Bonifacio's Singles Streak

Wow...27 straight singles for Boni.

I bet he breaks it with a triple.

Emilio Bonifacio has 27 hits this season, all of them singles. That is the longest streak of singles to open a season in club history, beating out a 21-single streak by Chris Coghlan in 2010. Bonifacio had 21 singles in April. Since 1900, that tied Brett Butler (1982 for Atlanta) and Jerry Grote (1976 for the Mets) for the second-most April singles without an extra-base hit, behind Juan Pierre, who had 29 for Colorado in 2002.

That's crazy.

But, for him, a single has been turned basically into a double, what, 13 times now? By stealing second base. As long as he gets on base, he could have 220 hits and all be singles for all I care. Not too much of a problem, imo. :D

That's crazy.

But, for him, a single has been turned basically into a double, what, 13 times now? By stealing second base. As long as he gets on base, he could have 220 hits and all be singles for all I care. Not too much of a problem, imo. :D

He's 14 for 14. One more steal and he ties the Marlins record for most consecutive steals without getting caught (15 by Chuck Carr).

That's crazy.

He's 14 for 14. One more steal and he ties the Marlins record for most consecutive steals without getting caught (15 by Chuck Carr).

OK, so let's see it as 15 singles and 14 doubles. :D

Such a good player he's developed into, who would have imagined in late 2009 that he'd be one of the key players in the 2012 New Park ball-club (Which has high expectations).

His plate discipline especially from the left side of the plate has improved leaps and bounds at the MLB level..

He deserves the true Lo Viste

And I also feel like he's a great character guy in the clubhouse, Perhaps not a leader but one of those guys that helps a team be united more, maybe similar to JP or Dontrelle

Such a good player he's developed into, who would have imagined in late 2009 that he'd be one of the key players in the 2012 New Park ball-club (Which has high expectations).

His plate discipline especially from the left side of the plate has improved leaps and bounds at the MLB level..

And I also feel like he's a great character guy in the clubhouse, Perhaps not a leader but one of those guys that helps a team be united more, maybe similar to JP or Dontrelle

Haven't posted in several months, but I've been lurking, but I had to reply to this...

As stupid as it may sound, I must say that as I fan I'm very proud of Boni. Three years ago I hated seeing him go up to bat because it was almost always a guaranteed out, but now he gets on base so often and is such a threat to steal that I am excited for him.

Good on Boni. Hope he stays hot and stick around.

I've also been impressed with his effective use of the delayed steal. I don't remember anyone using it as regularly and with as much success as he does. Are there any other prolific base stealers, active or inactive, who used it frequently?

Haven't posted in several months, but I've been lurking, but I had to reply to this...

As stupid as it may sound, I must say that as I fan I'm very proud of Boni. Three years ago I hated seeing him go up to bat because it was almost always a guaranteed out, but now he gets on base so often and is such a threat to steal that I am excited for him.

Good on Boni. Hope he stays hot and stick around.

Thanks, Trader Jack

The lingering issue with Bonifacio is that, as long as he strikes out like he does, he is going to rely exclusively on high batting averages on balls in play for value.

Last season, he posted a .372 BABIP and was good. This season, he is posting a .310 and he kind of sucks. Like, passable OBP which is important, but everything else about him is terrible.

He really needs to at least find some gaps.

I remember the guy from 2008, he was with Washington. Late in some game, he pinch-hit. Right-handed. Promptly slapped a single to right-center. He probably then stole 2B, but I don't recall.

I wondered "who is this guy?" and the next year he was here. I've always liked him, he's a slap-single-hitting machine and a human tornado if he's on-base. Good arm and every once in a great while he has a little pop. He's figured out curve balls and will probably be around on some team until he loses his massive speed edge. Once the speed is gone, he'll be gone.