Post Game 6/25

Pitching has been godawful the last few weeks. I just don't know what to expect from this team anymore.

I just expect them to lose.

ain't that the truth, from the first walk in the 9th it felt that way. Then we had to see and hear all the stats,"Holliday 0-12 lifetime vs Bell" boom 2 strike hit. "Cardinals are 1-5 in extras this year and the Marlins are 6-1, so this favors the Marlins", boom and a hit from a pitcher after the lineup gaffe.

I'm not sure, but I think that Bell must have thrown 17 consecutive fastballs. FX says there was a change-up and a sinker in the mix after that. Other than that Bell threw nothing but fastballs until his last batter Freese--after the damage was done.

So he basically threw nothing but fastballs, the game got tied, and then finally threw two curveballs.

If you were a Cardinals hitter you more or less knew what pitch was coming.

and he even says in the post-game interviews "I've got to start mixing it up more, I was giving them almost all fastballs." Well YEAH?? Does this not occur to you as you're, ya'know... pitching?? I haven't noticed if he's shaking off Buck or not, seems like Buck would try to stop this...

I'm past the point of this team not being good, I got there a few games ago, so all expectations of playoffs or anything good is out the window. I checked my phone after the 8th and saw it was 6-2, I was like o.k. for sure a win. I woke up this morning and found out they lost. Whats so alarming this year is that the bullpen which of you remember was amazing at the beginning of last year is in the bottom 5 and blowing big leads Bell, Gaudin, Webb and even Mujica and occassionally Cishek have been bad this year. Sure not hitting is a problem but when relief pitching becomes a problem and starting pitching becomes inconsistant we have bigger issues on our hands. Were not going to do anything this year so sell at the trade deadline. It's time to look towards the future, you can think the incompetent FO for a lot of this as well.

Don't mean to blame Stanton, but he seriously went from RED HOT to ICE COLD...

May: .343 BA, .432 OBP, 12 HR's, 30 RBI's, 23 runs...

June: .198 BA, .301 OBP, 3 HR's, 6 RBI's, 9 runs...

He looks so lost at the plate right now. Seems to have somehow lost his ability to recognize pitches and been swinging at a bunch of pitches way out of the zone. And before June every time he made contact the ball would just shoot off his bat...Now every time he makes contact it's just a slow roller or lazy fly ball to the outfield...What the heck happened to him?!? I know he's in a slump, but I just never thought I'd see him constantly make such weak contact-kinda assumed that he would always be able to shoot deadly liners no matter how he hit the ball off his bat...

I don't know but it's got to be Eduardo Perez's fault.

It is true. In April after maybe the 4th blown save, Ozzy was saying to the press that he should throw his fastball and not try and mix in so many curves and changes.

Bell took exception to that and said basically that he knows what he is doing and will throw what he wants.

It's possible Bell took the original advice, but probably more likely that he decided last night that nothing else was working.

It is true. In April after maybe the 4th blown save, Ozzy was saying to the press that he should throw his fastball and not try and mix in so many curves and changes.

Bell took exception to that and said basically that he knows what he is doing and will throw what he wants.

It's possible Bell took the original advice, but probably more likely that he decided last night that nothing else was working.

Umm I could be wrong but I thought ozzie told him to throw more fast balls because he couldn't throw his other stuff for strikes.

Umm I could be wrong but I thought ozzie told him to throw more fast balls because he couldn't throw his other stuff for strikes.

Well, yeah, that's basically what we both said. I didn't get into the "why" of what Ozzy said as I was trying to keep it under 3 paragraphs. I didn't want to bother looking up old Ozzy quotes about Bell, and Bell's responses. They're out there, I read them at the time.

I think it's safe to assume that anything Ozzie said to the press was also something he said in more-or-less the same terms to Bell. Bell's response to the press (and, indirectly, Ozzy) is on the record. We'll never know what either of them actually said to each other back in April, but we can guess.

Bell's problem is that nothing, including his fastball, was working on the 25th. That loss is the only loss in Marlins history wherein they blew a 4-run lead in the 9th.

That record is probably not something that Bell or Loria would have thought possible when they were busy negotiating 9 mill/year to close, but there it is.