Ozzie suspended 5 games

Guest Guest

I KNEW this would turn political. The Cuban exile community never misses a chance to force their politics into everything.

Oh but wait I was over-reacting by saying this wouldn't blow over :lol

Again that is why I say that those that don't live here, and don't understand South Florida politics don't have a clue.

I think Ozzie could be out before Friday. He may not manage another game in the new stadium.

Ozzie likes to get drunk after games win or lose, he's always in a win/win situation. He drinks if they win because he's happy he drinks if they lose because he's depressed.

Because he drinks excessively it makes it less offense to some people? It's okay to say it??

I'm not saying what he said is ok, but he's wild and at times out of control with both what he says and does this is just an example, everyone knew he was like that before he came to Miami. I just hope there isn't a new thread every time Ozzie does something that catches media attention.

he's not going to get fired. No way did Loria chase after this guy for so long to have to fire him after a week. He should apologize profusely and he has and will do so again. Suspend him for a few games? Sure whatever. Ozzie does not choose his words carefully, everyone knows this. It was a dumb typical insensitive Ozzie remark about how he doesn't give a crap about anything and hey people have been trying to kill that M-F'er for decades and he's still around, etc, etc, etc. He didn't defend Castro.

I had multiple family members killed by the firing squads of Fidel Castro.

Ozzie Guillen can go * himself.

I am still a Marlins fan.  I love the team.  I will always be a fan.  And I will always support them.  

But I am no Ozzie Guillen fan.

And people who says its blown out of proportion are doing the dangerous thing many Americans do, and thats interjecting opinions about situations they have no possibility in knowing how the affected party feels.

Fidel is Cuba's Hitler as Dan LeBetard said.  If you talk to Jews who had people killed during his regime, I am sure a comment in which Casto was replaced with Hitler would make them very upset.

I understand people HATING negative PR with their beloved team, but its not just some little thing that will get tossed to the side.  Saying you respect a murderer, especially one who had your relatives killed, is not going to go over well.  Especially in Miami.

A non-Jew who said that Hitler was sickeningly brilliant and charismatic might be saying something foolish, especially if he or she is a high-profile person in an area with lots of Jewish people, but they wouldn't be wrong.  That's really how I view Ozzie's comments here, from what I've seen.

Although I agree with your comparison it doesn't mean the comment doesn't hurt a group of people.  And if it hurts a group of people, in particular a group which surrounds your new home, why would people not be offended?

In this case I believe a good portion of the ownership group can understand it because of their ethnic background. It may make them a lot more sensitive to what the statement means to others.

I'm Jewish. I would think the person is an idiot, and I might not be a fan of them. But I wouldn't demand their resignation.But a lot of my family members would, for sure. And I'd think they're wrong, yet they'd do so nonetheless.

I am still a Marlins fan. I love the team. I will always be a fan. And I will always support them.

And people who says its blown out of proportion are doing the dangerous thing many Americans do, and thats interjecting opinions about situations they have no possibility in knowing how the affected party feels.

Fidel is Cuba's Hitler as Dan LeBetard said. If you talk to Jews who had people killed during his regime, I am sure a comment in which Casto was replaced with Hitler would make them very upset.

I understand people HATING negative PR with their beloved team, but its not just some little thing that will get tossed to the side. Saying you respect a murderer, especially one who had your relatives killed, is not going to go over well. Especially in Miami.

Excellent post. It's exactly how much of the community thinks and how its reacting.

I am thinking more and more Ozzie could be out before Friday. If he is still the manager I will be surprised.

he's not going to get fired. No way did Loria chase after this guy for so long to have to fire him after a week. He should apologize profusely and he has and will do so again. Suspend him for a few games? Sure whatever. Ozzie does not choose his words carefully, everyone knows this. It was a dumb typical insensitive Ozzie remark about how he doesn't give a crap about anything and hey people have been trying to kill that M-F'er for decades and he's still around, etc, etc, etc. He didn't defend Castro.

Many politicians and community leaders are calling for his head. I think it will end ugly and with Ozzie out of here.

Loria will not like it, but this is what people I am sure warned him about, or should have before he was hired.

The Marlins will not let Ozzie stand in the way of team profits. He will be canned if that is the case, even Loria will agree to do it then.

Tomorrow the news networks and ESPN will probably be showing images of the protest, so this story has the potential to cause national embarrassment to the Marlins.

Assuming anyone shows up for the protest.

I guess you've never dealt with the Cuban community when they get pissed ? Remember Elian Gonzalez in 2000 ?

Tomorrow the news networks and ESPN will probably be showing images of the protest, so this story has the potential to cause national embarrassment to the Marlins.

I guess you've never dealt with the Cuban community when they get pissed ? Remember Elian Gonzalez in 2000 ?

Oh God, I was 9 years old and I got so tired of hearing about him. Sympathetic at first, but every single day was a "new story" with the same info.

I am still a Marlins fan.  I love the team.  I will always be a fan.  And I will always support them.  

Fidel is Cuba's Hitler as Dan LeBetard said.  If you talk to Jews who had people killed during his regime, I am sure a comment in which Casto was replaced with Hitler would make them very upset.

I understand people HATING negative PR with their beloved team, but its not just some little thing that will get tossed to the side.  Saying you respect a murderer, especially one who had your relatives killed, is not going to go over well.  Especially in Miami.

Excellent post. It's exactly how much of the community thinks and how its reacting.

I am thinking more and more Ozzie could be out before Friday. If he is still the manager I will be surprised.

Do you want to put money on this?  Like, you'll be surprised, so you think it's more than a 50% chance he's fired before Friday.  I'll lay you even money.  I'll put up $1,000.00 USD.

lol! My family is Cuban and I grew up right in the middle of every protest that occurred in Miami back when there was real heat in the anti-Castro movement. We were the people that got pissed. It's been a long time, and the younger generation has other things on their minds.

Ozzie likes to get drunk after games win or lose, he's always in a win/win situation. He drinks if they win because he's happy he drinks if they lose because he's depressed.

Because he drinks excessively it makes it less offense to some people? It's okay to say it??

I'm not saying what he said is ok, but he's wild and at times out of control with both what he says and does this is just an example, everyone knew he was like that before he came to Miami. I just hope there isn't a new thread every time Ozzie does something that catches media attention.

Unfortunately this is more than a little thing. It's become national.

lol! My family is Cuban and I grew up right in the middle of every protest that occurred in Miami back when there was real heat in the anti-Castro movement. We were the people that got pissed. It's been a long time, and the younger generation has other things on their minds.

Okay.....so you say........ :glare

This is the mentality you are concerned with here.....this is what can happen tomorrow.

I'd have to imagine there would be guards, cops, etc there to make sure nobody touches him.

And Ronald Reagan had the secret service protecting him in 1981.......

The video you showed had nobody getting shot, just pushed around.

This is the mentality you are concerned with here.....this is what can happen tomorrow.

I'd have to imagine there would be guards, cops, etc there to make sure nobody touches him.

And Ronald Reagan had the secret service protecting him in 1981.......

The video you showed had nobody getting shot, just pushed around.

Really ? Is that all you have to say after watching that ? :lol

Both of my parents families left Cuba shortly after Castro took power and supposedly had to leave behind millions of dollars to start all over in the U.S.

Nevertheless, despite the fact that I really don't like him, I back Ozzie 100% as manager of the Marlins. However, were any of my family members to have died as a result of his idiocy then I would probably have a different opinion.

As it stands, I highly doubt Ozzie will be stripped of his role as manager for his comments. People say things they shouldn't all the time & I'm willing to forgive him (though I completely understand anyone who hates him now).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.