4/11 Post Game

canada-marlin24

worried about JJ and him being "fully healthy". he NEVER gets lit up like he did tonight. that's some chris volstad/ricky nolasco sh*t right there.

He only allowed 1 extra base hit. Volstad wishes he could do that!

i guess that's true. but usually he's able to get out of jams with limited damage because his stuff is so good. i don't see a good fastball and slider yet from JJ. he was getting quite a K's in spring training though i guess

Exactly. He touched

JJs velocity is down significantly and he's overthrowing which is causing location issues. I hope for the best but fear the worst

He did touch 94 tonight and I think 95 on opening night but is fastball average is definitely down.

Exactly. He "touched" 94 and pretty sure it wasnt a strike. But he was generally in the 92 range. we're talking about the the best FB pitcher in the league here...

Exactly. He touched

JJs velocity is down significantly and he's overthrowing which is causing location issues. I hope for the best but fear the worst

He did touch 94 tonight and I think 95 on opening night but is fastball average is definitely down.

Exactly. He "touched" 94 and pretty sure it wasnt a strike. But he was generally in the 92 range. we're talking about the the best FB pitcher in the league here...

I'm not saying I'm not concerned.

I'll start worrying if his #'s suck after more innings. 9.2 innings doesn't tell me much, especially when his .BABIP against must be near .600 or something after tonight.

He'll be fine. Plenty of pitchers are having problems with velocity early on.

I'm more worried about Logan Morrison being absolutely terrible in LF.

Exactly. He touched

Lol, not quite.

Reality is, he was only off a mph his first start from last year. Don't know exactly what he averaged tonight yet, but this was somewhat expected (in terms of velocity).

Another thing, though, that I noticed tonight - lack of breaking pitches. When he mixed them in to batters in the 4th inning, he got the first 2 batters out pretty easily. After that? Straight fastballs.

Like I said in the "JJ is the best pitcher in baseball" thread, I'm gonna give him another start [which should be against the Cubs] before being truly worried. Right now, it's more a concern.

Wasn't able to watch the game as I was attending the A's/Royals game (can't beat $2 tickets) so I'm wondering how Stanton looked. I read some comments he made about the knee being an ongoing concern and not something that's going to get better by playing everyday. How much concern should there be about that?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.