5/4 post game

josh looked good today in terms of velocity and liveliness.

there was one pitch to hudson in that 3rd inning that was called a ball but looked borderline. if that get's called, inning's over, it's still 5-2, and we might not even be talking about this. just sh*t luck that the pitcher hit a triple

I'm not worried about Heath Bell.

I am worried about JJ, though.

I am the opposite.

Unless if you mean that it'd be a lot easier to replace Bell than to replace JJ, then yeah.

Well right. I'm saying that a bad Bell isn't as big of a deal as a bad JJ. A bad Bell is a simple fix (even if it's a colossal waste of money). A bad JJ... well... he's Cy Young quality. We're relying on him, big time.

I may get beat saying this but.....

I think Bell being able to get out of the 9th was a feat in itself and should be taken as a positive. I'm not saying he should be back out in the 9th but its a positive none the less.

Yeah my DVR ran out with no outs and a runner on second ( save already blown) with Bell still pitching, so if he was able to pitch out of that, then I think that it is a positive. Baby steps I guess. . .

I do think most people are underrating just how hard a play Infante made in the 9th. That short hop is really hard to judge. I'm sure Dan Uggla would've had problems dealing with that kind of ball.

No one is denying Infante was awesome, but Cishek was quite the trooper. He came through for us big time.

According to you, the game was over in the 3rd.

Never would have guessed JJ would be the weakest link in the rotation. Go figure. And seriously, enough is enough with Heath Bell. He is not focused, either. It doesn't help with all the distractions in San Diego. I bet he was thinking about looking cool for his f***ing kids when he was out there in the ninth. He should be able to shake off the boos. I don't care how much money he's being paid to "be the closer." He's costing games, ruining multiple wins for Big Z and he needs to be demoted to mop-up reliever duty for the time being. Stop putting him in close games, period.

You know you're awesome when HANLEY gives you a big hug after the game. And the kid actually completed a 1-3 without throwing the ball away. That play made me cringe last year. He is really pwning this year, stepping up. But now Cishek is definitely unavailable tonight. Hold on to your hats, kids. This should be another hair-pulling, eye-covering extravaganza. Good thing I've got Chardonnay.

Hanley gave Cishek a huge hug after the game. Still not sure why Ozzie went to Bell in the 9th. 1-run lead man...

Yes you want Heath Bell to get his groove back.

No, you do not need to risk the game over it.

Reading between the lines from the coverage for last night's game, having Bell close last night might not have been entirely Ozzie's decision. The front office needs Bell to work out, otherwise it's $27 million dead money (and they look foolish for signing him), so they're going to give him more opportunities than a lower paid pitcher would get. My guess is that Ozzie will use him to close unless it's a one run game (maye two). Otherwise, we'll see him again if the Marlins are losing, or winning big.

Hanley gave Cishek a huge hug after the game. Still not sure why Ozzie went to Bell in the 9th. 1-run lead man...

Yes you want Heath Bell to get his groove back.

No, you do not need to risk the game over it.

Reading between the lines from the coverage for last night's game, having Bell close last night might not have been entirely Ozzie's decision. The front office needs Bell to work out, otherwise it's $27 million dead money (and they look foolish for signing him), so they're going to give him more opportunities than a lower paid pitcher would get. My guess is that Ozzie will use him to close unless it's a one run game (maye two). Otherwise, we'll see him again if the Marlins are losing, or winning big.

I suspected the same without any proof, but how will he manage the team in the future if such a call is not his but Beinfest's?

I may get beat saying this but.....

I think Bell being able to get out of the 9th was a feat in itself and should be taken as a positive. I'm not saying he should be back out in the 9th but its a positive none the less.

he was extremely lucky to get out of the 9th. denorfia lined a shot down right field that was foul by a few feet that would've ended the game, and the final out of the inning by headley was stung as well.

What matters is that Bell looked terrible.

It's not uncommon for a terrible pitcher to pitch terribly and get out of an inning after only allowing one earned run. The Padres hitters helped him out a lot with their small ball. They wanted so desperately to low down a bunt, so instead of taking pitches that were way out of the zone they were trying to put the bat on them.

There's really nothing positive to be taken from Bell's performance last night.

What matters is that Bell looked terrible.

It's not uncommon for a terrible pitcher to pitch terribly and get out of an inning after only allowing one earned run. The Padres hitters helped him out a lot with their small ball. They wanted so desperately to low down a bunt, so instead of taking pitches that were way out of the zone they were trying to put the bat on them.

There's really nothing positive to be taken from Bell's performance last night.

So a pitcher thats been good can be lucky and have the batters help him get outs and we can look at the positives but another pitcher who's struggling gets lucky and we can't take the positives out of that whatsoever?

Wow, I'm fed up with his performances too and don't want him near the 9th but some of you guys are taking this to the next level, and this thread and the "Bell blames god" thread is a good example of it.

The point is that if you watched that inning, it's pretty clear that he wasn't pitching any better than he had in other recent outings. The end result isn't necessarily that important, no matter what you say.

He couldn't locate his curve for sh*t, and it seemed like the Padres hitters could easily read it out of his hand and knew when to sit on it. They were also making solid contact off of his fastball.

Whether he gave up one run or two during all of that mess is pretty inconsequential.

The point is that if you watched that inning, it's pretty clear that he wasn't pitching any better than he had in other recent outings. The end result isn't necessarily that important, no matter what you say.

He couldn't locate his curve for sh*t, and it seemed like the Padres hitters could easily read it out of his hand and knew when to sit on it. They were also making solid contact off of his fastball.

Whether he gave up one run or two during all of that mess is pretty inconsequential.

Fine. I think that he got out of the inning with one run from no outs, a positive to build, considering you try to pull good thing to motvate. You can think whatever you want, since it's your god given right.

I'm not going to get into one of your many inconsequential arguments like you started with Erick the other day.