7/19 Post Game

Michael

The Hanley for Upton thing is funny.

I find it funnier that some people think Greg Dobbs is a "keeper" because every team needs a great pinch hitter. Brilliant!

Every team doesn't need a great pinch hitter-but Dobbs is well worth the money were paying him so it would be really stupid to just let him go. He's hitting over .300 this season in pinch hitting roles and spot starts. It's really hard to put up the kind of numbers hes having when you don't get to play on a consistent basis. If the Marlins got rid of him it would be really hard to find a replacement who could match his production.

It would be even harder for him to put up the kind of numbers he's having if he got to play on a consistent basis, I promise.

Greg Dobbs is a pinch hitter and spot starter. Do you realize we could get similar production from any number of players in this league? He is not a "key" piece for this team. We suck. He'd be nice if we were good, but we are not. I'd trade him in a heartbeat. Much harder to find a starting caliber position player than it is to find a solid pinch hitter.

Truth is Dobbs is actually hitting just .259 this season as a pinch hitter. Last season he hit .370 as a pinch hitter (10 for 27) but before that he had 2 seasons with BA's under .200 as a pinch hitter. It was in 2008 that he really became known as a solid pinch hitter when he hit .355 (22 for 62) in the pinch hitting role-ever since then hes been just average. I'd still definitely keep him though because hes been very solid in spot starts. This season he's 37 for 119 (.321 BA) when starting. Not easy to find a player that'll produce like that without consistent playing time-and 1.5MM is a pretty good price as well.

I find it funnier that some people think Greg Dobbs is a "keeper" because every team needs a great pinch hitter. Brilliant!

Every team doesn't need a great pinch hitter-but Dobbs is well worth the money were paying him so it would be really stupid to just let him go. He's hitting over .300 this season in pinch hitting roles and spot starts. It's really hard to put up the kind of numbers hes having when you don't get to play on a consistent basis. If the Marlins got rid of him it would be really hard to find a replacement who could match his production.

It would be even harder for him to put up the kind of numbers he's having if he got to play on a consistent basis, I promise.

I agree, and I'm not saying it would be easier for him to produce like hes been this season if he got to play everyday. I'm just saying that it's not easy for a player to put up solid numbers when he can't get in a groove with consistent playing time (duh) and the Marlins should therefore keep him because it'll be difficult to replace him.

Hanley is god awful.

Yes, put ALL the blame on Hanley.

Don't put any blame on the two runners early who got caught stealing / picked off. No, those don't matter.

Let's put NO BLAME AT ALL on Mark Buehrle who suddenly couldn't make pitches in the 5th inning.

Let's not blame anyone else on the offense but Hanley, even though this offense mustered 4 hits and one walk off a guy with an ERA over 4 and a WHIP over 1.3.

IT'S ALL HANLEY'S FAULT!

God damn it, I know he's having a sh*tty season, BUT HE'S NOT THE ONLY ONE!

They built the team around him....he is the lynch pin. If he doesn't do well (overall), the whole team concept for this squad crumbles.

I said before the season to get rid of him. Most of the posters here didn't like that.

Oh well........ :elefant

It's kind of odd to wish for a fire sale. But we should. Next year's team should only have this year's bench players and people from the farm system.

Do you have any inkling what a fire sale would do to the perception of this team and to the attendance next season?

That would definitely be "same old Marlins".

I don't know what the answer is, but everyday that seat in the FO must be getting hot for several longtime employees.

Maybe if changes are made next year can be salvedged.

It's kind of odd to wish for a fire sale. But we should. Next year's team should only have this year's bench players and people from the farm system.

Do you have any inkling what a fire sale would do to the perception of this team and to the attendance next season?

I don't know what the answer is, but everyday that seat in the FO must be getting hot for several longtime employees.

You are the absolute definition of a one-track mind.

You are the absolute definition of a one-track mind.

So we should continue year after year to allow the same people to run the team ? 13 of the 15 other NL teams have made the playoffs since the Marlins have. If Washington and Pittsburgh make the playoffs this year, which right now looks like a good possibility, that will mean every other team has been since we have. That is incompetence and should not be rewarded with yet another chance to build the team. This FO squandered the new ballpark "honeymoon" with bad decisions and now Loria is stuck with a lot of bad contracts.

Part of being a good or better than average GM is having a "gut feeling". If you don't have a good one, and time after time seem to have "bad luck" then what is the reason to keep them employed. You can't do much worse, and if you stick with the same what makes you think it will be better ?

Anyone that doesn't see the logic in letting new eyes and new ideas run the FO I have to question their real fandom of the Marlins.

Seriously. I think people believe Justin Upton has been this superhuman player performing like a beast since he entered the league, when he's actually having a worse season than Hanley is. Hanley for Upton is stupid, idiotic, moronic, and any other synonym for dumb you can think of.

Hanley is putting up 1.6 WAR this year, as opposed to Upton's 1.5. Upton has put up a total of 9.4 WAR from 2010-2011 while Hanley has put up 5.9. Overall, Hanley's done better throughout his career (7.4 and 7.5 WAR in consecutive seasons from 2008 to 2009), but his stats have been regressing since 2009. Upton's haven't been. Upton does have a higher BABIP than Hanley does over the last few years (around the .330's,) but Hanley's BABIP has been consistently going down since after 2009. It all comes down to whether you believe he's been unlucky these last few years or if he's regressing.

I'd personally be up for trading Hanley if the right deal came along.

For what it's worth, I found it funny not because I wouldn't like Justin Upton.

I'm sure Upton is worth more than Hanley at this point unless if Kevin Towers is crazy.

Based on all the Upton rumors, it seems like Arizona is only willing to trade him for several prospects. Thus, I don't know why everyone keeps bringing up this Hanley-Upton idea.

Greg Dobbs is a pinch hitter and spot starter. Do you realize we could get similar production from any number of players in this league? He is not a "key" piece for this team. We suck. He'd be nice if we were good, but we are not. I'd trade him in a heartbeat. Much harder to find a starting caliber position player than it is to find a solid pinch hitter.

I beg to differ that you could get similar production for a player spot starting and as a pinch hitter unless your talking about Rugs. Who else could we pick up that would provide professional at bats and help off the bench as much as Dobbs has in two years with the Marlins? I would trade him if an offer came up that would allow us to get a starter but otherwise, there is no need to move him. I find it odd that people point out Dobbs when he has been nothing but a hard worker and class act since he's been here. He just does his job.

I'm sure Upton is worth more than Hanley at this point unless if Kevin Towers is crazy.

Based on all the Upton rumors, it seems like Arizona is only willing to trade him for several prospects. Thus, I don't know why everyone keeps bringing up this Hanley-Upton idea.

So What do u think of the thread I made about a trade for J. Upton? OF's Yelich&Ozuna +Nolasco (Or another pitcher, u named it) for him. ???

I beg to differ that you could get similar production for a player spot starting and as a pinch hitter unless your talking about Rugs. Who else could we pick up that would provide professional at bats and help off the bench as much as Dobbs has in two years with the Marlins? I would trade him if an offer came up that would allow us to get a starter but otherwise, there is no need to move him. I find it odd that people point out Dobbs when he has been nothing but a hard worker and class act since he's been here. He just does his job.

Guys like Dobbs and Ty Wigginton are always available.

Dobbs has done a solid job, but I've always subscribed to the fact that pinch-hitters and spot starters are extremely expendable when you are rebuilding and trying to unload players for younger talent and depth. Gregg Dobbs is perfect for a team that is going to the playoffs. We are not, so I'd rather have someone with upside get those at-bats. I honestly don't care if he stays or not and I'm not looking to shop him just for the record. Just my view on Dobbs-like players.

Guys like Dobbs and Ty Wigginton are always available.

Dobbs has done a solid job, but I've always subscribed to the fact that pinch-hitters and spot starters are extremely expendable when you are rebuilding and trying to unload players for younger talent and depth. Gregg Dobbs is perfect for a team that is going to the playoffs. We are not, so I'd rather have someone with upside get those at-bats. I honestly don't care if he stays or not and I'm not looking to shop him just for the record. Just my view on Dobbs-like players.

I hear you about Dobbs being perfect for a team going to the playoffs. It makes sense, and yea it's obviously not like the Marlins are going to be pushing for the playoffs anytime soon. I definitely understand what you're saying from a rebuilding stand point.

So What do u think of the thread I made about a trade for J. Upton? OF's Yelich&Ozuna +Nolasco (Or another pitcher, u named it) for him. ???

I don't think we have the prospects in the system to make a deal for Justin Upton.

I mean, there's a possibility that we could put together a package at this point, but then we have absolutely no farm system.

Your proposed deal doesn't make sense from Arizona's point of view.

Upton is worth more than Yelich and Ozuna (a raw prospect, extremely questionable how his skills will develop/translate).

Nolasco has minimal value. In some cases, he might have negative value.

I don't think we have the prospects in the system to make a deal for Justin Upton.

I mean, there's a possibility that we could put together a package at this point, but then we have absolutely no farm system.

Upton is worth more than Yelich and Ozuna (a raw prospect, extremely questionable how his skills will develop/translate).

Man, Erick, you're such an unknowing bitch. :|

Exactly! I get what ur saying, maybe not nolasco but some other player like chad james etc. but we wont have good players in da farm. Just wanted to know what you guys think, ppl were tellin me IT WAS 2 MUCH FOR UPTON tho!!!! lol

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.