Keith Law's farm system rankings

poptart

1. Padres

2. Rays

3. Blue Jays

[...]

28. Marlins

They have one top-100 guy and only two others who would merit consideration in the next 50 or so. The system has produced a lot of big league talent in the past few years, including one star in Mike Stanton and another future star in Logan Morrison, that doesn't count here.

29. Indians

30. White Sox

http://insider.espn....em-baseball-mlb

at least we're not last, right?

The only prospects we need are Stanton's sperm.

Have him birth 25 children, then have him fill thousands of jars with his baby sauce and freeze them until his 25 children are, at the youngest, 22 and all in the majors. At that point, donate to 25 separate female athletes.

Marlins will be set for ever.

look at the Rays, jesus... and already a playoff-caliber team.

Congratulations for finally fielding a winning team and having a strong farm system, despite only averaging the 3rd overall draft pick 10 years in a row. I hate hearing praise for their organization's ability to evaluate talent and build a farm system. They are where they are as a result of perennial suckage. Way...to...go...

They are where they are as a result of perennial suckage. Way...to...go...

Matt Moore - selected in 8th round

Wade Davis - selected in 3rd round

Jake McGee - selected in 5th round

Desmond Jennings - selected in 10th round

They do have several top 3 picks as well, not going to debate that but how many top 3 picks made by other teams failed miserably thus far? To name a few from the past decade - Greg Reynolds, Jeff Clement, Matt Bush.

Having a top 3 pick does not guarantee picking the right player. They are definitely doing things right in Tampa.

During their 10 year disgrace to the game of baseball ('98-'07 seasons, '99-'08 drafts), they received 23% of the total available 1,2,or 3 draft slots. One team, hoarding near a quarter of the "Top 3" talent made available to 30 teams. True, they don't all pan out, but when you have 10 chances in a row at it, you're bound to hit more times that miss. Those draft positions were a direct result of them sucking. Their 10 year hiatus from being competitive was the worst consecutive 10 years of baseball played by any team (.399 win %) since the '56-'65 K.C. Athletics (.399 win %). Every other team in baseball since then, has gotten better faster than the Rays, and with fewer high-slot draft picks.

Congratulations for finally fielding a winning team and having a strong farm system, despite only averaging the 3rd overall draft pick 10 years in a row. I hate hearing praise for their organization's ability to evaluate talent and build a farm system. They are where they are as a result of perennial suckage. Way...to...go...

well clearly that's a big part of it. i wasn't even praising them necessarily, just commenting that it's an enviable position to be in when you're already good and your minors are stocked.

well clearly that's a big part of it. i wasn't even praising them necessarily, just commenting that it's an enviable position to be in when you're already good and your minors are stocked.

And I wasn't targeting your post, I just hadn't ranted about the Rays for awhile, and needed to get that off of my chest. Not once in the media have I read one mention about their stockpiling of draft picks during the times that they stunk. On the other hand, I couldn't tell you the number of times I've read compliments about what their front office has accomplished down there.

They had 10 1st/Supplemental round picks last year. 10. 1-0. T-E-N. Of course they are that high. But for a team that picked so high, very few of their 1st rounders hit. Here is the list of their picks from 99 to 07

2008 1 Tim Beckham ss AAA 2007 1 David Price p MLB 94 2006 3 Evan Longoria 3b MLB 563 2005 8 Wade Townsend p AA 2004 4 Jeff Niemann p MLB 89 2003 1 Delmon Young of MLB 729 2002 2 B.J. Upton ss MLB 820 2001 3 Dewon Brazelton p MLB

2000 was Josh Hamilton who was a mega bust for the Rays and Rocco Baldelli whose career was derailed by crazy health issues

They had 10 1st/Supplemental round picks last year. 10. 1-0. T-E-N. Of course they are that high. But for a team that picked so high, very few of their 1st rounders hit. Here is the list of their picks from 99 to 07

2008 1 Tim Beckham ss AAA 2007 1 David Price p MLB 94 2006 3 Evan Longoria 3b MLB 563 2005 8 Wade Townsend p AA 2004 4 Jeff Niemann p MLB 89 2003 1 Delmon Young of MLB 729 2002 2 B.J. Upton ss MLB 820 2001 3 Dewon Brazelton p MLB

2000 was Josh Hamilton who was a mega bust for the Rays and Rocco Baldelli whose career was derailed by crazy health issues

I don't think that's bad at all.

Really?

Tim Beckham - too early to say, but not looking promising

David Price - Hit

Evan Longoria - Hit

Wade Townsend - Bust

Jeff Niemann - not a bust, but a 4/5 starter is a disappointmentconsidering his potential out of college. Rice eats arms.

Delmon Young - Good player, not for the Rays. Turned him into Garza who is just ok.

BJ Upton - a sub .250 hitter with flashes of power, color me unimpressed

Dewon Brazelton - Bust

They turned 10 high first rounders into 4 players who contrinbuted to the franchise, 5 if you want to count Rocco Baldelli.

Really?

Tim Beckham - too early to say, but not looking promising

David Price - Hit

Evan Longoria - Hit

Wade Townsend - Bust

Jeff Niemann - not a bust, but a 4/5 starter is a disappointmentconsidering his potential out of college. Rice eats arms.

Delmon Young - Good player, not for the Rays. Turned him into Garza who is just ok.

BJ Upton - a sub .250 hitter with flashes of power, color me unimpressed

Dewon Brazelton - Bust

They turned 10 high first rounders into 4 players who contrinbuted to the franchise, 5 if you want to count Rocco Baldelli.

One of the best pitchers in the game, one of the best 3B in the game, a quality pitcher in Niemann, and value out of Delmon Young.

B.J. Upton has rather consistently been a 4+ fWAR CF'er. He's pretty f***ing good; his reputation just so happens to be different because he's had some lazy lapses and has gotten benched for them, but he's still been one of the most productive CF'ers in the game over the past few years.

I'd say that's pretty good for a crapshoot event, especially when you consider what they've done in other rounds.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.