Hanley, Choate to LA for Eovaldi, McGough

No to Crawford. Even worst contract for what? hopefully, maybe, a slightly better player right now? No thank you.

Hanley for prospects was the only choice.

Also, many of us disappointed with the Hanley trade should firstly; only be disappointed with what we got for him, not for the trade itself, Hanley needed to go; and secondly, if disappointed by what we got, we should understand that Hanleys contract was difficult to move, and perhaps this was the best deal available to us without actually paying for the majority of his salary.

Heres an interesting question,

Between what we know now and looking back to the Carl Crawford talk. Which would you have done?

Depending on what the A's were offering I probably go trade him there.

I wasn't a big fan of trading him now because as we just saw, his value had cratered and almost certainly we lose that trade (since he's only 28 and I doubt he'll continue to hit .240 forever).

It's a salary dump/big shakeup. That's about it.

I'm also personally under the belief that just because we dumped this salary doesn't mean we go out and spend again this winter. My guess is that Loria was willing to spend the money to 'win now', but since that's clearly not happening he's going to keep the payroll in the $65-85 million range.

Between what we know now and looking back to the Carl Crawford talk. Which would you have done?

I wasn't a big fan of trading him now because as we just saw, his value had cratered and almost certainly we lose that trade (since he's only 28 and I doubt he'll continue to hit .240 forever).

I'm also personally under the belief that just because we dumped this salary doesn't mean we go out and spend again this winter. My guess is that Loria was willing to spend the money to 'win now', but since that's clearly not happening he's going to keep the payroll in the $65-85 million range.

That would be one of the first things he could do as far as the fanbase goes. I dont see him being that stupid now that he has brought in the new stadium. Im guessing if anything, the lowest would be around 85 million.

That would be one of the first things he could do as far as the fanbase goes. I dont see him being that stupid now that he has brought in the new stadium. Im guessing if anything, the lowest would be around 85 million.

We'll see. I just highly doubt they go out and sign someone to a long-term deal again this year.

Wow. Just... f***. The fact that they didn't get Lee is bad. I think, definitely with the inclusion of Choate, we should have been able to get Lee instead of Eovaldi.

We better do something amazing with the money we're saving. If we don't, this is an awful trade.

The Dodgers are very high on Lee and they weren't going to trade him for this kind of gamble. It was pretty clear that if we traded Hanley, the return was going to be almost nil because we were dumping salary.

Although reportedly the A's offered us a deal with better prospects, but we would have still had to pay about half of the $35 million or so Hanley's still owed, so it didn't happen.

We'll see. I just highly doubt they go out and sign someone to a long-term deal again this year.

Im guessing any outfielder gets a 2-4 year deal to make way for Yelich.

As others have pointed out, a .750 OPSing third baseman who can't field his position and costs $15 mil a year doesn't have a lot of trade value. That we managed to dump his entire salary and get a young live arm is pretty amazing in and of itself. The '07-'09 Hanley could've been traded for future stars. The '12 Hanley, not so much.

I'll be extremely happy if we could use the 38 million from Hanley's contract to get Wright/Hamilton.

So would I, but we both know that's not happening. I would also think that Wright gets $19-22 million a year for probably 6-7 years in his next contract. He's arguably the best guy at his position in the entire game.

Hamilton will probably make less, but still around $15-18 million I would assume.

Sox asked about Hanley:

The Red Sox asked the Marlins about Hanley Ramirez before last night’s trade, but Boston’s interest was in acquiring the infielder and flipping him to a third team, Rob Bradford of WEEI.com reports. It sounds as though the Red Sox were going to flip Ramirez to either the A’s or the Dodgers, Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe reports (on Twitter).

Xander Bogaerts would've been nice to get and transition to 3B.

I guess in the end I'm really glad Hanley's attitude is gone from this team. While I do think he was just having an off year and will probably start hitting at least quite a bit better next year, he was awful at 3B (and I don't see that improving, personally) and just had a terrible demeanor. Especially with Ozzie as our manager, I'm really glad to see his childish ways gone. I'm interested to see how he fits in in LA, where he won't be the franchise player. Maybe he'll take a step back and grow up.

As for the trade itself, like I said, as long as we do something major with the money we've already saved and might still save by getting rid of Nolasco, Bell and Buck's salaries, I don't think it's too terrible. I still think we could've gotten more, though.