Hanley, Choate to LA for Eovaldi, McGough

SportsWorld

Say what you will about the man, but Hanley is on absolute fire right now.

From what I saw in the LA-Marlins series, Hanley seemed to have shortened his swing a bunch from that long, flashy home run swing. Supposedly (according to Rich and Tommy), Eduardo Perez had been trying to get Hanley to work on that all season.

Eduardo and Tony Perez, Andre Dawson: "You need to shorten your swing, and a smaller leg kick."

Hanley: "I can't figure this out."

Don Mattingly and whoever the hitting coach in LA is: "You need to shorten your swing, and a smaller leg kick."

Hanley: "It all makes sense now!"

That's pretty much why Hanley had to go. It's possible that he can be a great player again, but I don't think he was ever going to do it in Miami.

Ozzie Guillen not surprised.

http://espn.go.com/m...st-homer-antics

What's dumber, making that stupid gesture while rounding the bases, or the manager of a last place team criticizing a player on another team for making a stupid gesture while rounding the bases?

Ozzie likes to act like he's old school, but he is a horrible attention whore himself.

Hanley has a little spring in his step now in a new city and with a new team. But, once a lazy, self-entitled, immature, prima donna; always a lazy, self-entitled, immature, prima-donna.

Don't worry yourselves, before long, Hanley will be back to his antics and tantrums. You just cant change how people are.

Hanley has a little spring in his step now in a new city and with a new team. But, once a lazy, self-entitled, immature, prima donna; always a lazy, self-entitled, immature, prima-donna.

Don't worry yourselves, before long, Hanley will be back to his antics and tantrums. You just cant change how people are.

That doesn't say anything about his play. If he continues this run with the Dodgers no one will care about his antics.

People just need to forget about him already. He doesn't play for us anymore. I hope this topic gets locked.

• 1 year later...

Not even close. Hanley put up a 5 WAR last year. To this point, we got creamed, even including salary. If Eovaldi hits his ceiling, then it's maybe not awful, but there's basically no way we "won" this trade.

I don't know where I said we "won" this trade anywhere. I just said it's pretty even. Hanley put up a 5 WAR last year... For how much money? And what's he doing this year for like $17 Mill? And how much value is he gonna bring LA for the next three years when he's playing in New York and Eovaldi is still here?

Pretty even deal IMO.

I don't think Hanley is as good as people think. I feel like he'll put up similar numbers to those he was putting up in his last couple years here. They aren't bad numbers, but it's not 5 WAR. I peg him closer to 3-3.5 WAR. Don't get me wrong, that's not a bad player to have - however, I think the trade will end up being pretty even.

even years later that doesn't change the fact that AT THE TIME with the info available this was a pretty pathetic return for hanley. i like Eovaldi a lot but that deal was still a lame duck at the time.

Not really, at the time Hanley was underperforming and way over paid. The advantage for LA was the hope he could turn it around. The hope for us was to save the cash and add a power arm with potential.

It worked out both ways IMO.

I have a feeling a lot of people are going to wake up tomorrow morning pissed.

Who the **** is Nathan Eovaldi?

Wow.

Wow.

WOW!

I guess we know now......so far this didn't turn out to be a horrible mistake and a bust. Beinfest must have been doing dugs that day.

I don't know where I said we "won" this trade anywhere. I just said it's pretty even. Hanley put up a 5 WAR last year... For how much money? And what's he doing this year for like $17 Mill? And how much value is he gonna bring LA for the next three years when he's playing in New York and Eovaldi is still here?

Pretty even deal IMO.

I didn't say you said we won. We didn't win. And it's not remotely even thus far. You'll extrapolate from 30 games to fit stuff within your rose-colored glasses, but that doesn't mean it's accurate. And even with what looks like a very unlucky start for Hanley (based on LD%, HR/FB%, and BABIP), he's still on pace for a 3+ WAR season.

I didn't say you said we won. We didn't win. And it's not remotely even thus far. You'll extrapolate from 30 games to fit stuff within your rose-colored glasses, but that doesn't mean it's accurate. And even with what looks like a very unlucky start for Hanley (based on LD%, HR/FB%, and BABIP), he's still on pace for a 3+ WAR season.

And what's Eovaldi on pace for?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.