staff. But it's a safe move that has very little upside. I can absolutely see why people wouldn't be big on it.
I think that's a fair assessment..

My argument would be that Buehrle has been the same pitcher his entire career... he won't blow you away but he's a terrifically intelligent pithcer who works extremely fast and has great mechanics. So for the next 3 years I see no reason why his ability won't stay the same.. which with a move the NL, his upside would be an ERA closer to 3 than 4... which would be extremely valuable to us.

I know a "clubhouse guy" and "fan favorites" are dirty words around here.. but he's got that going for him too... not that it really matters.

I think yours is a much better assesment than the one you quoted, Lou.

Keep in mind, the Florida Marlins DO NOT sign pitchers to deals past 3 years unless their name is Josh Johnson. That basically means Jackson is definitely out, considering he will most certainly command a 4-6 year deal and I don't see Beinfest handing out a guarantee like that to Jackson.

NOW, I certainly see a 3-year deal in Buehrle's future... Like you said, he has been the absolute model for consistency, the same way Javy Vazquez has been, and almost every sign says you will not lose by signing him. The Marlins talk about spending money wisely, let's give the dollars to a guy that has shown he ALWAYS deserves his salary and will only grab a 3-year deal anyway...

I like that people list all of these reasons why Buerhle is an attractive candidate in free agency and then think he's going to take a 3-year contract. Apparently both him and his agent, not to mention every single team in the league, are unaware of how good of a pitcher he is. He's our little secret!