I Feel Bad For The Tampa Bay Rays

marlins1994

Loria will kill the marlins and the rays will move to Miami.

I actually hope this happens. It will be hard to pull off because of the lease agreements.

I'd like to see the Loria Marlins contracted and the Rays franchise become the new Marlins.

In order to get out of St. Pete the Rays would have to find a tenet for Tropicana field.

I wonder if anyone has every just paid the lease while playing elsewhere?

I guarantee at least 80% of casual Marlin fans have a new team after the trade. Yankees and Rays probably the two top choices.

80%??? No way man. And I'm one that hated this on Tuesday, I emailed Samson and my season ticket rep and told them to stick it. But now that I'm more level headed about it, while I'm still not happy, I'm seeing the silver linings. Bottom line, in a few years we could be a solid, youthful club with serious payroll flexibility. Point being... I can't say I'm not a Marlins fan anymore. 80% is just way too high a number here. The only ones who have completely moved on to a new team are those who weren't diehard fans to begin with.

I guarantee at least 80% of casual Marlin fans have a new team after the trade. Yankees and Rays probably the two top choices.

80%??? No way man. And I'm one that hated this on Tuesday, I emailed Samson and my season ticket rep and told them to stick it. But now that I'm more level headed about it, while I'm still not happy, I'm seeing the silver linings. Bottom line, in a few years we could be a solid, youthful club with serious payroll flexibility. Point being... I can't say I'm not a Marlins fan anymore. 80% is just way too high a number here. The only ones who have completely moved on to a new team are those who weren't diehard fans to begin with.

Lol Don't get me wrong. As long as the Marlins are in Florida, I'm a die hard fan. However, Only true Marlin fans like myself can understand this trade. The only thing I didn't want in this trade is Escobar and Bonifacio. Other than it, I think it's a fair trade. But most casual fans don't see it that way. They see it as Fire Sale: Part III.

Lol Don't get me wrong. As long as the Marlins are in Florida, I'm a die hard fan. However, Only true Marlin fans like myself can understand this trade. The only thing I didn't want in this trade is Escobar and Bonifacio. Other than it, I think it's a fair trade. But most casual fans don't see it that way. They see it as Fire Sale: Part III.

My bad, I just realized u said 80% of CASUAL fans... which was my argument as well. The diehards wont leave but yeah, casuals? They're out the door already.

super fan marlins1994 believes that this is not a fire sale. adorable.

no it really isnt ... its only 12 players that were in the roster at the begining of last year that have been traded away.

Doesn't sound like a firesale to me.

Sounds more like someone holding a garage sale for 5 months on ebay.

no it really isnt ... its only 12 players that were in the roster at the begining of last year that have been traded away.

And finally, someone bought the most expensive item.

And finally, someone bought the most expensive item.

Yup, and all that money you were saving up to do something with has dried up, so you sold it all for nothing.

This is 2005 regarding Marlins relocation:

As of now, the Marlins are entertaining calls from other markets. Samson didn't mention any specific cities or areas, but he noted that the places that expressed interest when the Montreal Expos relocated to Washington are likely candidates.

Las Vegas, northern New Jersey, Portland, Ore., Monterrey, Mexico, and Northern Virginia are likely choices.

http://mlb.mlb.com/n...d=mlb&fext=.jsp

I see NY/Brooklyn being the place they land.

Rays coming to Miami would be exciting, and sharing the park would be ideal fan wise- but I don't see it happening.

Yea, if the Rays and Marlins shared, that would be pretty cool. I don't think any two baseball teams have shared a field ever for a season or more, correct?

The Yankees share Shea stadium with the Mets when yankee stadium was beening renovate, can't remember the year.

This is 2005 regarding Marlins relocation:

As of now, the Marlins are entertaining calls from other markets. Samson didn't mention any specific cities or areas, but he noted that the places that expressed interest when the Montreal Expos relocated to Washington are likely candidates.

Las Vegas, northern New Jersey, Portland, Ore., Monterrey, Mexico, and Northern Virginia are likely choices.

http://mlb.mlb.com/n...d=mlb&fext=.jsp

I see NY/Brooklyn being the place they land.

Rays coming to Miami would be exciting, and sharing the park would be ideal fan wise- but I don't see it happening.

Yea, if the Rays and Marlins shared, that would be pretty cool. I don't think any two baseball teams have shared a field ever for a season or more, correct?

The Yankees share Shea stadium with the Mets when yankee stadium was beening renovate, can't remember the year.

1974, and '75, I believe.

Yeah, its sad that a competent organization like the Rays will probably have to move, while a bunch of scumbags like Loria & Co get to keep their plundering.

Only difference between the two is St. Pete's mayor refuses to discuss a New Ballpark and is holding the Rays to their lease, essentially forcing them to play in Tropicana until 2027. The earliest they can escape is 2016 I think with penalties.

The Marlins lease at Sunlife was expired in 2009 and renewed on a year to year basis until Marlins Park was finished.

The biggest difference? While the Rays are locked into St. Pete for atleast a decade, with no hopes of relocating soon- the Marlins were told by Sunlife Stadiums owners they were no longer welcomed as tenets full time.

The Marlins were in danger of being a Homeless teen. Meanwhile the Rays according to St.Pete is the teenager going to college two miles from home and wants their own apartment- paid for by their parents.

- My opinion is St. Pete is being unreasonable and the Rays need that ballpark- but they are in the right (Legally)to keep them at the Trop.

OK, that explains a little better. I like the teenager analogy. Marlins = Parents kicked you out at 18. Rays = Spoiled Teenager.

Atleast in St. Pete's eyes.

My feeling is the Rays are a undernourished teenager but MLB can't legally remove them from their home.

Here's to hoping St. Pete gets caught selling drugs and Child Services removes them!

I think Charlotte and Oklahoma City are realistic places to look for expansion/relocation.

I haven't looked at Oklahoma City, but there is no part of NC that is dense enough population-wise to support a MLB team.

MLB would be better off contracting before moving a team to NC.

I think Charlotte and Oklahoma City are realistic places to look for expansion/relocation.

I haven't looked at Oklahoma City, but there is no part of NC that is dense enough population-wise to support a MLB team.

What about the part that hosts the Panthers, Hurricanes and Bobcats.

LOL

TV homes are more important than raw population because of the way RSN's work.

The Carolina TV footprint becomes fairly big when you include Greenville, Greensboro, Charlotte and Raleigh. More importantly it is the only area left that another team doesn't call it their own. The Braves, Orioles and Nats can all be seen there.

http://tvbythenumber...2012-13/146976/

Portland,Oregon is a major part of the Mariners TV package.Indianapolis is too close to Cincinnatti, Austin is claimed by both the Astros and Rangers.

The largest metro area without baseball is Riverside, California but they are dead broke.

http://en.wikipedia....atistical_Areas

Baseball failed in Montreal but it was not for lack of fan support. The 1994 strike and then the firesales just broke our hearts. Stade Olympique was horrific for baseball.

The economic climate here has changed. The looney is now equal to the USD. TV and radio money now exists. Quebec City will have the NHL by 2015 ( NHL is hinting expansion ).

Don't ever try and tell me we didn't care about the game. Ask Dave Van Horne which is the better market (South Florida or Quebec) and he will say Montreal.

Here is the proof

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mzDqrxaxvM

For those that didn't understand the French portion here is the translation:

Dear Fans, This Thursday we lost a true legend when the ex-catcher of the Montreal Expos, Gary Carter, died at the age of 57 after a courageous battle against cancer. Carter played in 11 all-star games during his 19 year Major League Baseball career. The first 11 of which he spent with Nos Amours (Expos nickname which means "Our Love") In 1986 he was a key element with the New York Mets when they surprised the Boston Red Sox in winning the World Series. He briefly wore the colors of the Giants and Dodgers before returning to us here in Montreal to complete his career in 1992 in a memorable way when he hit a double over the head of his former teammate Andre Dawson in the final at bat of his career.

Charlotte would be the ideal city for relocation in NC as it would pull from South Carolina as well since it is right on the boarder. Charlotte has also stepped nicely with the Mass Transit.

The triple A Charlotte Knights have been trying to get a stadium built near the Panthers arena but a lawyer keeps blocking the deal because by building the arena, it basically means no MLB stadium and he's an advocate for MLB.

The rays would be the perfect candidate to relocate to NC. The Rays could have a nice thing going with the Durham bulls, their triple a team about 3 hours away.

If they build a nice 37,000 seat ballpark In charlotte and have a nicely run organization, I think it would be successful. Maybe not sellouts but Successful.

You know I love you Piazza but I don't see the point of giving Brooklyn a team when you have 2 other franchises within a the New York metropolitan area and they can't even get close to selling out.

What about the part that hosts the Panthers, Hurricanes and Bobcats.

LOL

Those are baseball teams within the baseball financial system? And play 162 games?