4/17 Post Game

Also, pretty bad attendance fail tonight. Paid attendance was less than 25,000, which means that there was certainly less than that in the park.

If things don't pick up soon, it's going to be hard to imagine the Marlins averaging 30,000+, which would be a pretty big embarrassment.

yeah for some reason i had the impression we always drew 30k+ when cubs were in town. but last year the two game series in florida against the cubs only drew 14k and 16k.

Also, pretty bad attendance fail tonight. Paid attendance was less than 25,000, which means that there was certainly less than that in the park.

If things don't pick up soon, it's going to be hard to imagine the Marlins averaging 30,000+, which would be a pretty big embarrassment.

yeah for some reason i had the impression we always drew 30k+ when cubs were in town. but last year the two game series in florida against the cubs only drew 14k and 16k.

Wow. That's extremely surprising.

Attendance may recover if we can get a few more wins. Castrogate has also not fully died out. I'm still running into a few Cubans who are bitter about the whole Ozzie thing, but most are starting to put that even behind them. Maybe in a few days with a few more wins, people will forget everything about Castrogate and go back to embracing the Marlins.

Attendance may recover if we can get a few more wins. Castrogate has also not fully died out. I'm still running into a few Cubans who are bitter about the whole Ozzie thing, but most are starting to put that even behind them. Maybe in a few days with a few more wins, people will forget everything about Castrogate and go back to embracing the Marlins.

I don't recall people caring when they started off 11-1.

Doubt just "a few more wins" is gonna do it.

Then the other option is to accept that people don't give a damn about baseball in south Florida, and just be thankful we have a baseball team despite the overwhelming odds. A few years ago I thought the Marlins would be off in Las Vegas by now.

I don't think Castrogate has much to do with why the attendance was well below the 30K mark. I mean if it really was an issue still I would think that there would have been more than one protester at Ozzie's first game back.

Great game overall. Boni is playing out of his mind, Infants stayed hot, Baby showed signs of life, and Hanley has been superman the last 2 games. JJ looked shaky with a ton of lead off walks, but we had a bunch of double plays which killed their innings.

I was at the game in section 23. Did they say anything on Tv about the guy who took the foul line drive to the face in left?

Less than 25,000 is weak. It's only the 5th game in the new stadium and the excitement is whatever.

It's a Tuesday night--- I'd be more concerned with weekend games. I am intrigued by Thursdays attendence figures though, a 12:40 Thursday game drew 300 people a few years ago right?

Guest Guest

Less than 25,000 is weak. It's only the 5th game in the new stadium and the excitement is whatever.

It's a Tuesday night--- I'd be more concerned with weekend games. I am intrigued by Thursdays attendence figures though, a 12:40 Thursday game drew 300 people a few years ago right?

Those are poor numbers for even a Tuesday night under the current circumstances.

Doesn't matter.

Other places sellout. It's a new ballpark.

You've also really gotta realize the situations with schooling around Miami schools and colleges and such. Elementary-high schools have FCAT these next couple of days, plus college students have their finals coming up in a couple of weeks, do they not? That's going to put a damper on the attendance if a lot of the younger crowds can't show up.

Not trying to make excuses, but that's definitely a legitimate reason, I would imagine.

Great game. JJ's slider looked much better but the velo is still not there. I still can't get over how good Hanley looks at the plate right now. The lineup in general seems to be coming around. Still waiting for Stanton to take off. That double could be a start. Kinda like Lomo 4, giving good abs with RISP.

Our attendance needs to pick the hell up. No excuse for the lack of a crowd.

I would say regardless of circumstances, having less than 25,000 on the 5th home game is disappointing. There are teams that draw far less than the Cubs. If we were out of contention in August, I'd expect this sort of attendance solely on the strength of the new ball park, better location and climate security. Not looking good from an attendance standpoint 5 games in to be honest.

Teams like the Nationals, Brewers, Diamondbacks, and Padres are traditionally low attendance games here in Miami. The big crowds tend to show up for the Yankees, Mets, Red Sox and other big name northern teams...and then half the ballpark is rooting for the other team. There are tons of transplants here that refuse to embrace the Marlins, and only come out to root against us when their big name northeastern team shows up in town.

Hanley has looked good at the plate. One thing I am seeing now that I didn't see all the time is Hanley reaching back and actively swinging for the fences when the pitcher makes a mistake. He seems to be seeing the ball well, and on top of that the move to third base will let him fill out his frame even more without having to lose the ability to field his position, as the range isn't as important at third.

Well, the idea is that the response will be different now that they're in the new stadium such that any previous start or win streak wouldn't be analogous.

With the exception of the playoffs it's looking like the best of all worlds, for a fan. A beautiful new state of the art(and beyond) park that you can get seats for at the door for face value(or less). Not so great for the franchise and MLB though. Let's give it some more time though. Greater familiarity and ease of coming and going, with a more aggressive policy(like the $10/seat day of game promo for weekday games starting this Thursday)....things can improve. You can bring in busloads in groups from Broward/Palm Beach all summer long with the new comfortable stadium. Just charge 'em $30-40 a pop for bus/ticket/$10 food voucher and they'll come. It's a great deal in the summer. A/C bus to A/C stadium(drop off/pick up at the gate)....and the folks get out for 5-6 hours. It all depends on how the franchise markets itself and it's discounts. This deal starting Thursday is a sign to me of proactive aggressive marketing, a good thing.