Bring back Willingham

Jclark1324

He just started a 3 year deal and the twins need him. Not happening.

The Twins don't need him at all. They suck and would be better off trading him for assets that can benefit the future of their team.

Thank you Erick, they're gonna be in the AL Central basement for a while... I just can't bare to watch Cogs or Petey Pipes sub .200 average anymore. After Lomo it's almost 4 automatic outs.

Guest Guest

I'd bet money that he has a pretty mediocre second half.

Mediocre is a huge upgrade at this point.

Not really, considering he's not really much of a defender, either. He does nothing to improve the outfield defense. The Marlins should be able to piece together low .700 OPS offensive production without taking on Willingham's contract.

Personally, I would love this to happen, for perfectly irrational reasons. Hammer was my favourite player when I first got into baseball and the Marlins.

As long as Scott Olsen doesn't come back as well.

Willingham being traded got us Bonifacio. :D

Not really, considering he's not really much of a defender, either. He does nothing to improve the outfield defense. The Marlins should be able to piece together low .700 OPS offensive production without taking on Willingham's contract.

You say this as if Willingham isn't a lot better than that, offensively.

Not that I really want him, but he would certainly be an upgrade.

Guest Guest

He had an .883 OPS in the second half last year and .815 for his career. I think you're overstating that.

That was after a pretty mediocre first half. I'm not really calling him a second half hitter; I'm more calling him incredibly inconsistent. He's been able to piece together a couple of months most seasons where he's absolutely dominant and gets people talking about how great he is. Then he'll get into a prolonged slump.

For someone that inconsistent it's a bad move to buy high on him right now when there's a good chance he'll cool off considerably for the remainder of the year.

Guest Guest

He can be that bad offensively (low to mid .700s) or he can be much better than that--it depends. He's too inconsistent for me to want to go out and acquire him right now.

I have little confidence that he can maintain this level of production for a full season.

He can be that bad offensively (low to mid .700s) or he can be much better than that--it depends.

No, it really doesn't.

Josh Willingham has never been a "low to mid .700's" guy.

His .OPS has basically always been north of .800, at worst.

Guest Guest

Yes, I am. Probably more so than most major leaguers. Is he really a .900+ bat?

Why buy high on a 33 year old with 2 years left on his contract with a reasonable possibility that he cools off a ton on a second half?

Why buy high on a 33 year old with 2 years left on his contract with a reasonable possibility that he cools off a ton on a second half?

As I said, I don't really want him.

I'm just arguing what you said, which was: "He can be that bad offensively (low to mid .700s) or he can be much better than that--it depends."

His lowest single season .OPS is .810 and this is now his 7th full season in the big leagues. Safe to say he can hit and he's had a pretty consistent career doing it.

The Twins would want Yelich, Fernandez, Ozuna, James, or any combination of these four players in a trade for Willingham (He's OPS'ing .965. They'll ask for the moon at the deadline if he continues this pace). There's no way in hell I'd be willing to trade top prospects for an aging left fielder.

Guest Guest

As I said, I don't really want him.

I'm just arguing what you said, which was: "He can be that bad offensively (low to mid .700s) or he can be much better than that--it depends."

His lowest single season .OPS is .810 and this is now his 7th full season in the big leagues. Safe to say he can hit and he's had a pretty consistent career doing it.

Let's say he finishes the year with an .810 OPS but keeps up his current production for a week or two and the Marlins acquire him. How productive will his bat be for the Marlins for the remainder of the season?

Yes, I am. Probably more so than most major leaguers.

I don't think so. I think players go through peaks and valleys. Even the best ones.

OPS by month for the batting MVPs over the last three years:

Mauer, ’09: 1.338, .897, .845, 1.101, .958

Pujols, ’09: 1.132, 1.160, 1.283, .900, 1.092, 1.056

Hamilton, ’10: .845, .826, 1.297, 1.172, 1.078, .833

Votto, ’10: .904, 1.012, 1.029, 1.157, 1.053, 1.000

Braun, ’11: 1.181, .796, .923, 1.038, 1.057, .988

With the exception of Votto, who was kind of hilariously consistent that season, every one of them had differences of almost .400 OPS points in their MVP seasons.

That's not a Josh Willingham thing. It's a baseball thing.

No, he is not a .900 OPS bat. You don't bring him in with the expectation that he is. You bring him in with the expectation that he is an .800+ OPS bat.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.