Ozzie suspended 5 games

Guest Guest

Some people who do not have Cuban roots just don't get it!

They don't get it because either they don't know the details about the horrors of the Castro regime or because deep down inside they don't give a damn. Some don't want to get it because they, for whatever reason, dislike, and some strongly dislike Cuban-Americans in general.

So basically, if you can't understand why Cubans have an issue with Ozzie's statement, it boils down to ignorance, lack of empathy, dislike or hate.

As an American citizen that came from Cuba as a child over 50 years ago, I was disappointed that Ozzie, the manager of my Marlins, said he "loved Castro" but reportedly meant to say something else.

I am not sure if I believe his explanation but I do accept his apology.

Maybe now Ozzie has realized why people of Cuban origins feel so strongly against the Castro government.

Perhaps, hopefully some of you that believe that older Cuban-Americans always overeact can view their situation with the understanding that they deserve.

I think I understand....and I think there's some fans, young and old, that will always remember the "I love Fidel" comment whenever Guillen is mentioned. Even after Fidel dies. They'll spit on that comment. But still want to root for the team. What do they want as a community? What do you want to happen here? Fire him, longer suspension, something else?

They don't get it because either they don't know the details about the horrors of the Castro regime or because deep down inside they don't give a damn. Some don't want to get it because they, for whatever reason, dislike, and some strongly dislike Cuban-Americans in general.

So basically, if you can't understand why Cubans have an issue with Ozzie's statement, it boils down to ignorance, lack of empathy, dislike or hate.

As an American citizen that came from Cuba as a child over 50 years ago, I was disappointed that Ozzie, the manager of my Marlins, said he "loved Castro" but reportedly meant to say something else.

Maybe now Ozzie has realized why people of Cuban origins feel so strongly against the Castro government.

Perhaps, hopefully some of you that believe that older Cuban-Americans always overeact can view their situation with the understanding that they deserve.

I have Cuban roots and I don't get it. Well... I get it, but it's f***ing retarded.

... he was misquoted and has the right of freedom of speech.

This "freedom of speech" thing has gotten out of hand.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

There is nothing in the 1st Amendment that protects you from a public backlash to your dumb comments.

Thanks to the pussification of this country and the joke that is the 1st amendment, because so many idiots cannot take sarcasm or take something out of context, we will be managed poorly for 5 games. Thats cool

Can you explain what you mean about the 1st amendment? I don't see the connection.Also, Joey Cora will be fine, I'm sure.

I think he meant no one actually is allowed to practice the first amendment and freedom of speech without getting in trouble, in a way this nation is hypocritical.

Everyone should also take notice that all this media attention is not necessarily a bad thing for the Marlins it's going to make us money.

Ozzie = winning

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

There is nothing in the 1st Amendment that protects you from a public backlash to your dumb comments.

His "dumb" comments were taken out of context, there is also nothing in the 1st amendment protecting you from the media and angry Cubans from taking pretty harmless comments and twisting them out of control.

His "dumb" comments were taken out of context, there is also nothing in the 1st amendment protecting you from the media and angry Cubans from taking pretty harmless comments and twisting them out of control.

this^

Most people outside of South Florida do not understand the passion of the Cuban exile community.

Are first generation Cuban Americans still considered part of the exile community? I don't consider myself part of an exile comm, because I've never had any desire to go to Cuba, especially since I don't want to give Fidel any of my money.

Has there been a steady trickle of refugees from Cuba through out the years? How large is this exile community?

Can't believe how crazy people get over such innocuous comments.

Most people outside of South Florida do not understand the passion of the Cuban exile community.

Are first generation Cuban Americans still considered part of the exile community? I don't consider myself part of an exile comm, because I've never had any desire to go to Cuba, especially since I don't want to give Fidel any of my money.

Has there been a steady trickle of refugees from Cuba through out the years? How large is this exile community?

Actually, you are a second generation Cuban-American. I am a 1st generation, born in Cuba but live in the US and I am a US citizen. I may be Cuban by birth and still have love and respect for that culture, but I am now an American national loyal to the US, and proud of my adopted nation.

Anyway, the 5 game suspension was just fine. I forgive Ozzie and will continue to go to the games. I will not boycott the Marlins and think that anyone that does was never a true fan. I was outraged by Ozzie's comments' but the apology is accepted and it's time to move on. Let's go Fish!!! Beat those stupid Phillies :sleazy

I just don't see what a 5 game suspension does. Who are they trying to appease? MLB? Because these Cuban groups probably don't give a flying crap about a 5-game suspension.

It buys time. Ozzie can be hidden for a week or so.

To hide from what, pots and pans being thrown at him?

It lets the story die.

While I don't have Cuban roots, I do have roots from a Latin-American country with a brutal, murderer of a dictator who forced my family to flee, leaving generations of wealth and land behind.

Ozzie clearly didn't mean what people think (or are pretending to think) he said. He mean it that way, though it was a ridiculous thing to say and super insensitive. I do believe he definitely needed to apologize for what he said, as his choice of words was poor and his choice of content was poorer, but to paint him as someone who loves that Castro killed and oppressed is ridiculous. His explanation for what he meant makes perfect sense in context.

Its fine to be angry at Castro. Ozzie Guillen is not Fidel Castro.

Actually, you are a second generation Cuban-American. I am a 1st generation, born in Cuba but live in the US and I am a US citizen. I may be Cuban by birth and still have love and respect for that culture, but I am now an American national loyal to the US, and proud of my adopted nation.

Anyway, the 5 game suspension was just fine. I forgive Ozzie and will continue to go to the games. I will not boycott the Marlins and think that anyone that does was never a true fan. I was outraged by Ozzie's comments' but the apology is accepted and it's time to move on. Let's go Fish!!! Beat those stupid Phillies :sleazy

agreed. Now how does this actually effect the team. ozzie has instilled the running game into boni, and reyes. Our starting rotation looks to go deep into games, so managing our bullpen won't be much effected. The way I see it the only thing that is hurt by the suspension is who get's days off, and when.

Guest Guest

I still don't understand why one needs to have "Cuban roots" in order to weigh in on the matter. Having Cuban roots puts one in the predicament of having his/her opinion fueled more by emotion and less by logic and reason. Someone who doesn't have a detached viewpoint might not readily notice that Ozzie's diction does not make his comments very incendiary.

What I mean by this is that many of the outraged Cubans seem to see Ozzie say "I respect Castro" and basically stop reading and ignore the rest of his remarks.

I still don't understand why one needs to have "Cuban roots" in order to weigh in on the matter. Having Cuban roots puts one in the predicament of having his/her opinion fueled more by emotion and less by logic and reason. Someone who doesn't have a detached viewpoint might not readily notice that Ozzie's diction does not make his comments very incendiary.

What I mean by this is that many of the outraged Cubans seem to see Ozzie say "I respect Castro" and basically stop reading and ignore the rest of his remarks.

+1,

Seems to many people are unable to detach from it and read it with a clear mind.

Dumb comments by Ozzie but suspension is stupid

Suspension is a marketing protection move. You can't move a team into Little Havana and have your manager speak pro-Castro comments without making a statement that that's not okay. That's what the suspension was about.