The Franchise

Guest Guest

This...looks...awesome.

Just remember. You may be upset about getting only 30 minute episodes, but every other team in the league gets 0 minute episodes.

And el penguino, I've watched Showtime shows on tv links before. I'm assuming this show will be available the day after it airs on tv links as well.

Yeah, will they have more shows since it's 30 mins?

To answer everyone's question-there were 8 shows last year & there will be a total of 8 shows again this year.

One insignificant change: Last year they were on Thursday's-this year they will be on Wednesday's.

And el penguino, I've watched Showtime shows on tv links before. I'm assuming this show will be available the day after it airs on tv links as well.

Correct. I saw they had the SF Giants episodes posted on there last year. I think they'll be put on YouTube again also-though maybe not right away, so you're probably better off with tv links.

My question is-the first episode isn't until July, how could they know already that they'll only want 30 min episodes? Perhaps there might be 1000 times more drama around the team than there is now-how could they commit so quickly? Do they have to let Showtime know months in advance how long the episode are going to be? I think that might be the answer. But anyway, with the Ozzie incident & a lot of interesting characters on the team I'm extremely surprised Showtime decided to go with 30 min episodes.

I probably would have subscribed to Showtime for this if the episodes were 60 minutes long. Since we are basically getting half the content now, I probably won't bother.

This is a major fail on Showtime's part.

You know, if 30 minutes was always the plan and they stuck to it, then I could understand that.

But, you're supposedly deciding between 30 and 60 minute shows. Then the stadium opens to rave reviews. Then Ozzie Guillen becomes a ginormous news story that dominates the headlines for nearly a week. Then you opt for 30 minute shows?

Seem an odd choice, at least from the perspective of one not informed in the ways of TV channel decision makers.

I haven't read anything that said this straight out but PalmBeachPost suggests that Showtime decided to show this preview because of all the controversy surrounding the incident with Ozzie. Which leads me to question, once again, how could they be so set on having 30 min episodes instead of 60? The Marlins have already spurred more attention than the Giants did at this point of the season-and yet the Giants had 60 minute episodes? Also, I'm not 100% sure about this but I don't think the Giants had an official 30 min preview for their series-if the Marlins have gained so much attention that Showtime wants to "tease" us with a 30 minute preview then it's just very surprising they don't wanna make longer episodes.

I probably would have subscribed to Showtime for this if the episodes were 60 minutes long. Since we are basically getting half the content now, I probably won't bother.

This is a major fail on Showtime's part.

You know, if 30 minutes was always the plan and they stuck to it, then I could understand that.

But, you're supposedly deciding between 30 and 60 minute shows. Then the stadium opens to rave reviews. Then Ozzie Guillen becomes a ginormous news story that dominates the headlines for nearly a week. Then you opt for 30 minute shows?

Seem an odd choice, at least from the perspective of one not informed in the ways of TV channel decision makers.

Super second this. If the Marlins had gotten off to a start where there was no one in the stands and were very boring, I could understand. But like others said, the Ozzie Guillen (who seems just as hilarious as we already knew him to be) thing could have taken up 1 full hour episode.

Weird.

Sounds like Showtime is already set on what they wanna focus on for the second episode of the series...

Season two of THE FRANCHISE will bring together the sexy, cosmopolitan vibe of the city of Miami with the intense and competitive world of America’s pastime as it follows one of Major League Baseball’s most talked-about teams – the Miami Marlins. The Marlins have a new look in 2012, with the hiring of Guillen, the acquisition of All-Stars Jose Reyes, Mark Buehrle, Heath Bell and Carlos Zambrano, and the return of established young stars including Hanley Ramirez, Josh Johnson and Giancarlo Stanton. Behind team owner Jeffery Loria and president David Samson, both of whom are providing extensive access to their front office operation, the Marlins have launched an extensive re-branding of the club this off-season which has included a name change (from Florida to Miami), the construction of a new ballpark and the unveiling of dramatically different uniforms.

30 Minutes is BS. Is that with or without commercials? That sucks.

Premium cable doesn't have commercials, so it's 30 full minutes. That's still way too short, though, for the amount of material (filmed already or not yet filmed), they should have available.

They skip large sections of the season. Last year they jumped from the first week of the season directly to the All Star Break.

So what?

The Ozzie-Castro thing alone can easily fill an hour.

They are also under no obligation to follow the same model they did last time, either.

So they're going to SKIP LARGE CHUNKS OF THE SEASON. It's not going to be a week by week diary of the team like Hard KNocks is during traning camp, it's a chronicle of behind the scenes drama and signifcant baseball happenings.

Guest Guest

30 Minutes is BS. Is that with or without commercials? That sucks.

Premium cable doesn't have commercials, so it's 30 full minutes. That's still way too short, though, for the amount of material (filmed already or not yet filmed), they should have available.

They skip large sections of the season. Last year they jumped from the first week of the season directly to the All Star Break.

So what?

The Ozzie-Castro thing alone can easily fill an hour.

They are also under no obligation to follow the same model they did last time, either.

So they're going to SKIP LARGE CHUNKS OF THE SEASON. It's not going to be a week by week diary of the team like Hard KNocks is during traning camp, it's a chronicle of behind the scenes drama and signifcant baseball happenings.

So what does that have to do with anything I've said? I never assumed it was going to be week by week. They still have more than enough to work with.

I don't see what you are taking issue with.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.